Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
n3wb
n3wb will become famous soon enoughn3wb will become famous soon enoughn3wb will become famous soon enoughn3wb will become famous soon enoughn3wb will become famous soon enoughn3wb will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2
Anyone else's Kindle 2 "ghost," or leave previous page on-screen?

I just recently got my kindle and I've noticed that I can always see - very faintly - the previous page on the screen. After a little googling, I've found that some people call this effect "ghosting." Is this normal for a kindle 2?
n3wb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3wb View Post
I just recently got my kindle and I've noticed that I can always see - very faintly - the previous page on the screen. After a little googling, I've found that some people call this effect "ghosting." Is this normal for a kindle 2?
It is a known "feature" of the K2 and the DX - press Alt g to refresh the screen - this will remove the ghosting.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
It is a known "feature" of the K2 and the DX - press Alt g to refresh the screen - this will remove the ghosting.
Yep.

You'd think someone at Amazon would notice it too, and have it fixed....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #4
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Yeah both Kindle 2's that I have show the ghosting issue. It doesn't bother my wife, and since I changed my screen saver image it doesn't bother me. However Alt+G will do a manual screen refresh and take care of it.

Also it's been my experience that after reading a few pages the ghosting on text is no longer apparent (that may be because the eink isn't static as long or it could be that I just get too engrossed in my book to notice anymore).
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Tee
Tee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I wish I had read this post 3 mos. ago when I got my Kindle 2. I have complained to customer service at least 3 times about this and each time I was told that I was the only person complaining about this! They have sent me 2 replacements (that I recently found out were refurbished) and each time I had the same problem. So thank you for these posts, unfortunately now I am stuck with a refurbished device when mine would have been only 3 mos old.
Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
It still pisses me off to tell you the truth. My sony didnt do it and they share the same screen... the freaking SAME screen!
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
After I updated to the most recent update I noticed that the ghosting was not nearly as bad as previously. Especially when coming back from off of screensaver.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
While reading a book, the topmost and bottommost line(s) aren't refreshed, since the book doesn't use those areas. I haven't seen ghosting in any other areas of the screen, but maybe I've been lucky!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
All eInk screens exhibit ghosting to a greater or lesser extent; it's a characteristic of the screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have ghosting occasionally but a quick ALT-G fixes it. Since the last two updates I haven't had to manually refresh the screen.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #11
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Kindle's answer to the ghost effect

Just thought I would point this out to the subscribers of this thread... I don't intend to be patronising in any way at all... I just think that what I am about to point out is pretty ingenius....

Have you ever wondered why the screen flashes to black when a new page is loaded?

Think of it this way.... A ghost image of the previous page is unavoidable... it's just the way the technology is (given that we have electronic ink that we can view in full sunlight, I think its a good compromise... anyway, back on-track)...

What the Kindle does is this... (when I realised this, it nearly blew my mind at how ingenious it is...)

... the Kindle loads the next page (the one it is changing to) as a negative of itself... in other words... the background of the new page is active ink (black) while the text is inactive ink (nothing)... then it reverses the page so that the text is the active ink.

The reason for this is an absolutely awesome workaround for the ghost problem...

THE GHOST FOR THE PAGE YOU ARE LOOKING AT IS THE BACKGROUND OF THAT CURRENT PAGE !!!

(due to the loading of the negative version of that page beforehand... if the kindle went straight from one page to the next it would obviously be illegible)

Obviously is doesn't work that well with some of the Kindles and I'm guessing that it is something that has happened to your particular Kindle during production because the only time I have ever seen a ghost is on the screensavers images (because it doesn't load a negative version first)... which is why it clicked why the screen flashes to black when changes pages.

I give Amazon a standing ovation for having designed the Kindle in this way (even if by chance it wasn't their own work that designed the epaper and eink display and the ghost workaround)... to this day my Kindle just blows my mind away!

*** I'm in Australia by the way, and I got my Kindle 2i from ebay Xmas 09... Kobo has just hit Borders and Angus&Robertson and our other major book retailer Dymocks has the bebook, while our HiFi and Office suppliers are starting to catch on as well... Officeworks here has 4 ereaders now including a blue-backlight LCD non-eink reader.... the stores are selling out as people catch on!!! GO EREADERS!!! ***
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I noticed the ghosting when I first got the device. Then I simply forgot about it. I've never experienced the ghosting effect anywhere on the actual "page" of a book. Which is the only place it would annoy me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #13
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
as far as I know this is perfectly normal my sony DOES in fact also do this. I have the sony PRS 500 (2 of them) and a kindle DX. they both do this. I assume its part and parcel with eink and its NOT distracting at all. Just a curiosity quickly forgotten.

the altg is nice to know about. the longer or DARKER something is the more obvious the effect is.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
as far as I know this is perfectly normal
Not rare (based on reports here), but not normal for the Kindle (I've never seen it on my K2i, and only occasionally on my Kindle Classic). On my Cybook Gen3, there is a user setting for refresh of the e-ink screen, and if set to the faster option, I do consistently see the ghosting as a byproduct (so I don't choose that option!).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
well most of the time its too light to notice and most of the time people will simply not notice it unless they are looking for it or happen to catch it and it bothers them.

IE the brain does amazing filtering on its own.
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote