Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #61
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
While the Ottawa Public Library uses Overdrive to deliver e-books, it appears that the integration needed to use the Overdrive service on the KA1 isn't there yet. For example, I can't link OPL to my Overdrive.com account.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #62
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura, and older devices lounging in my bookcase.
Interesting. Although, the Overdrive option should appear anyway, right, as it has nothing to do with any particular library.
beachboybogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2017, 04:19 PM   #63
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
While the Ottawa Public Library uses Overdrive to deliver e-books, it appears that the integration needed to use the Overdrive service on the KA1 isn't there yet. For example, I can't link OPL to my Overdrive.com account.
That is a bummer. I'm really enjoying the library sync.

I know it isn't that big a deal to grab an ePub, pull it into ADE, and side-load to your Kobo, but it sure is nice to skip all of that process.

Does the OPL have any stated timeline on when it will work?
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:59 PM   #64
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
Interestingly, on my new Kobo Aura ONE purchased through Chapters in December 2016, Overdrive has never shown up. Now that I have a library card in Ottawa, I figured it was worth a try. I have the latest update for software (4.2.8283), but Overdrive options are not listed on the settings page, or available from the Search function. I do have the new "wishlist", and everything else is just fine.

Tech support recommended a factory reset, which I guess is the only way to go. But that's not a happy thought, considering the time and effort I've put into setting it up the way I like it. I also cannot imagine how a basic feature of the software functionality could be missing at birth, so to speak.
Weird that it isn't showing up from a Chapters purchased device. The only thing you might want to do is check your affiliate config setting and make sure it's "Chapters" or "Kobo" or "Bestbuyca" (basically any of the affiliates from area's where OD is available). If it has "Rakuten" IIRC it assumes Japanese and doesn't show OD since it's not available there.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #65
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if there is a strange IP address involved? I was under the impression that Kobo used geolocation as an initial determination as to whether OverDrive was available.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #66
beachboybogart
Connoisseur
beachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litterbeachboybogart doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Weird that it isn't showing up from a Chapters purchased device. The only thing you might want to do is check your affiliate config setting and make sure it's "Chapters" or "Kobo" or "Bestbuyca" (basically any of the affiliates from area's where OD is available). If it has "Rakuten" IIRC it assumes Japanese and doesn't show OD since it's not available there.
I'm not sure what the "affiliate config setting" actually is.

Last edited by beachboybogart; 02-03-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #67
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachboybogart View Post
I'm not sure what the "affiliate config setting" actually it.
In the .kobo directory on your Kobo, there is a file called affiliate.conf which contains the Kobo affiliate your ereader was purchased through or whatever affiliate you choose to enter. On mine, the contents of the file were:
Code:
[General]
affiliate=KoboIndigo
Though I have changed the affiliate on my KA1 to:
Code:
[General]
affiliate=Kobo
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #68
beachboybogart
Connoisseur

affiliate file

Thanks, I will check it out.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:53 PM   #69
Saikogrrl
Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Device: Kobo Aura One
It worked great for me at first, found a book in the store, went to drop down menu and borrowed/downloaded it. Even the books I had checked out through my library's overdrive website automatically synced to the device. So seamless.

BUT. Then I realised that some of the books I could see were definitely available on my library's overdrive website did not show up as available to borrow under that book's kobo store listing. And after I borrowed those books through my library's overdrive page, they did not sync to the kobo like the other library books did. It seems so random too which ones show up and which don't. And I've checked the ISBNs, they're definitely the same edition.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

I had a lengthy chat with Kobo support and in the end their message was basically: anything at all to do with library books is Overdrive responsibility and not theirs. So I contacted Overdrive and of course they claim they can't help either and say it's a Kobo issue. Cue tableflip from me.

I don't understand why this is happening and why neither company are willing to take responsibility for bugs.

It's especially frustrating since the overdrive feature is 80% of the reason I even bought the new Kobo Aura One. :-(
Saikogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #70
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikogrrl View Post
Then I realised that some of the books I could see were definitely available on my library's overdrive website did not show up as available to borrow under that book's kobo store listing. And after I borrowed those books through my library's overdrive page, they did not sync to the kobo like the other library books did. It seems so random too which ones show up and which don't. And I've checked the ISBNs, they're definitely the same edition.

Has anyone else run into this problem?
Yes, I have experienced this frustration. Like you said they are the same editions and it appears to be random. Several other people have commented on this issue as well.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #71
Saikogrrl
Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.Saikogrrl seizes *every* day. In the original latin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, I have experienced this frustration. Like you said they are the same editions and it appears to be random. Several other people have commented on this issue as well.
Thanks for your reply. In some ways it's good to know I'm not alone, but also I was holding out hope that maybe it was an issue with my specific device and that if I got it replaced everything would be fine. :-(

Have you or any others with this problem tried contacting Kobo or Overdrive support? What did they say to you about it?
Saikogrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #72
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saikogrrl View Post
Thanks for your reply. In some ways it's good to know I'm not alone, but also I was holding out hope that maybe it was an issue with my specific device and that if I got it replaced everything would be fine. :-(

Have you or any others with this problem tried contacting Kobo or Overdrive support? What did they say to you about it?
It's probably a bit of both. One of the problems is the different editions of a book. Is the one in the OD library the same edition as the one in the Kobo store? They might need to match on ISBN or some other detail. Kobo might be able to match all editions somehow. The chances of there being mistakes that need to be fixed with something like this is pretty high. The problem then become finding the person who can fix it.

Also, there might be something coming from the publishers. It wouldn't surprise me if some didn't allow this connection to happen. I don't know if this is the case, but the behaviour of some of the publishers in other ways suggests it is likely.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #73
Bugsb
Bugsb began at the beginning.

Be careful where you purchase your Kobo Aura One from! I am from NZ but travelling in Italy. I purchased a KA1 looking forward to accessing books from my NZ library using Overdrive. However after starting up the device I couldn't find Overdrive in the Settings menu. I contacted Kobo customer support and after some back and forth chat about the problem was told:

"Some checks was done and we are seeing that the Overdrive, does not come on the device from Italy. The app cannot be added by downloading it. You will need to take the device back to the store for a refund of the device. Upon purchasing a device from a store it should have being checked by you the customer to see if the app was on it since it was from a different country that you are from. That is how the device is sold in countries that does not use Overdrive to access books."

I don't see how I was supposed to know to even ask, the Kobo website only states:

"Get connected to your local public library right from your Kobo Aura ONE with built-in OverDrive.* Set-up is easy and free, all you need is your library card. With one integrated catalogue, Kobo and your Local Library make it easy to search for the eBook you want and choose to borrow or buy, it’s that simple.
*Dependent on library participation, available throughout most public libraries in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand. eBook availability will vary based on library."

It only mentions that accessing Overdrive is dependent on library participation, nowhere does it state that Overdrive is only installed on devices sold in these countries and cannot be installed on devices sold in other countries. I can only hope the store will refund me for this device. Needless to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed with my experience with Kobo!!!

Note: I made sure my Kobo account was set to NZ and the affiliate on the device was Kobo. Still no Overdrive...

Last edited by Bugsb; 07-21-2017 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Added detail
Bugsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:11 PM   #74
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsb View Post
It only mentions that accessing Overdrive is dependent on library participation, nowhere does it state that Overdrive is only installed on devices sold in these countries and cannot be installed on devices sold in other countries. I can only hope the store will refund me for this device. Needless to say I am EXTREMELY disappointed with my experience with Kobo!!!

Note: I made sure my Kobo account was set to NZ and the affiliate on the device was Kobo. Still no Overdrive...
I don't understand. My Kobo Aura One has been purchased in Spain, no Overdrive here, but with an account based in USA I have Overdrive in my device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM   #75
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The firmware is the same regardless of where the device is bought. No additional code is installed to activate library support

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote