Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 05:12 AM   #1
sirbill
sirbill began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Kindle Paperwhite stucks in demo mode. How to sovle it.

Hi everybody,

I have my Kindle Paperwhite, but it stucks in demo mode. I read that there is method to solve demo mode with K3, K4 and Touch, but does it work for PaperWhite. If you have experience with this one, please help me. Thank you so much.
sirbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Where did you get "your" Paperwhite from? I'd say you should contact Amazon support.

"Demo mode" is not a problem, so not something to "solve". It is an intended mode of operation. That said, yes, you can flash "normal"/"customer" firmware for K3/K4/K5. But there is no way to put a KPW into USB downloader mode, so this wouldn't work for the KPW. Only option might be serial connection, but I'm not aware of a how-to description.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
Where did you get "your" Paperwhite from? I'd say you should contact Amazon support.

"Demo mode" is not a problem, so not something to "solve". It is an intended mode of operation. That said, yes, you can flash "normal"/"customer" firmware for K3/K4/K5. But there is no way to put a KPW into USB downloader mode, so this wouldn't work for the KPW. Only option might be serial connection, but I'm not aware of a how-to description.
I completely agree with hawhill. A *DEMO* device is a device which Amazon made available for demonstration purposes, not for ordinary use.

If you want to flash one of these devices with the regular firmware: get your hands dirty and put together the clues available in this forum, but don't expect any further support. We're not gonna do it for you.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Innomen
Innomen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard
Wow. That's just about the most rude and presumptive set of responses I've seen on this forum and that's saying something.

What do you people expect to happen to old demo units? Dropped in a shredder? It's called the secondary market. Look into it.

Or you know you could just say "I don't know"
[Edited by moderator] Guidelines 1. Discuss Things Politely

P.S. For actual polite responses see here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182219

But the news isn't good :/

Last edited by twobob; 10-06-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Innomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
They do know.
EDIT: Please try to keep the discussion civil.

But anyways.
Yeah flash a working image via serial connection is the best option AFAIK

Last edited by twobob; 10-06-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2644816&postcount=12
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay Okay....

Grumpiness aside.

You will need to solder onto 2mm pins inside the unit.
You will need the CORRECT serial cable.
You will need valid PW Root filesystem image.

There is a guy on here somewheres who does it for you, for like $20 IIRC.
perhaps he will chime in with the relevant commands at some point.

Hope this helps.

There is also this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=196367
which is worth a read

Last edited by twobob; 09-25-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Innomen

Quote:
That helped. not.
Which one of us posted a helpful link first again?

Oh right. Me
Old 09-27-2013, 02:34 AM   #8
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I respect your wish for general politeness in this board, but be assured that you fully misread actually helpful advice as being rude.

Nevertheless, I'd like to re-emphase the point that there is currently *no* way for the Kindle Paperwhite, which *this* thread is about, to be re-flashed like the other Kindle models. For the others, true, the thread you linked might be a reference (I argue it's more of a discussion, though). Not so for the KPW. As I wrote above, there is no USB Downloader mode. As I also wrote (and twobob detailed above), a serial connection might be the only way. We do not currently have a walk-through guide for re-flashing using the serial port. It probably has been done, though.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innomen View Post
Which one of us posted a helpful link first again?

Oh right. Me
sigh... subject, change, context, out-of, much

Here endeth my input.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #10
Innomen

[Edited by moderator] Reasons: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12

Last edited by twobob; 10-06-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: posting guidelines
Old 10-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

scnr.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
twobob

Moderated.

Checked with posting_guidelines.
This isn't within them.

Moderator Notice

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines
1. Discuss Things Politely
2. Staying on Topic
4. Quotation
Please do not misrepresent someone else's views when involved in a discussion. When quoting, feel free to quote a section, rather than the whole post.

Last edited by twobob; 10-06-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
ZakCom
ZakCom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ZakCom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ZakCom has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Hi everyone

1)charge your device and make sure it has at least 50% battery
2) tap the magnifying glass on the home page.
3) enter the text ";demo" (that is a semicolon + the word demo) in the searchbar. This will open the demo configuration screen.
4) select the 'Resell Device' option and confirm when asked.

The kindle should now start up in normal mode. It worked for me. Good luck!
ZakCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:21 PM   #14
usherj1
usherj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
ZakCom's method is correct. I received a demo mode Kindle, by accident, direct from Amazon today, and I thought for sure it would need to go back. Luckily, the ;demo menu saves the day. The intolerable first responders in this forum should drown themselves in a lake and save us the trouble of reading their comments.
usherj1 is offline   Reply With Quote