Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
NTG Screen Totally Unresponsive

My nook was gotten for me as an easter gift by relatives. Unfortunately it got bumped against the diningroom table. Screen shows the last page i was on no visible cracks defects Nothing. However it does not change. Tapping different areas does nothing. Hitting the side buttons does nothing. Power button does nothing. However the glow light thing will go o and when it's on the file system is accessible (which let me get everything I had /off/ of it.)

Trouble is because it's a drop not covered under base warrentee and I don't have the receipt (they didn't include that in with the box.)

I've seen ifixit's teardown so tempted to pull it apart see if the screen cable has come unseated (But I don't have a torx set. boo.) Any ideas if that's what it could be or if i"m looking to have to replace the whole frelling screen?
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaras View Post
Trouble is because it's a drop not covered under base warrentee and I don't have the receipt (they didn't include that in with the box.)
If it was a bump and not a drop, maybe it would be covered. Did you ask relatives if they still have receipt? Or any other way to show when/where it was purchased?

There are other people are this forum who know a lot more about this sort of thing than I, and if the screen is indeed the problem this won't work, but might be worth trying: plug nook into PC and press the power button for thirty seconds or so.

I also found an entry on a blog, where someone had the same problem and fixed it. Among other things it involved removing the battery. It was for an original nook though ...
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've heard the battery trick also works on the Touch and I'm going t otry getting reletives to return it since if they have the reciept well.. they have the reciept and not me. Getting a torx is looking like a likely purchase in the near future.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Got nook open and unplugged battery for a half hour. Let charge for another half hour.

No visible change to screen.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazaras View Post
Got nook open and unplugged battery for a half hour. Let charge for another half hour.

No visible change to screen.
Hmmm, the solutions on the blog talked about removing battery several times and letting it charge for several hours. Did you try that?

Was it difficult to get at battery without torx tools? If you do get the receipt, hope it's not obvious that you opened it. I think that might cancel the one-year warranty.

Didn't know about the ifixit site. It is now bookmarked. Looked at torx tools yesterday, lol.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Tried that. Tried loading it up with noogie to see what'd happen there (when plugged in after bootup my computer saw all the partitions, which was normal.)

Maybe i didn't pull the battery enough times.

I used a really REALLY small flathead (small enough that it fit in the t5 screw and apparently saw a couple edges as a slot.)

Edit: And if this was barns and noble I wouldn't have bothered opening since it's rooted. However walmart purchase so hoping a return is still possile.

Screen's stuck on coolreader with a book open so. Yea.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm just grabbing at straws here:

I wonder what would happen if you plugged it into your computer and then deleted that book that it's stuck on?

--- Remember: just grabbing at straws.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Lazaras
Enthusiast

The book was on a SD card which has been removed.

Tempted to try using the offline upgrade file from barns and noble to 1.2.1 but I dunno what that'll do to a rooted nook.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Once you root it, I don't think its covered under warranty, is it? I just got a nook and I"m debating between rooting it or returning it. But I'm afraid of something like that happening and losing my money.

I'll be interested know know what happens. My eSlick used to do that, but charging it fully would solve the problem.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Lazaras
Enthusiast

The one hope i have is the guy at walmart doesn't open the bx up other than 'yep. thing is in there.'

Otherwise i"m kinda hosed. And Rooting isn t what broke it. It's the drop without some kind of cover that made it go all wonky (sadly the screen cable looked fine. Then again I didn't take it all the way apart due to how much tape/glue was supposedly holding everything together.)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Hi,
I had a non responsive nook tablet a few months ago. When I called Barnes and Noble they looked up the registration date on their computer and didn't need any receipt...and I originally purchased my nook at walmart. People get upset when they have to create an account when first using their reader but this actually saved me because I lost the receipt a long time ago.

Penny
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #12
Lazaras
Enthusiast

Barns and Noble were the first people I'd called but turns out 'woops we don't actually cover that.'

So right now it's in a computer shop.

Run by a priest.

Yes. Techpriests are working on my tablet.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
Both the st and glow use an infrared beam which can be blocked by dirt and debris. maybe bumping it caused some debris to be lodged in the edge. I would clean the screen and edge whenever there are issues with it not being responsive.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote