Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
linelle
linelle began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The books of summer

Here are some books I am returning to:

A Vanished World by Anne Sneller. This luminous memoir of growing up in rural New York is a hidden gem.

Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson. More luminescence, and a beautiful title. Go for the illustrated version.

Life Among the Savages and Raising Demons by Shirley Jackson. Tart, smart, funny, and magical. Though written in the 1950s, they have dated surprisingly little.

What are your books of summer?

Last edited by dreams; 07-15-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: personal blog link removed - moderator
linelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Any books I read in the summer are my books of summer.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
The Magus - John Fowles

I read this one per year every summer.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Geeze lindsey you know what your books of summer are going to be? I typically start the summer with a fair idea of what I am going to read and go off a completly different direction such that by the time fall roles around I have gone off a completly different direction. Its gotten to the point that I typically do not map out my litterature for the entire summer any more.

So far the only deviation that I have made in my summer reading has been the addition of a magazine from amazon called Foreign Affairs, I used to subscribe many years ago when I was in high school, I really liked the thoughtfull analysis of the current events and the fact that authors tend to argue some interesting positions in the essays in the magazine. The only troubble is that the magazine is published only once every two months thus I do not get that much to read from the magazine each issue. I may remedy this sutation by adding another political analysis magazine as well.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
linelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Geeze lindsey you know what your books of summer are going to be?
Fair question. THIS summer I know, for I feel singularly unadventurous regarding reading right now.

At some point I plan to discover Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, assuming I can get them from one of the two libraries I have access to.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by linelle View Post
Fair question. THIS summer I know, for I feel singularly unadventurous regarding reading right now.

At some point I plan to discover Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels, assuming I can get them from one of the two libraries I have access to.
I have always enjoyed Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. I hope you will enjoy them. I am always reading them again.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I know what I'm reading right now, and I have a general idea of what I'm thinking about reading next. Other than that ... I know better than to plan out a reading schedule that I'm certain to fail spectacularly at sticking to.

As far as I know, my reading habits are oblivious to the seasons.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
linelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have always enjoyed Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe. I hope you will enjoy them. I am always reading them again.
Apache
My library has endured several moves, multiple purges, and hard times, and most of the books that survived have "re-readability" as their crowning glory. This is a personal choice; my re-readable books are not necessarily anyone else's.

Examples: almost all the adult novels of Russell Hoban, ditto for Shirley Jackson, a flotilla of Perry Mason mysteries, Robertson Davies, Evan S. Connell. A very good book about Lizzie Borden called A PRIVATE DISGRACE that I bought for 25 cents at a sidewalk sale.

I am looking forward to reading Rex Stout based on my enjoyment of the A&E Nero Wolfe series.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:21 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My printed library has survived a few purges of its own like yours lindsay. Unfortunately it seems that the printed books are massing for a take over of the basement, where they are stored. Which is the reason that I have started with electronic books, to hopefully leave some space in the basment.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
linelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Which is the reason that I have started with electronic books, to hopefully leave some space in the basment.
I'm there. All my new books are ebooks. Print books DO take over unless they are thinned out regularly.