Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #61
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I am not seeing that on any of my Kobo devices with either epub or kepubs. The page turn is consistently faster than I can move my eye from the bottom right to the top left.

There can be slowdown if an epub is badly constructed, but, again, this is no different than previous firmware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo1984 View Post
That's odd. I didn't have that problem with the previous firmware. Maybe something specific to the book I'm currently reading.

Will do some testing.

Thanks.
There is one problem that I've seen mulitple times. When you open the epub with either Sigil or calibre's editor, all the text is in a single file while normally each section/chapter is in a separate file. If the ebook is using header tags (h1, h2,...,h6), using calibre's epub to epub conversion will split that single file at headers which gives a file that my Kobo and Tolino ereaders are much happier with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:37 AM   #62
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
The Firmware page lists this firmware as not available for Glo HD. Is this still true? Has anyone tested it already on a GloHD?

Thanks
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #63
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbusan View Post
The Firmware page lists this firmware as not available for Glo HD. Is this still true? Has anyone tested it already on a GloHD?

Thanks
I've seen a couple of posts from people who installed the mark 6 package on a Glo HD apparently with no issues.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:11 AM   #64
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
There is one problem that I've seen mulitple times. When you open the epub with either Sigil or calibre's editor, all the text is in a single file while normally each section/chapter is in a separate file. If the ebook is using header tags (h1, h2,...,h6), using calibre's epub to epub conversion will split that single file at headers which gives a file that my Kobo and Tolino ereaders are much happier with.
Yep, I recognize that as well. KindleUnpack-ed AZW3s are notorious for this. I tend to run the 'Oversize HTML files' check of the Quality Check plugin and do an epub-to-epub conversion on the offenders.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:12 AM   #65
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Yep, I recognize that as well. KindleUnpack-ed AZW3s are notorious for this. I tend to run the 'Oversize HTML files' check of the Quality Check plugin and do an epub-to-epub conversion on the offenders.
When I encounter those I just use Sigil's "Split at cursor" functionality to split at the chapter breaks. For some reason I'm not too fond of the Calibre's EPUB -> EPUB conversion.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2018, 09:32 AM   #66
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
So, all! Is this version to be avoided or embraced by a VERY basic KA1 user?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #67
forster01
Groupie
forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.forster01 can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle, Amazon Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
So, all! Is this version to be avoided or embraced by a VERY basic KA1 user?
Nope, its normal firmware update. there is no update that should be avoided.
if You are basic KA1 user,then you will encounter no problems.
forster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #68
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I would certainly avoid it if you read sideloaded epub files, (or library loan files.). There's nothing especially harmful about the update, just a cosmetic annoyance. But if it's easy for you to avoid it, save yourself some unpleasantness and wait for it to be fixed properly.

Last edited by rashkae; 07-10-2018 at 06:39 PM.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:45 PM   #69
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I would certainly avoid it if you read sideloaded epub files, (or library loan files.). There's nothing especially harmful about the update, just a cosmetic annoyance. But if it's easy for you to avoid it, save yourself some unpleasantness and wait for it to be fixed properly.
And it is very easy to workaround the problem, so there is no real reason to avoid the update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:15 PM   #70
Derf
Connoisseur
Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Derf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD / Mac User
Quote:
And it is very easy to workaround the problem, so there is no real reason to avoid the update.
Is the cosmetic problem on with KEPUB, only with EPUB, or with both KEPUB/EPUB when side-loading?

Is the workaround to just tap the screen and refresh the menu area, or is it a patch you speak of to fix the annoyance?
Derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:45 AM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derf View Post
Is the cosmetic problem on with KEPUB, only with EPUB, or with both KEPUB/EPUB when side-loading?
It is an epub only problem.
Quote:
Is the workaround to just tap the screen and refresh the menu area, or is it a patch you speak of to fix the annoyance?
What I do is bring up the navigation bar and tap the return arrow on the right hand side. It will also get fixed if you navigate away from the current page and use the "Previous location" to return. Or whenever you change the font settings.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 AM   #72
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
What I do is bring up the navigation bar and tap the return arrow on the right hand side. It will also get fixed if you navigate away from the current page and use the "Previous location" to return. Or whenever you change the font settings.
This will have to be done every time you open a new book or reboot your device. No pleasant. And you do not write about it)
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:18 AM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
This will have to be done every time you open a new book or reboot your device. No pleasant. And you do not write about it)
Oh wow, three taps on the screen each time you open a book.* And oh no, I didn't bother explicitly stating that. Isn't it obvious from the context? Or do you mean something else by "you do not write about it".

I supplied a workaround for a problem. I made no claims about how "pleasant" it was. Just gave people an alternative if they want to use this firmware. That's all. Whether they do, is up to them. But, someone with a Clara HD, probably should be. And personally, this is such a tiny thing to do, I just read past the top of the screen and do it without interrupting my reading. Or I don't bother because it isn't really that bad.

* In case you don't recognise it, that was sarcasm.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:55 AM   #74
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Does anyone know of an affiliate that has received the update? I'm not getting anything for my H2O when I sync.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:56 AM   #75
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Oh nevermind. I see this update isn't for the original H2O.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote