Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #76
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by injapan View Post
I might try "G-Whizz" as pointed out above (I am at work now so can't do it here)
I have to get back to Google Maps, the Apple Maps is useless
I'm just using maps.google.com. G-whizz is just a wrapper for the google mobile site, it seems to me, and I don't want *all* the google apps, just maps...
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #77
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
My iPad just told me that an update is available. And I also have 30 app updates waiting! I have downloaded them on iTunes but not on the iPad yet. I will probably upgrade this week-end.

The Apple servers must be overloaded at the moment, downloads are very slow.

I'm curious about the maps app. Most of the features people complain are gone I didn't even know existed, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 02:05 AM   #78
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I'm curious about the maps app. Most of the features people complain are gone I didn't even know existed, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for me
Then don't travel to Berlin using iOS Maps, because you'll end up in Antarctica
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #79
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
LOL! Indeed. I do use GPS with my 3GS, but 99% of the time I use Sygic for turn by turn and for warnings about overspeeding, school zones and speed and red light cameras. I dont speed and I do try to pay attention but sometimes I forget and the speedo creeps up a bit, I've set Sygic to blow a whistle every time I go over the limit. It works for me. And thats something google maps never did, and Apple maps will never do (well, maybe some day, but right now, no)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #80
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
for me I dont find maps as bad as I expected

It shows everything fine (I live in a small village), Berlin is shown as in Germany and Hoover Dam that I saw screenshots of yesterday looking wrong looks ok for me

have Apple changed anything in the background over night
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #81
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I'm just using maps.google.com. G-whizz is just a wrapper for the google mobile site, it seems to me, and I don't want *all* the google apps, just maps...
I also use the reading app to read Google eBooks. It is in G-whizz. But since it is free, why not use it to access the maps. I prefer the screen display without the overhead of a browser on the screen.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #82
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
My biggest disappointment so far is the app store. When you look at the description of a product it is no longer a full page and if you try and scroll it or are not careful with your taps you can easily loose the page and go off into never never land or some such place. It is annoying. Give us the full screen for app descriptions!

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #83
greenyouth
Zealot
greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenyouth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGear View Post
i will not be surprised to know that there will be an "iTube" in the app store....
Ohh from youtube and future iTube? i will look forward to that!
greenyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #84
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I upgraded my iPad last night, and so far everything seems to be working. I agree with the comment earlier about the app store: it stinks. As an app addict I spend a lot of time in the app store, and it was never a great user experience, but now it positively stinks.

I haven't opened the maps app yet.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #85
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Apple released iOS 6.0.1 this morning. OTA update went smooth on my iPt4.

Here's the full change log:
  • Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
  • Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
  • Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
  • Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod Touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
  • Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
  • Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
  • Fixes a Passcode Lock bug that sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
  • Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings
Old 11-02-2012, 04:21 AM   #86
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Thanks for the info.

Nothing about the bug where you can no longer deactivate the Game Center, and it keeps nagging you to death unless you give in and log on to the damn thing. This one has been driving me crazy.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #87
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I don't see any reason to upgrade my iPod Touch 4G to iOS 6. Are there any?

In the meantime it downloaded 6.0.1 without asking me first, and the Settings app has a little red "1" on it. Is there any way to recover the space?
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #88
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I don't know of any reasons to do so. I upgraded my iPt4 to iOS 6 and haven't noticed any changes or improvements. But then, I only use mine for audiobooks and streaming audio (BBC, Pandora, etc).
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #89
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

In the meantime it downloaded 6.0.1 without asking me first, and the Settings app has a little red "1" on it. Is there any way to recover the space?
As far as I can remember, the only positive thing about iOS6 is the French dictionary (and a few other languages too I think). The rest has been minor annoyances at best. So if you are not interested in the dictionaries and already have iOS5, I think you can skip this one.

Does the red "1" mean the upgrade is downloaded already? I guess that explains why my iPhone was filled almost to its capacity last night. I don't know how to remove the files, except maybe restore from the last iTunes backup if you have a recent one.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #90
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
No, the red "1" indicates there is an upgrade ready to download.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote