Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 01-25-2018, 08:13 PM   #1
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
ADE problems

So this problem started back in November and I've pulled whats left of my hair out trying to solve this. Everytime I try to start ADE, and I have version 4.5.7 installed currently, I get the "Adobe digital editions 4.5.7 has stopped working" error. I've tried various ways to start it, clicking on the shortcut, clicking directly on the program exe., trying to open an ACSM file and no luck. I've tried things I've found while searching the web such as deleting or renaming folders. I've tried various compatability modes, running as admin, I've uninstalled version 4 and tried versions 2 and 3 and neither of them even get that far. I click the exe, the screen blinks for a second and then nothing. I am completely out of clues and further searching on google and adobe's website has simply had me redoing the things I've already tried.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is there another way to open the acsm files I get from overdrive? I have a Kobo and I use Calibre, do I need to unistall one or both of those programs to get it to work? I have windows 10 and no, I do not try to run ADE while my Kobo is connected or while the Kobo software or Calibre are running. I am at my wits end and have no idea what else to even try. I miss my library books and am going crazy not being able to download and read them as it appears ADE is the only way to get the acsm files to open and download the EPUB files.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
Could be that the program's corruption is preventing you from doing a complete uninstall and also messing up other installations. Suggest you try REVOUNINSTALLER (free version works very well) to remove all associated files with the uninstall process. Restart your computer after uninstalling, then download the latest ADE from the website and try again.

Revo is available here. I use Windows 10 Professional, by the way. Hope this helps!
ngrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:42 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What you want to do is uninstall ADE 4.5.7. You don't want that version. What you want is ADE 2.0.1. ADE 4.5.7 might download ePub that has a new version DRM. You cannot remove the DRM or use the ePub on your Reader. Here is the link to ADE 2.0.1 from Adobe.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/..._Installer.exe
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE 2.0.1 won't even start. As soon as I click on it a window appears and then just as quickly disappears.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:24 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Disable your anti-virus and try again. If that doesn't work, reboot into safe mode and see if that works. If safe mode works, then you'll have to disable everything you run on boot one-by-one and keep rebooting until you find what program is causing the problem.

I've never had ADE 2.0.1 fail to run. So my guess is it is something you run on your system.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:08 PM   #6
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

Well, no luck, I've done what's been suggested here and no go. Don't know what my options are at this point. I take it there's no substitute for ADE?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcecreamLtDan View Post
Well, no luck, I've done what's been suggested here and no go. Don't know what my options are at this point. I take it there's no substitute for ADE?
Have you tried safe mode with networking?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I believe I have a possible solution.

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorpo rate

Replace the XXXXX with your user directory.

Delete the file in that directory and try ADE 2.0.1 again. It should work.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie

Sorry, got to spend some quality time in the hospital so I haven't been around lately. Anyway, during recovery at home I reinstalled windows 10 on my machine as it's been having other issues as well and now ADE seems to be working. Thanks for the help there JSWolf and others.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #10
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you want to do is uninstall ADE 4.5.7. You don't want that version. What you want is ADE 2.0.1. ADE 4.5.7 might download ePub that has a new version DRM. You cannot remove the DRM or use the ePub on your Reader. Here is the link to ADE 2.0.1 from Adobe.

http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/..._Installer.exe
JSWolf: Thank you so much for this! I have spent HOURS trying to get my Kobo to authorize so that I could finish reading a library book I was working on. I have NEVER had such problem in the past and was absolutely frustrated by this point. While looking for anything I could have missed, I saw your post recommending the older ADE version so I gave it a try... and voila! It is working again!! - so much!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #11
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Hi, I just got a new laptop and went to install ADE, but remembered there are problems with newer versions, so came here to find the link (thank you JSWolf) to the older one. But when I try to install it, it says I need Microsoft NET framework 3.5 Service Pack 1, but when I click on the link for that, under requirements I get this:
Supported Operating System

Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

I'm using Windows 10 Home. I don't remember having this problem on Windows 7, though and it doesn't say it's supported. Any ideas?

Last edited by catsknit; 09-13-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: added the supported OS info
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsknit View Post
Supported Operating System
Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP
You can ignore the system requirements. ADE 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 work fine with Windows 10.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
You can ignore the system requirements. ADE 2.0 and .NET Framework 3.5 work fine with Windows 10.
Please call it by the correct number which is ADE 2.0.1. I just don't want others to go find the wrong version.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:42 PM   #14
catsknit
Addict
catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.catsknit is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung tablet, Kobo Libra, InkPad 3 Pro
Thank you for answering my question. I apologize for not getting back here sooner - life took some interesting turns back in the fall and I have not been able to do much about my books until now. So, I downloaded the .NET framework, installed ADE 2.0.1 (after uninstalling the new version) and it says the computer is authorized but all my books are grayed out and say missing activation. Even if i download a new book from Google Play books, it won't open in ADE, says missing activation. Do I need to de-authorize and re-authorize since i changed versions? fix something else in a file?
thanks in advance.
catsknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
rracoon01
Connoisseur
rracoon01 began at the beginning.

Device: android tablets
My ADE 2.01 has lost all of it's bookshelves and freezes after trying to download a book from overdrive. The download screen shows and finishes but then the book is not there and can't exit ADE so have to end it with task manager. Have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. Deleted as much data as I could find before reinstalling 2.01. Same thing happens with new installation.

Anyone having similar problems or have any solution thoughts?
rracoon01 is offline   Reply With Quote