Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #1
jschaik
jschaik began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Viewing images in calibre ebook viewer

I have a question about the calibre ebook viewer. Normally I am reading ebooks on a Kobo Glo reader, which has a B&W screen. Therefore I go through the images (and captions) in the calibre ebook viewer in full color on my PC. Is there a way to go through an ebook from one picture to the next, skipping the main text?

Last edited by jschaik; 08-10-2018 at 01:59 AM.
jschaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaik View Post
<snip>
Is there a way to go through an ebook from one picture to the next, skipping the main text?
Not that I know of

For ePubs you could extract the images from the book with the editor into a folder, zip the folder, and add the resultant .ZIP file to the book (calibre will save it as a CBZ) and view it with a comic viewer.

If the images are not named in order, you could rename them within the editor before you extract them. or maybe use the file timestamp to rename them before you create the .ZIP. The former would be safer, and there is no need to save the ePUB with the renamed jpegs.

This would allow you to view the images and text side-by-side in two viewers.

Added : I've done this with books that have diagrams, maps etc. I read the text on one device and flip back and forth between images on another device or between viewer windows if I'm using a regular monitor.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-09-2018 at 06:50 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
You can open the book in the epub editor and just click on the images from the file browser in the editor.

This can be a bit awkward, as the images will be in alphabetical order rather than in the order they are in the text.

You probably could search the text from the editor for the img tag and get them in order that way. Not sure if there's a way to do the same thing from the epub viewer.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
You can open the book in the epub editor and just click on the images from the file browser in the editor.

This can be a bit awkward, as the images will be in alphabetical order rather than in the order they are in the text.

You probably could search the text from the editor for the img tag and get them in order that way. Not sure if there's a way to do the same thing from the epub viewer.
If you are using the editor, there is an option in the bulk rename to renumber the files in the order they are in the book. And if I was doing that, I'd be tempted to tag the images with some text to make it easy to find in the viewer.

And thinking about this, autobuilding an image list would probably be a good plugin if someone is interested in doing it in the new viewer.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
jschaik

Thanks for your responses. I have tried some of them out, but apparently there is no easy solution.
Unfortunately the images are of limited value without the corresponding captions. Ideally you would like to have an image viewer which displays the images in the sequence as they appear in the book, preferably full screen, and also displays the caption of each image in the same window.
As davidfor says, hopefully somebody is willing to make an add-on or plug-in. Unfortunately I do not have the relevant programming experience.
Should this request be posted somewhere else?
Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
In the e-book editor:

Tools, reports: <images sidebar>
when you double click an mage, it opens the first used location (code)

As others have noted, the list is not always in usage order.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:16 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaik View Post
Should this request be posted somewhere else?
You could make a post in this thread ==>> Plugin ideas... add yours here

Suggest you make it brief with a link to this thread.

But don't set your hopes too high, someone might have an existing plugin they can extend, but new plugins are mostly written by people who have a use for it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:04 AM   #8
jschaik

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that and see what happens.
Jan.

Tags
calibre viewer; images