Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #76
eBook Ivor
eBook Ivor began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
has anyone tried reading a DNLeBook?

G'day dear eBook fans...
wondering if anyone has tried reading a DNLebook on their laptop such as can be found on www.ebook.com
eBook Ivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:03 PM   #77
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
That would be a device which has source code available under an open-source license for anyone who asks. That means not only the basic OS, but any hardware-specific drivers (e-ink requires different drivers than your typical LCD display) as well as source code available for the various apps, such as the ebook-reader or ebook-library-management applications.

Derek

Thanks Derek!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #78
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
The new, Android powered, Archos 5 tablet may be of interest to some here.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:23 AM   #79
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
The newly announced dual core ARM cortex processor, coupled with Ubuntu in a netbook will be a very nice product.

For a truly open source product look to the Pandora. This is aimed at homebrew/emulation gaming. but it shows you what enthusiasts can do. This is down to ARMs low licencing costs I think.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:59 PM   #80
SHINTON
SHINTON began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would say what it will take is a "netbook" with E-Ink... I don't "need" video (or stupid banners), static pages are just fine by me on the internet!

This site on E-Ink would be a breeze...that is where they meet at E-Ink monitors
SHINTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #81
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc2 View Post
The new, Android powered, Archos 5 tablet may be of interest to some here.
The new Archos 5 certainly does a lot of the stuff I want. The only problem is that it's still using a conventional transmissive LCD. I might be sold if they reequipped it with a 3Qi display. Though according to Pixel Qi displays of that size won't be available for quite awhile.

On a separate note, it's nice to see more and more manufacturers are adopting Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHINTON View Post
I would say what it will take is a "netbook" with E-Ink... I don't "need" video (or stupid banners), static pages are just fine by me on the internet!

This site on E-Ink would be a breeze...that is where they meet at E-Ink monitors
What about the cursor?

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-17-2009 at 05:52 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 AM   #82
bminata
Connoisseur
bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.bminata got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KPW, KFHD, K3, K2, iPad
I believe more and more multi-purpose devices such as desktops, notebooks, netbooks, tablets, pdas and the likes will include e-book functionality, but some people (incl. me) will always prefer a dedicated ebook reader with e-ink (or something similar) for two reasons:

1. easy on the eyes
2. battery life

There's no way a crt, lcd, led or what-have-you monitors can replace the e-ink displays in those in those respects.
bminata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:41 AM   #83
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
There's no way a crt, lcd, led or what-have-you monitors can replace the e-ink displays in those in those respects.
None as of yet. Though the point I've been trying to make is that display technology continues to evolve. Including eInk, which will eventually support color and the refresh rate necessary to make it a practical multimedia display.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #84
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bminata View Post
I believe more and more multi-purpose devices such as desktops, notebooks, netbooks, tablets, pdas and the likes will include e-book functionality, but some people (incl. me) will always prefer a dedicated ebook reader with e-ink (or something similar) for two reasons:

1. easy on the eyes
2. battery life

I think it would be quite interesting to see what they could do with an Oled-screen as far as an e-reader goes.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #85
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
we are at least 3-5 years away from that point -- computer or tablet like devices that have color screens comfortable for hours of reading and refresh fast enough for other purposes.

Last edited by HansTWN; 09-18-2009 at 02:50 AM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:52 AM   #86
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
we are at least 3-5 years away from that point -- computer or tablet like devices that have color screens comfortable for hours of reading and refresh fast enough for other purposes.
Really? For Oled? Why would we be 3-5 years away from that? They already have at least showed 15 inch Oled-screens if I remember correctly.

The device would be very pricey, yes, but it would be quite feasible now I think.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 AM   #87
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Really? For Oled? Why would we be 3-5 years away from that? They already have at least showed 15 inch Oled-screens if I remember correctly.

The device would be very pricey, yes, but it would be quite feasible now I think.
I was responding to the post before the OLED and someone added a post while I was writing. That being said, OLED is no real alternative for readers (while being a great screen technology). And for the moment the sweet spot for OLED is 3.5" to 3.7". The Sony 11" TV is still over 2000 USD.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 AM   #88
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Well the topic is on the future of readers. And although multimedia capable eInk may well be half a decade away, in the mean time [with any luck] Pixel Qi screens should start appearing in devices either late this year or early next.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #89
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?

Quote:
I was responding to the post before the OLED and someone added a post while I was writing. That being said, OLED is no real alternative for readers (while being a great screen technology). And for the moment the sweet spot for OLED is 3.5" to 3.7". The Sony 11" TV is still over 2000 USD.
Why wouldn't OLED work for a reader? I think that is one of the solutions Asus is looking into for their "foldable" e-reader if I'm not misstaken.

Great contrast, very quick resonse time. As I said, it is very pricey still. But I don't so why it wouldn't be a good alternative for a reader apart from that fact.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:31 AM   #90
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Why wouldn't OLED work for a reader? I think that is one of the solutions Asus is looking into for their "foldable" e-reader if I'm not misstaken.

Great contrast, very quick resonse time. As I said, it is very pricey still. But I don't so why it wouldn't be a good alternative for a reader apart from that fact.
OLED screens are an improvement over LCD screens, no doubt. My next phone probably will have one, or rather an AMOLED screen. But, at least for me, not up to the comfort level I get from e-ink. Haven't looked at one for more than a short time, though.