Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
anurag
Addict
anurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura aboutanurag has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 1 and DX, iPhone
Sony slashes Pocket Edition price to $169 for two weeks

From http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/03/...-drops-to-169/

Quote:
Sony says it is cutting the price on its entry-level e-book reader, dubbed the Pocket Reader, to $169 — perhaps the first in a coming price war for the devices.

Sony’s $30 discount only lasts through April 4, just in time for the April 3 arrival of Apple’s $499 and up iPad in stores on April 3.

Why just two weeks? Sony’s president of digital reading Steve Haber offered this statement: “Sony’s overall mission is to expand digital reading to a larger audience by offering consumers the most access, choice and value,” he said. “The pricing promotion is representative of that mission and occurs naturally as part of the consumer electronics industry.”

Analysts say that single-purpose black and white reading devices, like the Sony Reader, the Amazon’s Kindle and a confusing array of other devices, need to cut prices to stay competitive in a market where multi-purpose color devices also cost less than $500.
Link to reader: http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665921188
anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Yay, only $100 more to go!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
"Analysts say that single-purpose black and white reading devices...need to cut prices to stay competitive in a market where multi-purpose color devices also cost less than $500."

I think that the sub-$500 market (in anything!) is distinct from the sub-$200 market.

I don't think that the iPad's existence is relevant to Sony's need to reduce the device's price.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #4
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Just my luck. They always cut the price 10 days after I buy one.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
Just my luck. They always cut the price 10 days after I buy one.

Can you return it? Where did you buy it. I've heard of places allowing you to return or exchange or even just get the rebate if you check with them.

Especially if it's only 10 days.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
nboshart
Connoisseur
nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nboshart has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo
199 here in Canada. Pretty sick of companies ignoring dollar parity.
nboshart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
So they announced a sale in the US and WSJ wonders why it isn't permanent? Its a SALE. As for the Canada price- again its a sale. There are sales all the time in one country that aren't copied by the same retailers in a different country.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Yay, only $100 more to go!
LOL, that would be a good deal
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
Can you return it? Where did you buy it. I've heard of places allowing you to return or exchange or even just get the rebate if you check with them.
I got it from Target on the 12th. The wording of their refund policy isn't terribly clear, so I'll have to stop by the service desk tomorrow with the receipt and see how generous the clerk is feeling.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
I got it from Target on the 12th. The wording of their refund policy isn't terribly clear, so I'll have to stop by the service desk tomorrow with the receipt and see how generous the clerk is feeling.
Definitely give it a shot, you might come out ahead!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #11
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
I am really tempted to buy one. My wife has recently started reading on my 505. <whisper>and she likes it!</whisper> I am now afraid...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:33 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'm really considering picking one of these up for my kid. He isn't a huge reader so I haven't bought him a digital reader yet. I shove my Kindle into his hands occasionally and force him to read.

I considered that Delstar a couple of weeks ago ... but I see this for $162.99 at Buy.com now. It might be worth the extra $63 to get the Sony and see if I can squeeze an hour or two a week of reading out of him.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm really considering picking one of these up for my kid. He isn't a huge reader so I haven't bought him a digital reader yet. I shove my Kindle into his hands occasionally and force him to read.

I considered that Delstar a couple of weeks ago ... but I see this for $162.99 at Buy.com now. It might be worth the extra $63 to get the Sony and see if I can squeeze an hour or two a week of reading out of him.
I really don't think you should force it, but look for opportunities to provide him with reading materials he enjoys -- comics, a particular interest - nature, animals, science, airplanes, etc... That is the best way to encourage reading.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #14
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
I am really tempted to buy one. My wife has recently started reading on my 505. <whisper>and she likes it!</whisper> I am now afraid...
Yes, but will your wife be satisfied with 5 inches when she is used to 6?

What?

WHAT?
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yes, but will your wife be satisfied with 5 inches when she is used to 6?

What?

WHAT?
Yeah, you might have to take the 5" yourself.