Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
mastakilla
mastakilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Filesharing and ebooks

New to the whole ereader thing. Just picked up a sony 600. Nice reader btw.

Anyway, been perusing the web and notice that there does not seem to be much in the way of filesharing regarding newer novels online. Personally, I think thats great. We need to support authors, who face it, make a lot less money than rock stars. Am I right in believing that filesharing is not rampant in ebook circles? Thanks for the input.
mastakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Ebook filesharing is quite rampant, Project Gutenberg and right here at Mobileread you'll find many fine examples of PD books that have been compiled and edited in excellent formatted books to be shared by all.

Of course if your referring to piracy of ebooks via filesharing, that is also very rampant across the internet but you won't find mention of the sites here.

I hope you find as much enjoyment with your Sony 600 as I have found with my PRS-505.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hello, dwanthny, and welcome to MobileRead.

Filesharing of copyrighted books is illegal. Unfortunately, however, file-sharing (I feel) is indeed rampant. I agree with you that we need to support all writers whose work is out there and is being sold. We support them by buying those works, by talking about the writings here on MobileRead. Too, there are a number of professional writers who are members of MobileRead, so you can read their thoughts and opinions, as well.

Concerning illegal books:

MobileRead deletes all links related to the obtaining of illegal, copyrighted books, along with a warning to any poster. Only books with explicit permission from the copyright holder are available here on MobileRead. Almost everything we have here is in the pubic domain, and is lovingly assembled by a few dedicated members and Moderators.

On another note, let me welcome you to MobileRead. We have quite a number of dedicated and interesting Forums. Please feel free to look around, download any (or all!) of our free books, consisting of public domain and Creative Commons titles.

If you have questions, please ask and you should get quite a number of replies.

Above all - HAVE FUN!

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-25-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 06:46 AM   #4
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
unfortunately, pirating does take place even for the newest books. But it's not in to be found in the usual places, where people go to play games or watch videos - must be due to the target audience being different.

That said, look at the latest numbers regarding ebook sales and you can say that it's growing and flourishing, and that is good.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:09 PM   #5
Morlac
Connoisseur
Morlac doesn't litterMorlac doesn't litter

Device: Pocket Pro
Welcome to MobileRead! Even though I'm a publisher, I will suggest that if you want to support authors, check out the many authors who post regularly or irregularly here. Read their free offerings, try their paid offerings if you can/want to, and recommend the ones you like to others. Independent and small-press authors have a tough (but possibly quite satisfying) road and ebooks really help to make it feasible to go that route in the first place!
Morlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Fortunately Piracy (the cowardly word used by the corporations and their apologists) is alive and well Many authors are shared every single day and this has zero to little effect on their income and in many studies show that it only helps to improve their sales.

Paulo Coelho and Cory Doctorow are just two of the many authors you can access for free and without any nonsense all over the web. At this point in the copyfight any author who comes out against file sharing I would avoid on principal alone.

Welcome to MR.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
At this point in the copyfight any author who comes out against file sharing I would avoid on principal alone.
To be fair, authors whose works are only available as ebooks have a very legitimate concern about filesharing. While not every shared book represents a lost sale, because many of those who'll pick a book up for free would never buy it, some of those exchanges may be lost sales.

Steve Jordan's books are available without DRM, at reasonable prices, with several free samples available so people can find out if they like his writing enough to pay for it; his books shouldn't be handed around like the Harry Potter books are. (Which, as far as I can tell, mostly are exchanged among people who either own the pbooks and want a searchable copy for research, or people who would otherwise buy a $2 copy at a garage sale, which still doesn't get Rowling any money.)

It's possible that if some of his books *were* widely torrented, he'd make more sales of his other books. It's also possible that he'd make more sales for half a year, and after that, people would pick them up on the darknet instead of paying for them.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What with filesharing being morally about on par with baby eating*, I would likewise like to condemn it in the strongest terms, while also welcoming you to our laid back and easy-going little forum!

- Ahi

* And I don't mean veal. I'm talking about the bad kind.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
people would pick them up on the darknet instead of paying for them.
We've communally hammered out in another thread recently that while the initial act copyright infringement for any given book very likely takes place on the darknet (i.e.: a part of the internet not accessible to the general public [due to some active access prevention mechanism like password protection, not merely obscurity]), the bulk of subsequent dastardly and massively illegal kindergarten-style sharing takes place on non-darknet portions of the Internet like the piratebay, eMule, and other such places.

Sorry to nitpick.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #10
bavardage
Enthusiast
bavardage began at the beginning.

Someone I know *ahem* pirated a copy of Good Omens by Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman a while back (after being a Pratchett fan) and then went on to buy 5 books by Gaiman.

PIRACY DESTROYS AUTHORS OMG!
bavardage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM   #11
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
For 99.9999% of all authors, piracy isn't an issue, obscurity is. For the ones lucky enough to have broken through the obscurity barrier, piracy has ceased to be an issue at all (unless they are exceptionally greedy and/or paranoid).

I disagree with Elfwreck's assertion that there is a real difference for authors who exclusively use ebook as a medium, and an assertion is really all it is (the post is fraught with "may be" and "possible" which is always a good indication).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:53 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
To be fair, authors whose works are only available as ebooks have a very legitimate concern about filesharing. While not every shared book represents a lost sale, because many of those who'll pick a book up for free would never buy it, some of those exchanges may be lost sales.

Steve Jordan's books are available without DRM, at reasonable prices, with several free samples available so people can find out if they like his writing enough to pay for it; his books shouldn't be handed around like the Harry Potter books are. (Which, as far as I can tell, mostly are exchanged among people who either own the pbooks and want a searchable copy for research, or people who would otherwise buy a $2 copy at a garage sale, which still doesn't get Rowling any money.)

It's possible that if some of his books *were* widely torrented, he'd make more sales of his other books. It's also possible that he'd make more sales for half a year, and after that, people would pick them up on the darknet instead of paying for them.
Steve Jordan's books are widely torrented, I've seen Verdant Skies in at least two different sci-fi torrent compilations over the last week or so. If that was my own work I'd be excited as hell that I was being recognised, not bummed about phantom lost sales. Those torrents have at least a couple hundred seeders and a thousand peers at any one time. That's a lot of people who might go on to read (and pay for) Steve's work afterwards.

And in any case, lose money, make money, at least Steve doesn't have to kiss the ass of an industry that is as pointless in the digital realm as a monkey at a giraffe-only tea party.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Quote:
That's a lot of people who might go on to read (and pay for) Steve's work afterwards.
Nope. Forget it. Naive concept. Silly notion. If they can get in on torrent eventually why pay for it at all?

Leechers don't pay. They suck.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #14
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Thom View Post
Nope. Forget it. Naive concept. Silly notion. If they can get in on torrent eventually why pay for it at all?

Leechers don't pay. They suck.
I don't think you could be any more wrong if you tried.

Study upon study upon study has proved that file sharers buy more media on average than those who don't.

Why pay? Well, why not pay? If I read Steve's work for free and enjoy that work and he offers it DRM free at a reasonable price, then why wouldn't I pay? Why wouldn't I want to support an independent creator? I know I and many of my file sharing friends gladly give money to indie creators even if we can get hold of their products for free.

Compensation doesn't suddenly dissapear because a creative work is available freely. Even if Steve gave all his works away without asking for money, there'd still be people wiling to pay through a donation or some other way.

All torrent users are leechers at some point, and they then become seeders (if they have any netiquette at all).

You, sir, have a very negative view of the file sharing community. One that Beigecorp* would love you to spread.

*Beigecorp is registered, shackled, imprisoned and protected twenty-four hours a day so that we can enforce all our rights and take away your rights while doing so.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:17 AM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Study upon study upon study has proved that file sharers buy more media on average than those who don't.
I often wonder about those studies.

How do they collect the data? Do they simply ask the file sharer's what their sharing and buying habits are? Or is there some other way they collect the data?

I wonder because it seems to me that many file sharer's would not be averse to twisting the truth in an online survey regarding how much stuff they buy after having first file shared it.

Q: If you have enjoyed the copy of a book you obtained through file-sharing do you then go out and purchase a "legitimate" copy of said book in order to support the author?

A: Oh sure I do, heck yes, of course! Why wouldn't I do that?

Seems to me the natural inclination of the survey respondent would be to perhaps embellish how much they actually do buy in order to make themselves feel a little better.

Of course, if the studies have a more accurate and verifiable method of collecting data then the above scenario would not come into play. And of course there would be many who would give completely honest answers too.

I just can't help wondering about all these famed studies though.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote