Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Exclamation How to reproduce the image viewer bug

Okay, I've figured out how to reproduce the image viewer bug. I'm posting this here for Amazon support. Don't try this at home unless you're okay with resetting your Kindle 2.

First, you need to put some pictures on your Kindle 2 if you don't know how to do that:

1) make a folder called "pictures" in the root of Kindle drive or SD card. Kindle also checks for "dcim" made by cameras.
2) put your pictures for a single "book" into a folder inside that. The subfolder name will be used as the "book" name. Supported formats are jpg, png, gif.
3) in Home screen press Alt-Z. A new "book" should appear. Open it to view your pictures.
4) In the local menu you can toggle dithering, resize to fit and full screen mode.

Now, in my case, I have 3 jpgs in a "book" called My Pictures, which is a folder I created under the pictures folder. Now:

1. Open the "book" to the first picture.
2. Press the "1" key.
3. Click Next Page. You'll notice that the screen does not update.
4. Click Menu. NOW you'll be able to see the new image, but not before.
5. Moving forward or back results in the same problem.
6. Press Home.
7. Try to open the My Pictures book again, and once again the screen will not update. You need to press Menu to see any images.

At this point, your Kindle 2 is stuck like this until you manually reset it (hold down power switch for 15 seconds). Then the image viewer works normally again.

BOTTOM LINE: DO NOT PRESS THE "1" KEY WHILE VIEWING IMAGES, AS THIS WILL MESS UP YOUR KINDLE 2.

Hopefully someone from Amazon can look into this problem and produce a software fix ASAP. I'm not sure what the "1" key is supposed to do, if anything, but it's clearly messing the Kindle 2 image viewer up.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Pressing Home key gets me back to Home despite the stuckage at image viewer. Nevertheless, its a bug. But if user can get back to Home without resetting his/her device is better.

btw, what are you doing with image viewer? it's not a feature.
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can get back Home, but going back into the picture book puts you right back into the "show image only if your hit Menu" mode.

People use the image viewer to read manga and comic books.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
wastedlife
wastedlife began at the beginning.

I can confirm that I have the same issue. I was using a manga converted using Mangle. I am almost certain that I never pressed the '1' key. I did ,however, have no problems until I exited the "book" and then tried to go back later on. If I do the "hold power for 15 seconds" what does this do? If you are referring to holding it until it shuts off and then turning it back on, I have done this and am still having the same issue.
wastedlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
stevenmoy
Zealot
stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stevenmoy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Don't use full screen mode at the moment
stevenmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur

You have to hold it for a full 15 seconds to restart your Kindle. This is normally done if your Kindle is frozen, but in this case since it's not you can select Restart from the Menu in the Settings screen.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

Has anyone tried this since the last update came out? I wonder if it is still a bug.
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damętas View Post
Has anyone tried this since the last update came out? I wonder if it is still a bug.
Still a bug last I tried it. Feel free to try it yourself, just hit "1" and if it messes up just reboot your Kindle2 .
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

I'm sure they'll correct this once they are aware of it and enough people make a stink. With a product launch this big, they can't really afford to sit on bugs like this.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
sirbruce
Provocateur

Well, now that we have the Kindle DX, we know what the "1" key does in the image viewer.

It adds a ruler to the bottom of the screen, graduated 1 - 9. The left edges is 0, the right edge is 10.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to get rid of the ruler, but it doesn't interfere with displaying the pictures.

Full screen mode does not enlarge the pictures to full screen on the DX.