Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
IMG
IMG began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad Book Edition
Thumbs up CF cards and the iLiad book edition (tip)

Hey : ) ,

recently i bought a 4gb trancend cf card , which is supposed according to the wiki to work after it is reformated to FAT32. However this didnt work for me. At least not under linux , and vanilla iLiad software. However i gave FAT16 a shot, and it worked!

So before you throw away your CF card, give FAT16 a chance.

Enjoy,
IMG
IMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Thanks! I was contemplating a 8GB card, simply because it was the cheapest one I could get in a hurry

I don't really need more than a 1- or 2GB card, but most stores around here don't carry them. Other 2GB cards were ridiculously expensive because they support 40MB/sec transfer speed, which I certainly don't need (I'll rarely transfer more than a few MB at a time, and I understand that the iLiad is a slow reader anyway).

I read a post where someone mentioned using a 32GB card successfully, I have no idea how that would work without FAT32. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Anyway, I'll probably just wait a little for the card, and get a smaller one even cheaper.

Edit: I read the fine Wiki page which I hadn't found earlier, and am going with the 4GB Kingston Elite Pro. It is also quite cheap and available nearby.
Come to think of it, this was a completely useless post

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 01-26-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Update (and for googlers): My 4GB Kingston Elite Pro card arrived today. It works fine now (factory-formatted), but the card itself's got a little plastic edge which makes it necessary to use a bit of force to seat it properly.

I whittled this edge off with a sharp knife, now it slides in easily.
It had me stumped for a while though, as I thought the card was broken when it just wasn't fully inserted
Old 02-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Are you referring to the little edge that I marked in the attached picture? These should be standard-compliant. All my CF cards have this edge, and they all fit wonderfully into my device.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cf.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	23626  
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
Man Eating Duck
Addict

Yes, that's the one. In my device it got caught on the lower edge of the slot when the card lacked about 2mm from being fully inserted. I had to bend the card to insert it, so I whittled the edge away instead. I've never had a CF card, so I thought my card was peculiar.

It works fine now, so I'm happy
Advert