Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
What are your favorite non-fiction books?

I love autobiographies in particular. My current reading is:

A Million Little Pieces
Education of a Bodybuilder (Arnold The Governator)
Donny Osmond's
The Supreme's Greatest Hits - 34 landmark Supreme Court cases
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't really have a favourite non-fiction category. I've never been big on history, and so that rarely gets a gander (Robert Graves' historical novels, I Claudius and Claudius, The God aside - I enjoyed them, but they don't count as non-fiction). I'm also not that interested in biographies (though David Marr's Patrick White: A Life was quite interesting). I don't mind popular science, particularly those of a cosmological bent (like Brian Greene'sThe Elegant Universe). If you consider pictorial photographic books to be "non-fiction", then I've a few of them, from some favourite photographers, or just some favourite topic-specific compilations.

Truth is though, I don't read non-fiction too often. Essays compilations are not bad. I enjoyed a George Orwell compilation, and probably one of my favourite non-fiction books (actually, probably one of my favourite books of any kind) is Clive James's Cultural Amnesia. I bought the pbook, and then the (DRM-free) ebook.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #3
lucretiusfiend
Classicist
lucretiusfiend began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
I'm all about the nonfiction. It's a little dorky, but so very true.

I do alot of reading on the train into and out of the city. During these short, 20 minute, sections, I am currently reading René Descartes' "Meditations regarding the first philosophy." (Meditationes de prima philosophia) and have just finished Gottfried Wilhelm Liebnitz' "Theodicy: Essays on the Goodness of God, the Freedom of Man, and the Origin of Evil."

I've also picked up a few old (1810s) Ancient Greek textbooks for junior high students. I've been working through that in the evenings with a glass of wine at hand.

Well, I've just proven how big a nerd I am. Who else will admit their current addictions?
lucretiusfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Most non-fiction I read is either books on programming, computers or back when I was still active flying and planes. Can't say I really have a favorite.

Although _Foxtales_ was a really good book about the team and development of FoxPro, software I used for quite a large amount of my career.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Most non-fiction I read is either books on programming, computers or back when I was still active flying and planes. Can't say I really have a favorite.

Although _Foxtales_ was a really good book about the team and development of FoxPro, software I used for quite a large amount of my career.

BOb
Ohhh, FoxPro, havent worked with that in ages .... Is that still being used? Think the last time I was involved in a project doing FoxPro was like 10 years ago or so

As for favourite non-fiction books I would have to say Autobiographies, and such. Last ones in that genre was "The Dirt" about Mötley Crye and "Scar Tissue" about Anthony Kiedis
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Non fiction...
Recently re-read John & Mary Gribbins book on plant collectors.

Stuff I tend to read:
Computing books, mostly for work
Photography techniques
Random books on London's history
Jewellery making techniques (at present a reasonable amount on working with with silver)
I also have several of Ian Stewart's books which I re-read from time to time
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Ohhh, FoxPro, havent worked with that in ages .... Is that still being used? Think the last time I was involved in a project doing FoxPro was like 10 years ago or so
FoxPro and Visual FoxPro are still around and kicking. It was only about two years ago that VFP 9.0 was released by MS... although they said that is the last major release.

The company I work generates about $1mm a year in support revenue on our FoxPro/VFP HR/Payroll application... and we actually sold it recently too. So, yes it is still being used.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
I enjoy books about culture - food, religion, literature, the world.

Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma
Sallie Tisdale's Best Thing I Ever Tasted: The Secret of Food
Benjamin Wallace's The Billionaire's Vinegar: The Mystery of the World's Most Expensive Bottle of Wine
Azar Nafisi's Reading Lolita in Tehran
Resa Aslan's No god but God: The Origins, Evolution and Future of Islam

also, I am really enjoying Michio Kaku's Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration of the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Not a lot of non-fiction in my pleasure stack, but there are a few standouts that come to mind.

Herbert Kohl's On Teaching
Lauren Bacall: By Myself (I'm a Bogie fan, so hard not to love it...)
Tom Sullivan's If You Could See What I Hear (sometimes listed with Derek Gill as co-author)

Makes me want to go adjust my wish list...

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:14 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I can think of a couple of significant non-fiction fav's.

"Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter

"Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond

"Hell's Angels" by Hunter S Thompson (though you never know about its veracity)

"The Occult" by Colin Wilson

Do these count? -- The Oxford English Dictionary and the The Chicago Manual of Style
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Non-fiction I'd recommend:
David Attenborough's books based on his TV series.
Russell's 'History of Western Philosophy'
The Barry Paris and Peter Cowie books on Louise Brooks
Richard Dawkins 'Selfish Gene', 'Blind Watchmaker'
Donald R. Morris 'The Washing of the Spears: the rise and fall of the Zulu nation'
E. H. Gombrich 'The Story of Art'
Denis Forman 'The Good Opera Guide'
Marcus Chown 'The Magic Furnace: The quest for the origin of atoms'

Last edited by Sparrow; 10-15-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I read physics and chemistry books.

Hey! Non fiction! Cool! I read history books. I am reading Truman by McCullough right now, finished his Path Between the Seas last spring, and have John Adams in the queue.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Since my husband is an IT guy, most of the nonfiction I'm exposed to is published by O'Reilly...and yes, I've actually read some of it!

I also get a lot of textbook exposure, mostly in the neurology/psychiatry realm.

Other than that, I'm not a huge nonfiction fan. That's why I'm looking forward to March's book club selection!
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #14
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I read very very little non fiction, but this one stuck.

Glenn Beck

An Inconvenient Book: Real Solutions to the World's Biggest Problems
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 AM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I tend to read relatively little non-fiction (that is outside work and purely for pleasure).

It tends to be either photography (mostly to look at the pretty pictures), or popular science. Currently I'm currently reading The Sexual Paradox by Susan Pinker and not that long ago Freakonomics. There are a range that I dip into from time to time, e.g. What's Your Dangerous Idea.

I guess most non-fiction I read is not books: newspapers and magazines (e.g. New Scientist).
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote