Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
gezzer
gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook simple touch, paperwhite 2, paperwhite 3, kobo aura hd
Kobo aura h2o display on aura hd?

hello, i'm new to this forum and i'm in the dawn of selling two kindle paperwhites to buy a kobo aura hd, just to be able to use android for comic reading purposes.

i read somewhere that the h2o screen is better in terms of frontlight, which give higher contrast when reading in the dark.

i just thought that by one slim chance, aura h2o and aura hd displays might be interchangeable, and checked it on alie*press. the part numbers are different by one letter, and their outer appearence are exactly the same as i saw so far.

Here is the pictures for Aura HD display part:

And the Aura H2O display:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

what do you say? i currently don't have the money to invest in this maybe someone who owns both and frequently dissassembles them might be willing to try.

And correct me if there isn't really much difference between aura h2o and aura hd screens, even in terms of frontlight.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-22-2017 at 10:32 AM.
gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #2
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
The AuraHD screen is a Pearl Eink screen, whereas the AuraH2O screen is a Carta Eink screen. The Carta screens can be driven by a different protocol REGL. The drivers are different.

So you'll have to hack the Kobo system to include the drivers needed. Not impossible, but you'll be pioneering it.

Personally, I would love to know more about the screen interface: How it works, whether you can use converters between different types of pinouts. With all older ereaders becoming obsolete, it would be a nice thing to play with: Recycling!
Markismus is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2016, 08:29 AM   #3
gezzer
gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.gezzer once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook simple touch, paperwhite 2, paperwhite 3, kobo aura hd
thanks for the reply!

i just thought since the sockets seem the same, pinouts might be the same, and further same the protocols. it's too bad if you say so.

porting the drivers are just too much hassle for a plug and play small enhancement hack.

but yes, you can always convert a protocol to another with different pinouts, using custom interface and level converting, protocol translator circuitry which is composed of fet transistors zeners resistors and a rather powerful mcu. but it's just overkill, not worth the recycle.

Last edited by gezzer; 12-18-2016 at 08:33 AM.
gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to read our Posting Guidelines, in particular the part about the maximum image size allowed (600x600 pixels). Images that violate those guidelines may be deleted.

It is every member's responsibility to read our Posting Guidelines and follow them.

Thanks.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote