Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-04-2017, 04:41 PM   #991
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
The 1.8.2 Firmware is official, I believe, and does not seem to require Windows. The update instructions simply state:

It is only the uprgrade to Android 4.4 which is a pre-release version, and which requires the MFG tool.
MFG Tool Pack is only needed for roll back from Android 4.4 to 4.0
desk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:21 PM   #992
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desk7 View Post
MFG Tool Pack is only needed for roll back from Android 4.4 to 4.0
My bad. Hadn't planned on upgrading to the pre-release 4.4 so I didn't read that part carefully enough. Thanks for the clarification.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 01:05 AM   #993
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
The 1.8.2 Firmware is official, I believe, and does not seem to require Windows. The update instructions simply state:
What's the difference between the firmware and the OS (Android)? In comparison Kobos have a single blob that contains the OS (Linux) and Kobo's applications.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #994
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What's the difference between the firmware and the OS (Android)?
Not being all that tech savvy, I haven't a clue. However, you can update one without having to upgrade the other, and it seems that you should be able to update to 1.8.2 firmware with any computer that allows you to copy one file to another location.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #995
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
What's the difference between the firmware and the OS (Android)? In comparison Kobos have a single blob that contains the OS (Linux) and Kobo's applications.
The firmware is the code used to manage the internal components. With a PC you could upgrade the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which is the firmware without modify the OS. The firmware handle the power system per example. The firmware can be modified without modify the way that it respond to the software, the OS, via the Application Programming Interface or API. In a e-reader, a part of the firmware handle the e-ink screen.

The applications run in the OS. It is necessary to distinguish the both. It's possible to improve the application's performances with an upgrade of the firmware - in some case.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #996
desk7
Groupie
desk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notesdesk7 can name that song in three notes

Quote:
My bad. Hadn't planned on upgrading to the pre-release 4.4 so I didn't read that part carefully enough. Thanks for the clarification.
I must admit that the instructions are not so clear:
At the top of page there is this:"Updates For Onyx Android 4.0.4 systems
MFG Tool Pack is only needed for roll back from Android 4.4 or for reparation of a malfunctioning installation.
Please backup your content and annotations before using it. It cleans and formats all storage partitions!"

But then there is this:"Upgrade to Android 4.4 is currently only possible with MFG2 Tools."

So I don't know! Waiting for someone who tries Android 4.4!
Old 05-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #997
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
You can read about Android in our wiki. Android is really a Linux layer with a different GUI. It can host a multitude of apps designed specifically to use Android. When you buy this eReader you do get a customized reader specifically for this devices but there are lots of Android readers and you can often use them as well.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:27 AM   #998
huseyinkoylu1
Enthusiast
huseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityhuseyinkoylu1 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Onyx Boox N96 CML
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	156619
huseyinkoylu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:41 AM   #999
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by huseyinkoylu1 View Post
The flyer is interesting, we have to wait for the hardware.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM   #1000
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
From that image it seems will have a 1.8Ghz processor...
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:15 AM   #1001
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirillM View Post
now I see it... Seems app requires Android 4.1, but Onyx Boox Max Carta runs Android 4.0 (

thank you so much for checking it!
You can install the app manually but last time I checked it had some issues. Despite that the mobile URL did work almost as good as the app.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #1002
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Hi everyone,

several hours ago I received the Max Carta e-reader. As promised I'll write down for you the first impressions in comparison with the previous MAX. The physical aspect is almost identical with the Boox MAX. The only improvement, as advertised, is the screen resolution.
1. The letters are clearer and the black more intense
2. the white background is whiter
3. As such there is a better contrast.
The main advantage is that you can set a much smaller writing for your text/or you can read a small text in PDFs without sacrificing the quality of the letters. Theoretically, diagrams should look much better now, due to the improved contrast.
4. I tested a few images and photos too, and the contrast and clarity of the image is also superior, though don't expect high resolution rendering.
5. I couldn't identify any delay by page turning or by opening a book or PDF.
6. Can not tell for sure, but I've got the impression that occasionally the e-reader is a little bit slower while navigating through the main menu and the sd card. What do other Max Carta owners notice about that?
7. The device comes with the 1.8.2 update of Android 4.04 preinstalled and it has the same minor software related issues like the dictionary app (there are two en-en dictionaries available, but for other languages it doesn't work - with the 1.7 update all dictionaries worked fine). Booxtor told me the 4.4 update for Max Carta is being prepared, and it is a matter of weeks.

So, that's it. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. Nevertheless I'm not a very technical person and wouldn't be able to help. Keep in mind only that in the end this the same product except the higher resolution screen. Il will post the same message on the other Carta related thread on this site.

Last edited by Drew22; 05-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #1003
desk7
Groupie

Quote:
Translating from Chinese with Google Photo Translator, I see that this Onyx ereader would have Android 6!!! Waiting for news!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
Hi everyone,

several hours ago I received the Max Carta e-reader. As promised I'll write down for you the first impressions in comparison with the previous MAX.....
Thanks for your review!
Old 05-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #1004
Markeris
Markeris began at the beginning.

Device: onyx max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
Hi everyone,

several hours ago I received the Max Carta e-reader. As promised I'll write down for you the first impressions in comparison with the previous MAX. The physical aspect is almost identical with the Boox MAX. The only improvement, as advertised, is the screen resolution.
1. The letters are clearer and the black more intense
2. the white background is whiter
3. As such there is a better contrast.
The main advantage is that you can set a much smaller writing for your text/or you can read a small text in PDFs without sacrificing the quality of the letters. Theoretically, diagrams should look much better now, due to the improved contrast.
4. I tested a few images and photos too, and the contrast and clarity of the image is also superior, though don't expect high resolution rendering.
5. I couldn't identify any delay by page turning or by opening a book or PDF.
6. Can not tell for sure, but I've got the impression that occasionally the e-reader is a little bit slower while navigating through the main menu and the sd card. What do other Max Carta owners notice about that?
7. The device comes with the 1.8.2 update of Android 4.04 preinstalled and it has the same minor software related issues like the dictionary app (there are two en-en dictionaries available, but for other languages it doesn't work - with the 1.7 update all dictionaries worked fine). Booxtor told me the 4.4 update for Max Carta is being prepared, and it is a matter of weeks.

So, that's it. If you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. Nevertheless I'm not a very technical person and wouldn't be able to help. Keep in mind only that in the end this the same product except the higher resolution screen. Il will post the same message on the other Carta related thread on this site.
Hi mine reader is still traveling to me so I have question .How big sd card I can put in to Max Carta ?
Markeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #1005
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
From that image it seems will have a 1.8Ghz processor...
Now I am confused...Is that Max 2? Max 2 allegedly will have multiple cores.

Onyx Boox Monitor...That is the first time I heard this name. I am happy that Onyx is flooding us with new products but this seems hard to believe...

@Booxtor care to comment please?
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote