Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 AM   #1
QQuokka
QQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KOBO AURA
H2O can't be factory resetted

My H20 has dosen't worked today,it can't be powerred off,it just restarted over and over again.I want to give it a "manual factory reset" follow this site,I have done the step1 to the step4.and I see the black screen with "Critical error message" and a "√"check mark icon in the screen.But I can't tap it,however I tap, it gives no respons.So what have I to do to make it works?
QQuokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If it isn't responding at that point, it sounds like a hardware problem. But, there is another way to do a factory reset on a H2O.

- Make sure the device is charged.
- Hold the power switch in the off position for at least 20 seconds. This is to ensure the device is off.
- Turn it on and tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Keep tapping until something happens.

Hopefully that will get it going again. But, if it doesn't, repeat again with a little more time at each step.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #3
QQuokka
QQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blueQQuokka can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: KOBO AURA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If it isn't responding at that point, it sounds like a hardware problem. But, there is another way to do a factory reset on a H2O.

- Make sure the device is charged.
- Hold the power switch in the off position for at least 20 seconds. This is to ensure the device is off.
- Turn it on and tap both bottom corners of the screen at the same time. Keep tapping until something happens.

Hopefully that will get it going again. But, if it doesn't, repeat again with a little more time at each step.
I have fully charged it yesterday,then the screen stopped at desktop with no reaction,no matter how I tap it,or press it's power button and reset hole.

I have sent an email to rakuten,maybe they are celebretting the new year now,so haven't replied yet.I also think it has a hardware problem,thanks for your help
QQuokka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:24 PM   #4
dedeaux
dedeaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I had the exact same problem. My H2O was just resetting and the guide to get a manual factory reset seemingly didn't work. I went to be frustrated, and the device ran out of battery overnight from it's conituing boot loop. I did cantact Kobo support, but was only offered the option to call them -- no help. I posted in a thread here, and got a quick response. After a night of sleep, I again attempted the reset procedure and got it to work. All I can say is that timing is everything. Have your paperclip ready and begin the sequence of four reset button presses as soon as you see the first square in the boot process. I would add that it may be necessary that your pressing of the reset button needs to be at the same interval as well, but I am not sure. Trial and error -- don't give up!
dedeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:11 AM   #5
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kindle keyboard,kindle touch,PB touch lux
Have the same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeaux View Post
I had the exact same problem. My H2O was just resetting and the guide to get a manual factory reset seemingly didn't work. I went to be frustrated, and the device ran out of battery overnight from it's conituing boot loop. I did cantact Kobo support, but was only offered the option to call them -- no help. I posted in a thread here, and got a quick response. After a night of sleep, I again attempted the reset procedure and got it to work. All I can say is that timing is everything. Have your paperclip ready and begin the sequence of four reset button presses as soon as you see the first square in the boot process. I would add that it may be necessary that your pressing of the reset button needs to be at the same interval as well, but I am not sure. Trial and error -- don't give up!
How to resolve this problem?
sbwtxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbwtxj View Post
How to resolve this problem?
Ouch, there is no need to shout.

The instructions are in the post that you quoted with an alternative in my post earlier in the thread. If these don't work, then the device is faulty and you should return it for a replacement.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:15 AM   #7
sbwtxj
Groupie
sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.sbwtxj is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Ouch, there is no need to shout.

The instructions are in the post that you quoted with an alternative in my post earlier in the thread. If these don't work, then the device is faulty and you should return it for a replacement.
The happening of the problem only lies in the system update process is canceled.

Now,
While I use a USB cable charging process, the power light is flashing.
Both the initial charge, and the initial boot, the screen is flashing white and black, and then there are the blank screen.

Through the USB cable to connect the computer, the computer can not find H2O DEVICE DISK.

So i can not use manual methods to restore factory Settings.

If anyone I encountered this kind of problem for KOBO aura H2O?

I must return to factory maintenance device?

thanks
Old 02-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The happening of the problem only lies in the system update process is canceled.
Now,
While I use a USB cable charging process, the power light is flashing.
Both the initial charge, and the initial boot, the screen is flashing white and black, and then there are the blank screen.

Through the USB cable to connect the computer, the computer can not find H2O DEVICE DISK.

So i can not use manual methods to restore factory Settings.

If anyone I encountered this kind of problem for KOBO aura H2O?

I must return to factory maintenance device?
You do not need to use the PC when doing a factory reset. And it can't initiated from the PC. You have to do it on the device.

There are three ways to initiate a factory reset on an Aura H2O:
  • From the "Device information" screen of the settings. But, this means that the device has to be able to start and reach that point. Yours is not.
  • If you restart the device four times and the Kobo system cannot be started (this is called "nickel"), it should start doing the factory reset. This means the device has to get to the screen with the five "dancing squares". Again, I don't think you are reaching that point.
  • Using a sequence of the buttons and taps on the screen. Quokka quoted these steps above. Please try them. And every step is important.

And as I said before, if you can't do the above and get to the point where the device is running and the PC sees it, then the device is faulty. Take it back and get a replacement. There have been a few reports of problems like this.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
OT: Declaring one's nationality/country of residence in the profile can be useful, especially when one isn't too fluent in english, a technically savy compatriot could always come to rescue
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #10
sbwtxj
Groupie

Be told is H2O software issue

Quote:
You do not need to use the PC when doing a factory reset. And it can't initiated from the PC. You have to do it on the device.

There are three ways to initiate a factory reset on an Aura H2O:
  • From the "Device information" screen of the settings. But, this means that the device has to be able to start and reach that point. Yours is not.
  • If you restart the device four times and the Kobo system cannot be started (this is called "nickel"), it should start doing the factory reset. This means the device has to get to the screen with the five "dancing squares". Again, I don't think you are reaching that point.
  • Using a sequence of the buttons and taps on the screen. Quokka quoted these steps above. Please try them. And every step is important.

And as I said before, if you can't do the above and get to the point where the device is running and the PC sees it, then the device is faulty. Take it back and get a replacement. There have been a few reports of problems like this.
Office custom explained it is software issue. NOT BOOT>
How to repair it ? No return,expensive postage!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Office custom explained it is software issue. NOT BOOT>
How to repair it ? No return,expensive postage!
The only other suggestions I have are to try a different computer, USB port or cable. If it works when you do this, it means the original PC, port or cable is the problem. If it doesn't, then the device is faulty and needs to be replaced.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit to be somewhat confused as to the history of sbwtxj's unit. What exactly was done to it? What mods were installed? Was the device opened?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #13
karamasova
karamasova began at the beginning.

Device: h2o
Manual factory reset processes:

Reset #1 - For use on a device that can be powered on
1.Ensure that the device is turned on
2.Straighten a paper clip
3.Open the water proof door at the bottom of the device
4.Very quickly perform 4 basic resets by clicking the internal reset button 4 times
5.A screen will appear asking if you want to perform a factory reset
6.Tap the checkmark icon. You may have to put the device to sleep then back on in order for the screen to respond to touch
7.Complete the device setup after the reset completes

Reset #2 - For use on a device that can or cannot be powered on
1.Press and hold the power button for 5 to 6 seconds to turn it off
2.Press and hold the power button
3.With two fingers, simultaneously and repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the touch screen
4.Continue to tap the corners repeatedly until the device begins to reset
5.Complete the device setup after the reset completes
karamasova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #14
sbwtxj
Groupie

woo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Reset #2 - For use on a device that can or cannot be powered on
1.Press and hold the power button for 5 to 6 seconds to turn it off
2.Press and hold the power button
3.With two fingers, simultaneously and repeatedly tap the bottom corners of the touch screen
4.Continue to tap the corners repeatedly until the device begins to reset
5.Complete the device setup after the reset completes"

this way save me!!!!
My h2o get back to life.
thanks!