Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: January 2012 Mobile Read Book Club Run-Off Vote
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold by John le Carré 20 45.45%
Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse 24 54.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #76
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
But nobody said it should!!! * sigh* How do these things even start. At no point did anybody say that the book has to be available everywhere.
Then I'll ask again. If the books are not required to be available everywhere *why* is the effort being made to provide a list of sites. Surely the folks who live in Australia, Canada, Sweden, England, etc. know where to purchase ebooks locally, so that shouldn't need a list for them. I have no intention of search worldwide to make sure any book I nominate is available worldwide. That leaves the mods or interested parties to do the searches and then append that information to the nominations. I seriously do not see the need. If you're interested in reading the *book*, you should vote for the *book*. If it's not available as an ebook at your location, I'm pretty sure you can find it in another format. Unfortunately, availability versus quality is generally a kiss of death for the voting process.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I still don't see the harm in adding the links to the post. And where was it said that an ebook had to be available everywhere? The only suggestion that seemed to come even close to that was Jon's saying:

I think most of us would agree that that finding a book available everywhere would be pretty impossible.

As to Jon's suggestion, I said that I liked it. If, however, having a rule about books being available in ebook format in those three regions completely diminishes the nomination process, then I will withdraw my support of that suggestion.

But I think the links to should stay.
And my suggestion about availability was shot down and that's OK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But nobody said it should!!! * sigh* How do these things even start. At no point did anybody say that the book has to be available everywhere.
Nobody said I cannot nominate a book that's not an eBook in the USA. This just sounds so like the Republicans and Obama's health care that it's not funny.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Then I'll ask again. If the books are not required to be available everywhere *why* is the effort being made to provide a list of sites. Surely the folks who live in Australia, Canada, Sweden, England, etc. know where to purchase ebooks locally, so that shouldn't need a list for them. I have no intention of search worldwide to make sure any book I nominate is available worldwide. That leaves the mods or interested parties to do the searches and then append that information to the nominations. I seriously do not see the need. If you're interested in reading the *book*, you should vote for the *book*. If it's not available as an ebook at your location, I'm pretty sure you can find it in another format. Unfortunately, availability versus quality is generally a kiss of death for the voting process.
I've said the idea came because of Black Rain. It won as January's book. Now we are getting a number of posts that it's not available as an eBook. I cannot say how many of these people voted for it. But if they know ahead of time it's not available in the format they want, it won't be voted for.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:48 PM   #80
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
We have been having an entire discussion about this, previous to your post, which has lead us to where we are. Suffice it to say: If you don't like the links, you don't have to use them.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #81
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that that is over, and so that I am clear:

Tom, is it a rule or is it an understanding that the book should be available as an ebook somewhere? Or, is ebook availability no longer necessary for consideration?
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #82
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

Tom, is it a rule or is it an understanding that the book should be available as an ebook somewhere? Or, is ebook availability no longer necessary for consideration?
I'm not Tom... but it's gotta be an eBook... the nomination thread text should mention this. Although it looks like it doesn't currently.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #83
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
We had a short conversation on that about a half a year or so ago. I think pilotbob said that it had to be available as an ebook either in the U.S. or Canada to be eligible, so a book would be ineligible only if it were available in neither of the two.

I think the logic was something about the U.S. being where most of our members are from while Canada is where this site originates from. My memory of it is a bit hazy but that's my recollection of it.

ETA - I see pilotbob posted above me. Do you recall that, pilotbob? Actually, what you are saying now sounds correct, that it just has to be available as an ebook somewhere. Maybe someone else just proposed the U.S./Canada thing but it wasn't the actual rule.

Last edited by sun surfer; 12-28-2011 at 03:18 PM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

It has always been that a nominated book has to be a legal eBook in at least one eBook store at the time of nomination. A Canticle for Lebowitz was available in one store as a large print Mobipocket version. Now since that store no longer sells Mobipocket, that books could not be nominated as it's not available anyplace as a legal eBook.

I did not know of the USA/Canada restriction though.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-28-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #85
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think that just may have been a mistake on my part. I think someone proposed that with the logic I posted but it wasn't ever a rule. Now that pilotbob has posted, I think he made clear then that as long as it's an ebook somewhere it's acceptable, as you say.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #86
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not Tom... but it's gotta be an eBook... the nomination thread text should mention this. Although it looks like it doesn't currently.

BOb
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
We had a short conversation on that about a half a year or so ago. I think pilotbob said that it had to be available as an ebook either in the U.S. or Canada to be eligible, so a book would be ineligible only if it were available in neither of the two.

I think the logic was something about the U.S. being where most of our members are from while Canada is where this site originates from. My memory of it is a bit hazy but that's my recollection of it.

ETA - I see pilotbob posted above me. Do you recall that, pilotbob? Actually, what you are saying now sounds correct, that it just has to be available as an ebook somewhere. Maybe someone else just proposed the U.S./Canada thing but it wasn't the actual rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It has always been that a nominated book has to be a legal eBook in at least one eBook store at the time of nomination. A Canticle for Lebowitz was available in one store as a large print Mobipocket version. Now since that store no longer sells Mobipocket, that books could not be nominated as it's not available anyplace as a legal eBook.

Thank you all.

It having to be an ebook somewhere makes sense!! I would also understand the USA/Canada stipulation, if it were in place.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #87
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Well, I decided to spend a little money and buy Black Rain. I think my daughter will want to read it as well, and I spend so little on books nowadays with e-libraries providing most of my reads.
Put my (real) US address in, found a 35% discount code and payed $5.84 at Kobo.
If I don't have my US address in my profile and log in at Kobo the book doesn't even show up when searching due to georestrictions.
I could have waited for my library to reopen Jan 16th and get a hardcopy, but I really, REALLY, prefer ebook reading.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:28 PM   #88
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just to be very clear, no one is asked to do anything differently when nominating a book. No rules have been changed. No one is saying that a ebook has to be available in every country. Here is the additional wording which will appear in the second post of the nominating thread, along with a tally of the nominated books:

Quote:
Wondering if a particular book is available in your country? The following spoiler contains a list of bookstores outside the United States you can search. If you don't see a bookstore on this list for your country, find one that is, sent me the link via PM, and I'll add it to the list. In addition, if members let me know that an ebook is unavailable in a particular geographic location, I'll note it in this post, right beside the Inkmesh search for that particular book.

Spoiler:
Australian
Angus Robertson
Booktopia
Borders
Dymocks
Google

Canada
Amazon. Make sure you are logged out. Then go to the Kindle Store. Search for a book. After the search results come up, in the upper right corner of the screen, change the country to Canada and search away.
Google
Sony eBookstore (Upper right corner switch to/from US/CA)

UK
BooksOnBoard (In the upper right corner is a way to switch to the UK store)
Amazon
Google
Waterstones
WH Smith
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #89
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just to be very clear, no one is asked to do anything differently when nominating a book. No rules have been changed. No one is saying that a ebook has to be available in every country. Here is the additional wording which will appear in the second post of the nominating thread, along with a tally of the nominated books:
Change "sent to "send me the link". Other than that it looks great!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Change "sent to "send me the link". Other than that it looks great!
Thanks. The wife was rushing me out the door while I was writing that, so at least I've got an excuse for that typo!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote