Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
HTC Desire will not get Gingerbread

Quote:
Our engineering teams have been working hard for the past few months to find a way to bring Gingerbread to the HTC Desire without compromising the HTC Sense experience you’ve come to expect from our phones. However, we’re sorry to announce that we’ve been forced to accept there isn’t enough memory to allow us both to bring Gingerbread and keep the HTC Sense experience on the HTC Desire. We’re sincerely sorry for the disappointment that this news may bring to some of you.
http://www.facebook.com/notes/htc-uk...25607660802056
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Then scrap Sense.

These GUIs are just a company's way to lock down a device. Stock Android is better.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Desire already has Gingerbread + Sense (not from HTC)

Desire has been running Gingerbread with and without Sense for several months now using ROM images from independent sources. It seems that it may only be HTC that can not figure it out.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Now it looks like it will get the Gingerbread update: http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/15/h...ing-to-desire/
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Desire has been running Gingerbread with and without Sense for several months now using ROM images from independent sources. It seems that it may only be HTC that can not figure it out.
I am selling my HTC because got tired of spend all my precious time downloading and fixing issues from those unsupported versions. They are slow, buggy and drains battery as crazy!

It's better to buy a device which comes with Android preinstalled already. If that's not the version you want or like it's better wait or find another phone.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I am selling my HTC because got tired of spend all my precious time downloading and fixing issues from those unsupported versions. They are slow, buggy and drains battery as crazy!
Hmmm, the third party roms from xda-developers seem to be well supported by the responsible developers. You certainly can find buggy high drain roms, but anyone doing a thoughtful selection can find fast, reliable, and efficient roms on xda-developers too. Your description is more the anomaly than the rule in my experience.
Quote:
It's better to buy a device which comes with Android preinstalled already. If that's not the version you want or like it's better wait or find another phone.
That is always good advice for a user unwilling to acquire the knowledge to do their own customizing properly.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Hmmm, the third party roms from xda-developers seem to be well supported by the responsible developers. You certainly can find buggy high drain roms, but anyone doing a thoughtful selection can find fast, reliable, and efficient roms on xda-developers too. Your description is more the anomaly than the rule in my experience.
That is always good advice for a user unwilling to acquire the knowledge to do their own customizing properly.
Hi Dave,

I tried several rooms from XDA, all of them with problems. Because they are custom, drains a lot of battery or some features are just missing for my particular phone.

Also, developers come and go; they support some ROMs for months but usually they move on and start developing a different ROM or for a different device.

Granted, it is a nice way to convert a Windows phone to Android, like the nice HTC. I had. Or if you don't have the money to acquire a true Android device. But on my case was not lack of knowledge , I'm a long time Linux user.

As a reliable business phone that you use for work all days, I would not recommend that exercise to anyone but a stock Android experience. But if you have a spare phone of you can live with minor Android issues I agree with you and sometimes is even cheaper than get a full and stock Android experience, like the Nook Color tablet for example.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Hi Dave,

I tried several rooms from XDA, all of them with problems. Because they are custom, drains a lot of battery or some features are just missing for my particular phone.

Also, developers come and go; they support some ROMs for months but usually they move on and start developing a different ROM or for a different device.

Granted, it is a nice way to convert a Windows phone to Android, like the nice HTC. I had. Or if you don't have the money to acquire a true Android device. But on my case was not lack of knowledge , I'm a long time Linux user.

As a reliable business phone that you use for work all days, I would not recommend that exercise to anyone but a stock Android experience. But if you have a spare phone of you can live with minor Android issues I agree with you and sometimes is even cheaper than get a full and stock Android experience, like the Nook Color tablet for example.
I am sorry if I misunderstood your point of view. I am using a custom Froyo rom with only very slight modifications from stock, other than rooting. It has been very reliable and well supported all this year. There are several others that also seem to be well supported on XDA-Developers, although I do know of some that are battery eaters as well. I just did not want to see all of the open-source work down by the XDA-Developers people painted with the same brush as your first post in this thread seemed to do.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #9
peegee
Enthusiast
peegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enoughpeegee will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
From personal experience, I agree with Dave.

I've been using the same custom rom for months now and it's very reliable. everything works, battery life is good, no sudden reboots or odd behaviour. Mine is an original android phone (htc desire) , I just prefer the rom I got from xda.

Also my son has a cheap android phone and we found a replacement rom for that on xda which is much better than the stock rom.

I would recommend it to anyone.
peegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline

@Dave,

They do an awesome job. I've even pay or supported some of them via Paypal, I'm a programmer too ;-)

But not all ROMs are perfect and it also depend of how good or bad the hardware is for the ROM.

Regardless, I personally love Android and I think that is better and more powerful than other cellphone Os ( won't mention names, lol, I won't start a flame war)