Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Which eBook reader should I get?
Sony PRS-650 53 42.06%
Nook 10 7.94%
Kobo 11 8.73%
Kindle 3 46 36.51%
Other (Please post and let me know which eBook reader) 6 4.76%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #16
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by erictoma View Post
They give you well priced machine but force you to buy only from them !
the real issue is that half of their books are not available for Canadian customers and you cannot buy from other stores but kindle read only its native format.
This is incorrect.

Here is just one reference with tons of links to Kindle books.

If the Canadian part of the equation changes things, I'll have to ask forgiveness.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Frankly, I think the OP would do well with a 5" Sony 350, which handles PDF issues better than most,
and is in the price range.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #18
polly
Evangelist
polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, PocketBook 360, Astak PocketPro (RIP), Tungsten T3
Quote:
I'm a newbie lol, but I have read that sonny 650 has less glare ! but is still has this issue.
I hate sonny gadgets by the way
thanks for the info about kobo
You shouldn't believe everything you read. The 600 and 900 had problems with screen clarity because there was a touch sensitive layer on top of the eink. The 350/650/950 do NOT have this layer. These readers use an infrared beam, so nothing to read through and muddy the words. In fact, the Kindle 3 and the Sony 350/650/950 use exactly the same screen and have exactly the same clarity.

These new Sonys and the Kindle 3 are the only ones that have the new and improved Pearl screen. The Kobo, Nook, etc are still using the older generation of epaper.

For a Canadian use, I'd strongly recommend something that reads ePubs, because you have a lot more options for where to buy books. Amazon uses your computer IP address to decide where you live. If they don't sell the book you want in Canada, you have to use a VPN to get a US IP address. Your more likely to find a store that will sell to you if you use ePubs. And, of course, we can't forget libraries. I think it's Philadelphia's library that will give you a card for $15.00/year. If your lucky, your local library is one of an increasing number that offer library books for free.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:08 PM   #19
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have purchased/gotten books from Smashwords and Bewrite for the Kindle. You are NOT limited to purchasing from Amazon.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #20
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
You shouldn't believe everything you read. The 600 and 900 had problems with screen clarity because there was a touch sensitive layer on top of the eink. The 350/650/950 do NOT have this layer. These readers use an infrared beam, so nothing to read through and muddy the words. In fact, the Kindle 3 and the Sony 350/650/950 use exactly the same screen and have exactly the same clarity.

Thanks for this great information !
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got the Sony 350. I think that there is more glare from the brushed aluminum case than there is from the touch screen. It handles PDF's well, but the only thing is, with PDF's that contain a lot of images or quirky layouts, the larger the screen size, the better the reading experience is. I think that rule of thumb holds true for any ereader.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:09 PM   #22
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
They give you well priced machine but force you to buy only from them !
the real issue is that half of their books are not available for Canadian customers and you cannot buy from other stores but kindle read only its native format.
I am so sick of reading this. You can buy books for the Kindle from other book stores. There are many stores that sell books in Mobi that you can read on a Kindle without converting.

You cannot buy books from B&N, Kobo, or Sony and read those on a Kindle right away. You can strip DRM and convert books if you are comfortable technologically and ethically with that.

If you are concerned about price, the Kindle, Kobo, and Nook are all in the same price range.

I would recommend the Kindle. Of the three that are similarly priced, it has the easiest to use dictionary and note taking ability. Amazon's e-books store is the largest and Amazons customer service is amazing. It also has the best screen of those three.

If you want to pay a bit more look at the Sonys. The only Sony I would consider buying is the 950 because I strongly prefer my ereader to have at least WiFi if not 3G connectivity. I love being able to download books without having to worry about having a computer near by.

The other feature I love on the Kindle is the synching ability. I have a K1 and a DXG and use Kindle 4 PC. Being able to have my device sync is great.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM   #23
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am so sick of reading this. You can buy books for the Kindle from other book stores. There are many stores that sell books in Mobi that you can read on a Kindle without converting.
Sorry for making you sick
Where are those sites that sell eBooks compatible with Kindle format?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,1136.0.html

This was posted in post #16.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #25
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Did you understand my request before giving this link?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #26
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

There are at least 7 sites in that list that sell books that are compatible with the Kindle plus a ton that have free books for the Kindle.

Not to mention, Amazon has the largest ebook store so is more likely to carry the books people are looking for.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:53 PM   #27
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Take a look at a PocketBook 301+. It's the Swiss Army knife of ereaders as far as file formats go. It has decent PDF support, too. And very, very, very light!
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #28
erictoma
Banned

Quote:

Not to mention, Amazon has the largest ebook store so is more likely to carry the books people are looking for.
Kindle is large for American customers lol and very disabled for Canadians

Give me just one serious site that sells Kindle format
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 PM   #29
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

All of the bookstores are going to be "disabled" for Canadian users. That has nothing to do with Amazon. Geo Restrictions negatively impact B&N, Kobo, Sony, and every other e-book store out there.

The distributors (Amazon, Kobo, B&N, Sony, Apple) can only sell certain books in certain countries because different publishers own the rights to a book. A different Publisher owns the rights to Harry Potter. That is why it was released in different countries at different times. The same goes for every book. If a Publisher chooses to release a book in the e-book form in the US and the different Publisher of that same book chooses not to release the e-book in Canada there is nothing that the distributors can do about it.

Take a look at the bookstores. Find a book with geo restictions on any of their websites. Then check the competitors websites. I bet you that the same book will not be available because of geo restrictions on those sites as well.

There are entire topic devoted to how to get around the geo restrictions. Mainly it involves getting a US address, using a program that masks your IP Address, and buying books using gift cards.

Don't believe me? Go check the Nook forum and the Sony forum and the Kobo forum.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
...there's always the DarkNet....doesn't matter where you live for that....
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, kindle 3, kobo, nook, sony prs-650