Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
ksmms
ksmms began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Brand new Reader, bad screen display

I upgraded my old PRS-500 to the 600 Touch edition which I purchased online from Sony Style, and planned to return the 500 for the $75 rebate. The 600 arrived on Friday. I have a barrel charger which I used to charge it overnight, the successfully authorized the device on Saturday. I had already purchased one book for the 600 and had no trouble moving that book from the Reader software to the Touch. All was well. I thought I was set.

Then yesterday I got the Touch out and was learning how to use it, exploring the options, calibration, etc. As a PDA user for years, I know how to use a stylus so I'm not a newbie. As I was changing the orientation, the display got completely garbled and now looks like an incomplete etch-a-sketch with ghost lines and a few odd marks. Soft and hard resets did not solve the problem. The power switch doesn't always work now, but it's hard to tell if the device is on or not because of the bad display, and the lights don't always come on. When I power on/off, the welcome screen flashes clearly for about one second, and then the display returns to a mangled mess.

I chatted with online Sony help, and they suggested I return the device. I've got the return merchandise authorization and will return it tomorrow.

After reading through the forums, I cannot figure out how this happened, and my only thought is that this is a bum device. I didn't drop it or damage it in any way. In fact, I've hardly had a chance to do anything with it.

I have it back on the charger at the moment and the red light has come on, but the display is still crapped out.

Other than returning the device for a replacement, have any of you seen or heard of this issue?
ksmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
After you reset the device did you actually slide the power switch to turn it on?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
digitaldolf
digitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-booksdigitaldolf has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony touch PRS-600
No, I have read through a lot of forum messages from different forums and read a lot of reviews before buying the PRS-600 but didn't come across this problem. Seems like you just bought a faulty reader. Send it back and hopefully you have your new, fault free one soon. Good luck.
digitaldolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
ksmms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
After you reset the device did you actually slide the power switch to turn it on?
Soft reset, I used a paperclip inserted into the reset button, and then turned the power switch. Hard reset, I followed the directions posted here and on the Sony site.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
ksmms

I'm wondering if this has a bad battery.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmms View Post
Soft reset, I used a paperclip inserted into the reset button, and then turned the power switch. Hard reset, I followed the directions posted here and on the Sony site.
OK...I know some people do the reset and don't slide the power switch after. I'm sorry you're experiencing this frustration.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
ksmms

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
OK...I know some people do the reset and don't slide the power switch after. I'm sorry you're experiencing this frustration.
Thanks for double-checking with me.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
lovelyloey
Enthusiast
lovelyloey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Wow the etch-a-sketch thing sounds dangerously like a broken e-ink matrix. I hope they can fix it, or replace it for you.
lovelyloey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
ksmms

It's brand new, right out of the box, I would think they would replace it. I didn't spend $300 for nothing.

It's odd. The thing won't turn off, sometimes the proper screen shot appears for a second and then immediately craps out.

Returning it today. I'll post what happens.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
conundrum
Enthusiast
conundrum began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
re. broken prs600

hmm.

EDIT:- the fuzziness on page turns in landscape mode is a feature not a fault. Still if anyone does find a way to turn it off (or at least use a different way to show a page jump) I'd appreciate it.

other than this no problems apart from the usual ghosting when battery flat...

Also, this symptom sounds like one of the screws holding the battery in was a fraction too long and pressed on the exposed back of the screen (don't ask how i found that out!!)

-A

Last edited by conundrum; 02-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I hope you can get a replacement. The error sounds identical to mine and when I sent it back they accused me of throwing it about! See my post on here about uk Sony warranty. The fact that yours shows a good picture for even a moment may indicate a software or some kind of cable issue.

@Conundrum - I noticed that too on my 600, I think it shows where the pages overlap, so the writing at the bottom of one page will show at the top of the next page but fuzzy, I hope you understand because I haven't explained it very well!
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #12
conundrum
Enthusiast

oh, thanks for that

btw this doesen't sound like a broken screen, as it would be a permanent imprint.

did you try plugging it into a PC and reflashing? just a thought.
-A
Old 03-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So have you now a new working 600?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #14
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I never tried flashing no couldn't even reset as there was no information on screen. How did you know about the screw pressing on the screen? I may ask Sony if that's the case with mine - though they just smile and regurgitate autopilot responses! Useless.
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
conundrum
Enthusiast

um, it happened to my PRS-505

i found out that was why it broke, turns out if you remove the battery there is a gap in the screen surround where a screw nearly touches the screen..

Tags
display, screen defect