Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
user9302
user9302 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Ereader choice for a Canadian?

Canadian here who wants to acquire an e-reader.

Based on the following criteria - which one would you suggest?:

- preferably within $115 with HST included price ceiling
- supports good formats(will use Calibri to convert everything into EPUB)
- lightweight
- has hardware buttons
- with screen technology and resolution that isn't hurtful for the eyes(eye strain/damage safe in general)
- expandable memory support
- mp3/audio support(bonus)
- excellent dictionary functionality (new)

Last edited by user9302; 12-31-2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: forgot about the dictionary support which is very important
user9302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
You could pursue the various deals discussed in this thread and purchase a Kobo Glo or an Aura. The only criteria it doesn't meet is hardware buttons and mp3 support. If buttons are a showstopper your choices would be Amazon Kindle basic (have to convert epub to mobi and no expandable memory) or a Sony for an e-ink device.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
user9302

Does Sony offer everything then?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe the PRS-T1 supported mp3, but PRS-T2 and PRS-T3 don't.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
user9302

Okay. If we ignore the hardware buttons then which ereader has the best dictionary built-in and format array?
Old 12-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard

Sony has the Oxford English dictionary, and from what I've heard from members here, the best dictionary support. Kobo and Kindle have Merriam-Webster. I believe you can purchase and install additional dictionaries for the Kindle as a supported feature.

Kindle does not support epub. Kobo supports cbz and unofficially mobi format. All support pdf. So in terms of number of formats, I think Kobo is ahead.

The biggest differentiator between the Sony T3 and the Kobo Glo or Aura is the built-in front light, which is a really nice feature and the T3 doesn't have one. The Kindle Paperwhite also has a light, but is over your stated budget price.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
user9302

Truly unfortunate it's so hard to pick an ereader.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
treadlightly
Wizard

That's true but we are lucky that we have some choice! There are other devices available from Europe but for easy returns and support we are generally limited to these three. Can you get to a store (Chapters/Indigo or Future Shop/Best Buy) to see if you like the front light and lack of buttons of the Kobo?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
user9302

That's a good idea. I will visit Chapters Indigo, Best Buy or Future Shop and a nearby Sony store to try them out.

Front light is used for reading without external light source I assume? Thing is it's not so important to me because reading in the dark is not good for your eyes.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #10
treadlightly
Wizard

The light makes the background a lot whiter, increasing contrast and making it easier to discern text. I rarely read in a dark room but since I have had a front lit device, I could never go back to regular eInk. It just looks too grey to me now. Before deciding that you don't need it I would recommend seeing one in person. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by user9302 View Post
Based on the following criteria - which one would you suggest?:
- supports good formats(will use Calibri to convert everything into EPUB)
If you are happy to remove DRM if required and use Calibre to convert, any of the available ereaders will be fine, since you can convert to either .epub or .azw3 (the newer version of the Kindle format) and both will look very similar.

- lightweight
They are all pretty lightweight, although the Kindle Paperwhite is probably the biggest and heaviest of the latest and most popular (Kobo Aura, Sony T3, Kindle) it's all pretty relative as the PW is still pretty small and light (206 g and 170 x 117 x 9 mm, compared to the smallest, the Aura at 174g and 150 x 114 x 8.1 mm)

- has hardware buttons
Only the Sony T3 has hardware buttons (at the bottom of the screen).

- with screen technology and resolution that isn't hurtful for the eyes(eye strain/damage safe in general)
They all have excellent resolution, the clarity of the T3 is probably best since it doesn't have an inbuilt light and the light slightly impacts the screen due to the additional layer it requires, then the Paperwhite, with the Aura next (although those who like the Aura can argue that as it's font options are more customisable, it helps negate this anyway). The light is useful in dull/low light settings and is not just for use in a completely dark room. I'd second treadlightly's suggestion that you try and look at one instore before deciding. Many people would never go back to a non-lighted reader after getting one, but some people feel it makes their reading experience more akin to reading on a tablet than an eink ereader.

- expandable memory support
Either the Sony or Kobo for this, the Kindle doesn't use an SD card, Amazon encourage you to use their cloud storage instead.

- mp3/audio support(bonus)
None of the above. You'd need to look at the older models for this (Kindle Touch, Sony T1).

- excellent dictionary functionality (new)
Both the Sony and the Kindle have very good dictionaries (Oxford Dictionary), and very good dictionary support in general, whereas the Kobo dictionary is just adequate. Depends on how much you use them I guess as to whether you would notice a difference.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
I was asking pretty much exactly the same questions as you a few days ago and Kacir recommended to me the PocketBook touch lux 623. I live in Spain and it is just a tad easier to buy the PocketBook touch lux 623 in Europe but this reader really delivers on every front. I have ordered mine from Amazon.es. Germany (Legalo) and France (Pixmania and Boutique Pocketbook) seem to be the easiest places to get them from. You get a lot for your money with this ereader, so at least have a look at it.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
If you don't mind a trip South of the border, the nook simple touch is a decent reader, albeit a bit old now, and sells for $59. One of the few with hardware buttons.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #14
user9302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertolt View Post
I was asking pretty much exactly the same questions as you a few days ago and Kacir recommended to me the PocketBook touch lux 623. I live in Spain and it is just a tad easier to buy the PocketBook touch lux 623 in Europe but this reader really delivers on every front. I have ordered mine from Amazon.es. Germany (Legalo) and France (Pixmania and Boutique Pocketbook) seem to be the easiest places to get them from. You get a lot for your money with this ereader, so at least have a look at it.
That PocketBook looks very good.
How's the dictionary support compared to Oxford on Kobo and Sony?
The only problem I guess is that it has a weak battery supply?(8000 pages)
I think Kobo has like 30000 pages or maybe I'm wrong and it's 3000 only for Kobo then it's all fine.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #15
user9302

So I decided to go with Sony PRS-T1.
Problem is it's pretty hard to find it since T3 exists.
What will I lose if I go with T3 instead of trying to dig up a used T1 somewhere?
So far what I know:
Bigger resolution - I know that T3 has bigger resolution. Is that better of worse for the eyes?
No audio(mp3) on T3.

Last edited by user9302; 01-01-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: few points

Tags
ereader, help choice, help deciding