Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Sigil has trashed more files

Several weeks ago I reported a bug on the Sigil website, that the program had truncated one of the files in the book. I was able to recover that file. After that I saved before I did anything like split and merge and checked that all was well before I saved again. I finally got through the first pass and had gone back to proofread, when I discovered two more files that had been truncated. I was able to recover those from a backup I had made at the time of the first problem. Now, this morning I added a cover page and cover and wanted to see what it looked like in Kindle Previewer. Previewer couldn't compile the book. Why? Too many unresolvable links in the toc. Three more truncated files. One, the only thing that is left is the heading.

The only place those edited files exist is in the last mobi file created by Previewer, and I don't know if it's even possible to get at those.

So, all that's left I guess is to go back to the raw files and rebuild the truncated files from scratch. A LOT of work. And, of course, I'll have to find some other program to do this with, lest Sigil trash more files in the process. And I'll have to keep Sigil running while I do this and pray Windows doesn't do and update before I get it done. No telling what Sigil would do with all those unresolvable links, probably throw them away.

Version 0.7.1, but I've downloaded at least two new versions while working on this book. (Oh, and you moved the Windows versions from Program Files to Program Files (x86), so my registry's screwed up somewhere and I can no longer use Open with for Sigil. Thanks.)

There's no real question here, I'm just venting. Of course, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them. Have a nice day.

What's left of the above mentioned file:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?><?eml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
  <head>
    <title>part0001</title>
    <meta content="abbyy to epub tool, v0.2" name="generator"/>
    <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
    <meta content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"/>
  </head>
  <body>
<div class="hdg" id="July3">
<p class="rt">Wednesday, July 3, 1867</p>
<h1>July 3, 1867</h1>
</div>

<p class="rt"><b>Wednesday,</b> <i>July</i>  3, 1867.</p>

<div class="hdg" id="ljamcmillan">
<p class="rt">Wednesday, July 3, 1867</p>
</div></body></html>
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You've not got HTML Tidy turned on to auto, have you?

It's not really moved to Program Files (x86), just that there isn't a 64-bit version anymore. Perhaps you should clean your computer of all things Sigl and just reinstall the latest version.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't let Tidy have a go at trying to fix things and I've never had any files truncated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

I've had Tidy turned off from the beginning.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
sellew
Enthusiast
sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sellew has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
...and I can no longer use Open with for Sigil.
I don't know how to help with the data loss issue, but there is an easy solution to solve the Open with problem:
Just reinstall Sigil (again...I know) and then tick the "Associate ebook files with Sigil" option in the window that appears at the beginning of the installation. That's all.
sellew is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
If you ever get an error about a tag not closed, etc., do you ever tell Sigil to fix it automatically? I never do and I've never experienced what you're getting.

When I'm doing major changes to a book, I often make a copy of the epub so if I screw something up badly, I still have the full version of the untouched book to recover. Until you sort out why this is happening, I'd suggest always making a copy before you start editing again.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
If you ever get an error about a tag not closed, etc., do you ever tell Sigil to fix it automatically? I never do and I've never experienced what you're getting.

When I'm doing major changes to a book, I often make a copy of the epub so if I screw something up badly, I still have the full version of the untouched book to recover. Until you sort out why this is happening, I'd suggest always making a copy before you start editing again.
No, I never have Sigil fix anything.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Have you been doing search and replace? This function can cause things to go sideways fast. It may be possible depending on your source that undisplayed characters might cause a problem.

Is the problem isolated to just this one file? Is there another you could try to see if this particular file is troubled? If it is a cheesed copy of a copyrighted book who knows what is in it.

You can probably get back something of a copy by running the .mobi through calibre. At least that way there should not be anything wrong with file except too much calibre stuff in it...it is ugly, but functional.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
Have you been doing search and replace? This function can cause things to go sideways fast. It may be possible depending on your source that undisplayed characters might cause a problem.

Is the problem isolated to just this one file? Is there another you could try to see if this particular file is troubled? If it is a cheesed copy of a copyrighted book who knows what is in it.

You can probably get back something of a copy by running the .mobi through calibre. At least that way there should not be anything wrong with file except too much calibre stuff in it...it is ugly, but functional.
Yes, I did a few global search and replace and I suspect that may have been at least part of the problem (two of the files were truncated right where there would have been a replace.)

There have been six files total...so far. Previewer said there were unresolvable links to these latest three, and I'm just hoping the rest are intact. And, no, I'm not ripping off someone else's work.

I was mistaken about the mobi files. The files were already gone in the earliest mobi copy I made. There was an update to Previewer and maybe that's why it didn't complain before.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
JimmyG
If your S&R goes sideways and leaves a malformed section, you could end up with anything if you let Sigil fix the trouble before exiting..
always save before doing a global S&R. Discard (and reload the document) is your friend if you then find yourself over the cliff
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
JimmyG
If your S&R goes sideways and leaves a malformed section, you could end up with anything if you let Sigil fix the trouble before exiting..
always save before doing a global S&R. Discard (and reload the document) is your friend if you then find yourself over the cliff
Not just save, but make an actual copy of the book for backup. The problem is there's no way to know if part of a file has gone south, short of checking each file. Reports tells me that file above is 68K...

I've got two of the files rebuilt and working on the third (outside of Sigil.) When I get them done and put back into Sigil, I'm going to have to go through and check each file (54, it's a BIG book) and see if there are any others missing.

I've got a list of things I have to check, repeated errors I've noticed, to see if I've caught them all. Do you know if finding and replacing each instance in All html files is as hinky as Replace all?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not sure what "hinky" means? S & R in itself probably isn't the problem. But it tends to do EXACTLY what you tell it to! Never forget it acts on the HTML, not just the text. I would always do a few individual S & R operations before committing to a Replace All. Even then, Save before and check immediately afterwards.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Not sure what "hinky" means? S & R in itself probably isn't the problem. But it tends to do EXACTLY what you tell it to! Never forget it acts on the HTML, not just the text. I would always do a few individual S & R operations before committing to a Replace All. Even then, Save before and check immediately afterwards.
I have frequently seen S&R skip (on the find) some matches. If you do a second pass, it now finds them.

It could be something hinky with my pretty-basic pattern , but I have also seen this happen with a long standing, saved search.

It has been a Long-ago time (~V4) since I have seen code just disappear (no S&R). Then the code usually had WEB page (java) artifacts or major code problems.
You might W3C validate BEFORE you let Sigil touch unproven code.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
JimmyG
Zealot

Well, I got the three files rebuilt and put back into Sigil (one missing right angle bracket,) and checked all the other files and found them intact. Now, I can go ask the question I was going to ask before the shtf.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
Dillinquent
eBook pro
Dillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toysDillinquent shares his or her toys

Device: PC, iPad, Kindle, Kindle Fire, Galaxy Ace
No idea about the Sigil issue but you can recover your HTML files from your Mobi file using Calibre with the MobiUnpack plugin.
Dillinquent is offline   Reply With Quote