Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #61
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Tinithraviel - welcome to MobileRead.

I'm afraid that sort of general comment is not particularly useful to anyone wanting to help you

We need specific details of the book you were trying to download metadata for. Did it have an ISBN or just title/author - if the latter, what were they. Even better would be to configure your metadata download to only have the Goodreads plugin enabled, and then post here inside a spoiler tag the contents of the log file (that you can see when you click on the "View log" button when retrieving metadata).
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #62
Tinithraviel
Tinithraviel began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks for welcome,

I have been using this plugin and Goodreads sync for a while now. About half of my books are linked to goodreads and most have ISBN. I havent opened calibre for a month and when i tried today it always fails.
I have tried downloading metadata for books with just tile/author, with ISBN, with goodreads ID but it always fails. Even the books with metadata i had downloaded from goodreads before says the same thing. Goodread Sync works well.

Example:
A Crown of Swords - Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time[7]

When i try to download both metadata and cover:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 0.8.28
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata or covers for any of the 1 book(s).

A Crown of Swords (Failed metadata) (Failed cover)

When I try metadata:
Spoiler:

calibre, version 0.8.28
ERROR: No matches found: <p>Failed to find any books that match your search. Try making the search <b>less specific</b>. For example, use only the author's last name and a single distinctive word from the title.<p>To see the full log, click "Show Details".

Starting download
Query: title:A Crown of Swords; authors:Robert Jordan; isbn:9781857233674, goodreads:1111596
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Robert Jordan'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9781857233674', u'goodreads': u'1111596'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'A Crown of Swords'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')]
Found 0 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.48399996758
Goodreads book url: u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1111596'
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1111596'
Goodreads: u'1111596' Title: u'A Crown of Swords' Authors: None

************************************************** ******************************
The identify phase took 2.61 seconds
The longest time (2.484000) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
We have 0 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds

When I try cover:
Spoiler:

Starting cover download for: A Crown of Swords
Query: A Crown of Swords [u'Robert Jordan'] {u'isbn': u'9781857233674', u'goodreads': u'1111596'}

****************************** Goodreads Covers ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0)')]
Failed to download valid cover
Took 2.5529999733 seconds
No cached cover found, running identify
Could not find title/authors/goodreads id for u'http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1111596'
Goodreads: u'1111596' Title: u'A Crown of Swords' Authors: None
No cover found

************************************************** ******************************

Last edited by Tinithraviel; 11-28-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Tinithraviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #63
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Tinithraviel

Thanks for the detail. However it works perfectly fine for me on that book, so perhaps something local to your machine or browser settings.
Spoiler:

Starting download
Query: title:A Crown of Swords; authors:Robert Jordan; isbn:9781857233674, goodreads:1111596
Running identify query with parameters:
{u'authors': [u'Robert Jordan'], u'identifiers': {u'isbn': u'9781857233674', u'goodreads': u'1111596'}, u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'A Crown of Swords'}
Using plugins: Goodreads
The log from individual plugins is below

****************************** Goodreads ******************************
Request extra headers: [('User-agent', 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2.11) Gecko/20101012 Firefox/3.6.11')]
Found 1 results
Downloading from Goodreads took 2.71399998665

---
Title : A Crown of Swords
Author(s) : Robert Jordan
Publisher : Orbit
Tags : Fantasy, Science Fiction, Adventure
Series : Wheel of Time #7
Rating : 3.8
Published : 1996-07-04T00:00:00+00:00
Identifiers : isbn:9781857233674, goodreads:1111596
Comments : <p>Robert Jordan has created a rich and intricate tapestry of characters in his Wheel of Time series. In this seventh volume, Rand al'Thor--the Dragon Reborn--draws ever closer to the Last Battle as a stifling heat grips the world.</p>

The identify phase took 2.80 seconds
The longest time (2.714000) was taken by: Goodreads
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest publication dates from the xisbn service
We have 1 merged results, merging took: 0.00 seconds
Old 12-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #64
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I wanted to ask about paragraphs in comments (book descriptions). Would it be possible to make the plugin recognize paragraphs? Now it downloads the text into one big paragraph. It would look way better if it was in paragraphs as on goodreads page.

Also, is it possible to view ratings as a number instead of stars? 3,1 rating for a book is a low rating, but 3,9 is pretty high. Can't see that with the stars

Last edited by Noughty; 12-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 PM   #65
Thalia Helikon
Enthusiast
Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle n-T, Nook Color Tablet, Nexus 6
Question Mac OS X 10.4, using Calibre 0.7.2.8

When I downloaded Calibre for my legacy Mac G4, the notes said that the last version of Calibre that will work with my hardware is 0.7.2.8

Do you have legacy plug-ins for the social meta data?

Thanks

Thalia
Thalia Helikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia Helikon View Post
When I downloaded Calibre for my legacy Mac G4, the notes said that the last version of Calibre that will work with my hardware is 0.7.2.8

Do you have legacy plug-ins for the social meta data?

Thanks

Thalia
You may be in a bind
Plugins evolve to support source site changes, just as Calibre evolves to support new devices.
All you can do is try, understanding that you are going to have 'Device not supported' issues, News and Metadata sources unavailable because those sites evolved.

This may be one of the few cases where 'Get a PC' is better.
Calibre will run (really slow , but run) on some really old PC hardware (Linux is a great choice for weak HW).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:07 AM   #67
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Thalia - as theducks suggested you are out of luck.

If I tried really hard there is a remote possibility I could dig up an old backup, or you might find another user on here who still has it. However as the Goodreads website has changed several times since then and I have zero interest in maintaining multiple versions of this plugin it wouldn't matter anyway.

I would have thought the huge list of calibre improvements/fixes and plugins would be reason enough for sorting out a new machine
Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #68
Thalia Helikon
Enthusiast
Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.Thalia Helikon figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kindle n-T, Nook Color Tablet, Nexus 6
dear friends,
I did find a legacy version of Goodreads plug for version 7 family of Calibre. It is working OK, I did a metadata download for glorious results.

Thanks for suggestions regarding hardware and software. I am content with my aging platform. BTW, Linux is not a good fit with the Power-PC family of G4 macs. Ten-Four Fox has a special version of Firefox written for my motherboard. Can't play Flash video, but Hey! I'm getting over it. Since my Calibre database is saved on external hard-drive, I can run Calibre program on the office PC if necessary.
Thalia Helikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #69
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Tag Editor

I have the GoodReads plugin installed and set as the only plugin to download tags. I have limited it to a maximum of 5 tags on any given recovery of metadata.

It is correctly downloading the tags expected from the GoodReads site.

However, if I then invoke the Tag Editor, while I expect to see the GoodReads list of 50 or so tags to choose from, I am offered (I haven't counted them) hundreds of tags. Is this the expected behaviour?

Can I make it offer me only the GoodReads list?

Regards...

Bernard
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #70
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Bernard - what "Tag Editor" are you talking about? Do you mean in the preferences for this plugin the ability to map the tags (in which case by chance did you install dwanthny's extended list of shelf/tag mappings, which number approximately 200 rather than 60 or so that come with the plugin by default)?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #71
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Bernard additionally if you add a book that already has tags embedded those tags could be added to calibre. If you don't want those tags, delete them prior to downloading new tags from Goodreads.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #72
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Bernard - what "Tag Editor" are you talking about? Do you mean in the preferences for this plugin the ability to map the tags (in which case by chance did you install dwanthny's extended list of shelf/tag mappings, which number approximately 200 rather than 60 or so that come with the plugin by default)?
Hello kiwidude...

No, I am talking about Calibre's own Tag Editor button, the one beside the Tags: box on the Edit Metadata dialogue. I expected it to offer me a choice based upon the 60 or so which come with the Goodreads plugin.

Regards...

Bernard
Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #73
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Bernard additionally if you add a book that already has tags embedded those tags could be added to calibre. If you don't want those tags, delete them prior to downloading new tags from Goodreads.
Thanks dwanthny...

I did pick up on that in an earlier post in this thread.

Regards...

Bernard
Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #74
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeTee-Ess View Post
No, I am talking about Calibre's own Tag Editor button, the one beside the Tags: box on the Edit Metadata dialogue. I expected it to offer me a choice based upon the 60 or so which come with the Goodreads plugin.
The tag editor isn't tied to any metadata plugin. The tag editor show you the existing tags for all of the books in your library. This means you have tags that weren't placed in your library by the goodreads plugin.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #75
BeeTee-Ess
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The tag editor isn't tied to any metadata plugin. The tag editor show you the existing tags for all of the books in your library. This means you have tags that weren't placed in your library by the goodreads plugin.
Ah, OK..

Thanks again.

Regards...

Bernard

Tags
goodreads, metadata