Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #1
Birdonawire
Birdonawire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quick and dirty conversion of html to epub WITH intra-file links

Hi all,

I have just bought a Sony 300 which I already like very much for leisure reading.

Now I would also like to make use of the device at work. Me being a tax consultant, it would be very helpful for example to have the latest tax laws and guidelines at hand on the Sony. I am able to copy them from various databases which I have access to on the Internet or on DVDs. However, these texts are very long and with the Sony 300 (no search option) you don't stand a chance to find anything unless you have also copied the intra-document links from the html-Files. For example, if you click on "§ 13" in the contents section, then the reader jumps to § 13.

I have already searched the forum and found some nice hints how to do this. Unfortunately, all of these are somewhat complicated and time consuming. In the German tax world, tax laws, directives and guidelines are literally changed by the hour, so anything more than a minute to convert the text of a law to an epub file would be a waste of time, because the next version of the law would probably already stand in line. On the other hand, the result of a conversion does not have to be beautiful or even nice. Most important is that the intra-file links do work and that the text is readable.

Does anybody know a way to quick and dirty convert html files to epub and keeping the intra-file links ?

I love the way Instapaper converts websites into epub. Something alike would be great, but unfortunately Instapaper only works with publicly accessible and available websites (no login).

Regards

A.
Birdonawire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't see any reason to think that calibre shouldn't work just fine for this. It definitely preserves intra-file (and even inter-file) links when I've used it. You may need to save the pages somewhere after logging in and then convert. (Actually InstaPaper might work for that too.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 AM   #3
Birdonawire
Birdonawire began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
I don't see any reason to think that calibre shouldn't work just fine for this. It definitely preserves intra-file (and even inter-file) links when I've used it. You may need to save the pages somewhere after logging in and then convert. (Actually InstaPaper might work for that too.)
You are right, it should be easy. However, it isn't, at least in my case. First Calibre stopped converting my saved html-files at 67%. But when I last tried it suddenly reached 100%. However, only footnotes were preserved, not the intra-document links. Iguess the problem is the way that these content providers create the links in their documents. Unfortunately no solution yet, but I'll keep trying...
Birdonawire is offline   Reply With Quote