Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #1
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
PDF to ePub

I am the happy owner of an iPad, and am quite happy with it so far. After previous attempts to read (comfortably) NIST documents and other multicolumned pdfs, the iPad does this pretty nicely, but I do not like to scroll through these as if they were on long web page.

Anyone ever get a complex multi-column pdf to convert nicely to ePub?

(I wish I could just load them into iBooks)
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissyfish View Post
I am the happy owner of an iPad, and am quite happy with it so far. After previous attempts to read (comfortably) NIST documents and other multicolumned pdfs, the iPad does this pretty nicely, but I do not like to scroll through these as if they were on long web page.

Anyone ever get a complex multi-column pdf to convert nicely to ePub?

(I wish I could just load them into iBooks)

Is there a reason you don't just read them AS PDFs?
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Daddy Warpig
Enthusiast
Daddy Warpig began at the beginning.

Device: iPad & iPhone
Quote:
Yeah, ditto. I've downloaded a dozen or so PDF reading apps - GoodReader, iAnnotate, etc. - and all of them do this. It's a stunning instance of programmer groupthink:

"All PDF readers on other platforms go downward, so even though right to left is the norm on the iPad we'll ignore 18 years of progress and keep doing it like we did in 1992!"

Hey, guys. Just because it's the norm - for no good reason other than an arbitrary decision by a random Adobe employee - doesn't mean you have to keep doing it the same way.

iBooks can, Kindle can, all the comic readers (CloudReaders, et. al.) can, why can't you?

Even a setting to allow right-to-left reading would be keen. Neato page flipping animations are optional, but I wouldn't complain.
Daddy Warpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
FWIW, the developer of GoodReader noted on the App Store that he's aware of the
"unintuitive page turning" for the iPad app...expect an update soon.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
FWIW, the developer of GoodReader noted on the App Store that he's aware of the
"unintuitive page turning" for the iPad app...expect an update soon.
Unfortunately that note has been there for more than a month

FastPDF does horizontal scrolling but you need to swipe. No tapping to change pages there yet.

They'll get it right sooner or later.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
Unfortunately that note has been there for more than a month
Well sure, but the iPad has only been out for a couple months, and very few devs had access to an actual one before launch. I'm sure a lot of iPhone devs are finding the transition to the iPad more challenging than they expected, and the simulator wasn't the best way to get a feel for everything.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warpig View Post
Yeah, ditto. I've downloaded a dozen or so PDF reading apps - GoodReader, iAnnotate, etc. - and all of them do this. It's a stunning instance of programmer groupthink:

"All PDF readers on other platforms go downward, so even though right to left is the norm on the iPad we'll ignore 18 years of progress and keep doing it like we did in 1992!"
Bookman changes pages on a touch in the bottom-right, CloudReaders on a touch middle-right-edge.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
kissyfish
Connoisseur
kissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavenskissyfish is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Irex Iliad
Thanks much for the tip, I downloaded cloud reader, works like a charm. In the last 5 minutes, I installed, and transferred all my manuals to my ipad via a built in web interface one accesses through your PC.

Free and fast!

I am a happy camper now.

'There's an app for that' seems pretty accurate.
kissyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:55 AM   #9
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Talking

Quote:

I am a happy camper now.

'There's an app for that' seems pretty accurate.
It is try iTent and iBarbecue, iMcamp is good as well
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
Try Stanza. It can also change pages horizontally on PDF files.
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #11
SUNJIB
SUNJIB began at the beginning.

Device: IPAD
Exactly, M facing the same Issue. I have a .PDF file with Dimension (540 x 612).
when I convert them using Calibre became 300 pages.

Note : I tried two procedure
procedure 1:
with all default settings
procedure 2:
In page setup, Output profile section I have selected IPAD .

Please response if any body has any solution.
SUNJIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
The best solution is to leave the PDF alone and view it with a PDF reader as it was intended. Anything else isn't going to be a simple push of a button. PDF files, as you have found out, are a terrible format to convert.

My solution to PDF conversion is to use OCR software. As silly as that sounds, I get excellent results but you still need to go over the result and fix it up. At least in the end you get a editable file for future format shifts.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Get GoodReader for $1. One of the features i loved best is that you "turn the page" in a pdf like a book, not endlessly scroll.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote