Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Sjonnie
Sjonnie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Which format to choose

I am about to receive my PRS-600 and want to get it right the first time.

Which book format (pdf, rtf, etc.) is the prefered one on a PRS-600 in terms of speed?

I understood that if you have a lot of documents on your ereader it gets slow, so I thought that perhaps certain formats are better if you have a lot of documents on your ereader.

Last edited by Sjonnie; 01-10-2010 at 01:36 PM.
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, the speed refers to the "scan" of the library, which is simply related to the number of files. It gets rather slow if you have more than a few hundred. As far as choice of format, I'd go for ePub personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
The Sony's can use ePub and LRF. Have you checked out all the free ebooks on MR? In the blue bar, up on the left. The drop down menu allows you to view the format you choose.

I have the Sony 505 with ADE and Reader Library 3.1 installed.

I purchased a book at smashwords.com in LRF and ePub.

The ePub opens right away. The LRF takes a second to "format". After that they both are the same speed for page turns for me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #4
Sjonnie
Sjonnie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
thanks this is really helpfull. Guess ePub is the way forward...
Sjonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjonnie View Post
thanks this is really helpfull. Guess ePub is the way forward...
The first few books I read on my 300 were epub and I thought they were great. Then the next epub looked horrible, and the lrf looked fantastic. Now I am partial towards the lrf, but it all depends on the file itself sometimes If it is available in both formats I will get both and look at them and then decide.
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
@RonF, I have discovered the same. Most I like in epub... but then a few days ago I bought Sarah Palin's book from Kobo in epub format. It literally was a narrow stripe of text down the middle of the screen! I ran it though Calibre and converted to lrf, and all is well....... so I guess it depends on how the companies set them up.......
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Hey Bremen, just out of curiosity, how does it look if you tell calibre to reconvert the epub (i.e. epub->epub)?
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
@RonF, I have discovered the same. Most I like in epub... but then a few days ago I bought Sarah Palin's book from Kobo in epub format. It literally was a narrow stripe of text down the middle of the screen! I ran it though Calibre and converted to lrf, and all is well....... so I guess it depends on how the companies set them up.......
But you could equally well have done an "ePub to ePub" conversion with Calibre and removed the margins that way.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
Hey Bremen, just out of curiosity, how does it look if you tell calibre to reconvert the epub (i.e. epub->epub)?
Actually i did try that. I set the margins at "0" and ran it. For some odd reason it did not change a thing. I did it again, setting the margins to "0" but converted to lrf, and it was good. I normally covert everything to epub, this is the first time I had a problem with the conversion.....
Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, the speed refers to the "scan" of the library, which is simply related to the number of files. It gets rather slow if you have more than a few hundred.
It's the worst defect of the PRS-600. I have 1300 books in my SD card (580 MB used on a 4 GB). It takes more than 4 minutes to sort the content.

It's really a shame for such a price. And I won't speak about the SOny application for Macintosh. It takes also several minutes when you click on the the SD card until you see the content of it ... With Calibre, it's just instantaneous !
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #11
kronium
kronium began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Olivier View Post
It's the worst defect of the PRS-600. I have 1300 books in my SD card (580 MB used on a 4 GB). It takes more than 4 minutes to sort the content.

It's really a shame for such a price. And I won't speak about the SOny application for Macintosh. It takes also several minutes when you click on the the SD card until you see the content of it ... With Calibre, it's just instantaneous !
Hello, I'm expecting my 600 tomorrow. I know nothing about e readers. Do I even need to install the sony software, or do I just use something like Calibre?

Also, what should I use to convert word documents? Thank You!

Last edited by kronium; 01-13-2010 at 03:29 AM.
kronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 AM   #12
Bremen Cole
Wizard

If you are not going to buy books from the Sony store, than no real need to install their software. Calibre works better, and is more robust with features. The only other thing is they say you can't register your Reader with Sony, without using their software. I never installed it on my computer, and never registered.

Some say they installed it, registered, and then never used it again. So....... no need to install the Sony software unless you want to register the reader, or download books from the Sony store....

Welcome to the forum, and enjoy your 600! Be sure and check out all the free books here on Mobileread that are formatted in lrf, which is the native format for your reader. Some good stuff here, and its free.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:33 AM   #13
Pierre-Olivier
Enthusiast
Pierre-Olivier began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
I'm too new in Calibre to give you a "good" answer. I hope that someone else could give you good advise.

However, it's not really a problem to install both Calibre, and Sony Reader Library. You can use each of them but absolutely not in the same time. You MUST quit one before launching the other.

I don' know how is the application with a PC using Windows, since i'm on a Mac, but the the Mac Application is very very slooooooooowwwwwww ! It's really a shame that programmers could release such a thing ....

I don't know if Calibre is able to handle with Word Documents. But SOny application tranform them before sending to eReader.

Personally, I create some eBooks for my own purpose (Scanning, OCR, correction, and editing in pdf or rtf format). But I don't use Word, since the file I obtained when saving in RTF format is huge.
Pierre-Olivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
The solution to that is simple - don't keep 1300 books on your SD card. I have a 20,000+ eBook collection on my hard disk at home, but keep "only" a few dozen books on my reader - that's about a year's reading for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
However, it's not really a problem to install both Calibre, and Sony Reader Library. You can use each of them but absolutely not in the same time. You MUST quit one before launching the other.
No, that is incorrect. There's absolutely no problem with running EBL and Calibre simultaneously - I do so all the time. The only thing you must avoid doing is transferring books to the Reader with more than one of them in the same "session". Personally, I only ever transfer books to my Reader with EBL.