Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Defective 505

I was fortunate enough to receive a PRS-505S/C for Christmas, and I've already read two books on it. Unfortunately, I had to send it to their exchange center today, as it appeared to be defective. I was able to read books on it, but it had many problems, including:

1. Unable to shut unit off from power switch, had to use menu to shut down.
2. Bookmarks/history not retained after shutdown. Thus, when I selected "continue reading", it would return to the cover page, not the last page read.
3. Unable to delete books using menu.
4. Very short battery life, had to recharge after barely 200 or so page turns.

I could easily have lived with problems 1 and 3, but 2 and 4 were very inconvenient. So I returned it today to the Sony exchange center, and should receive the replacement within about two weeks. I already feel lost without it, even though I only used it a few days.

This is my first post on this forum, but I've been "lurking" for a month or two now. I've already downloaded a fair number of books from the MR "library" as well as other online sources. The number of free books available is staggering!

I've also paid the $100 to join NYPL based on previous posts I've read here on MR. So I will certainly have enough books to keep me busy for a long time once I receive my new reader, which can't happen soon enough!

Happy New Year, everybody!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
I'm sorry to hear that you had problems, but glad that you'll have a replacement Reader soon.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I hope you get it back quickly SteveK
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
giedre
Connoisseur
giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.giedre is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony 500,505, Kindle, 1150
I too plunked down the hundred bucks for the NY library card. I was impressed with the ebooks they had to offer. Hopefully will get mine by mid January!
giedre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
They have a great selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by giedre View Post
I too plunked down the hundred bucks for the NY library card. I was impressed with the ebooks they had to offer. Hopefully will get mine by mid January!
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert