Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Interesting information I found out about the Kindle.

If you are inside a book and the screensaver comes on and you get out of the screensaver, you go back to the book.

If you are in the home screen and the screensaver comes on and you get out of the screensaver, you go back to the home screen.

That makes it look like it remembers its last place and all it does is exit the screensaver and go back to whatever it was displaying before.

But I went into the screensaver from the search screen and it took a couple of minutes for the screensaver to exit. I played around with it for a bit and every time it took two minutes for the screensaver to exit. I went to the home screen and let the screensaver come on automatically and I exited it and it automatically went to the home screen.

So it doesn't remember its last place, it remembers its last command and re-executes it, whether it be "Go To Home Screen," "Go to book," or "Search this word." So if your last command took a long time, exiting the screensaver will take a long time as the Kindle re-executes the command (moral of the story try not to let the screensaver come on from the search result screen).

Not that it makes any difference, I just thought it was interesting
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
What's the purpose of the screensaver in an ereader device?
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 07:42 AM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
Beats me if I know, I find annoying and I want it turned off but I've asked before and it seems you cannot turn it off.

Amazon's rationale seems to be that after a period of inactivity the buttons turn off and they have the screensaver so they have the tip to press the two buttons to "wake up" the Kindle and that if they just had the buttons deactivate without the screensaver, a lot of people would return "broken" Kindles because they wouldn't realize it was just in sleep mode.
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
I don't find it inherently annoying, but I do find it annoying that the "sleep screen" kicks in so soon. Maybe I do too many tasks by taking small breaks, but it seems like the thing gets turned on every time I put the Kindle down for a second.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Huh, I don't find it a bother at all, but then, even if I'm only putting the book down for a minute or two, I automatically put it into sleep mode.

Just different ways of approaching things, I guess.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
The purpose is to lock the keyboard and let you know it has been locked.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Mom of 4
Mom of 4 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Personally I like it going to a screen saver. When I read at night, if I just "close my eyes for a moment" if it's on the screen saver when I open them again, it is time to turn off the light and go to sleep!
Mom of 4 is offline   Reply With Quote