Notices

Old 05-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
ramusthomas
small press
ramusthomas began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Bluefire display problems

Hi all,

Been using the forums as a resource for some time, but can't seem to find anything on this matter:

I've made an ePub in InDesign CC, it validates well, and looks good in iBooks as well as Gerty, but in Bluefire it all goes wrong; two things, one irritating and one major.

Major first: the ePub is displayed backwards, it starts with page one, but you'all have flip pages from right, reversed reading, arabic style? Anyone heard of anything, any solutions?

Second: the first paragraph is displayed in a somewhat smalller font. Also only in Bluefire?

Many thanks for all possible help!

// ramusthomas
ramusthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Bluefire for PC? For iOS? For Android?

Did the ePub validate okay?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
ramusthomas
small press

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Bluefire for PC? For iOS? For Android?

Did the ePub validate okay?
Bluefire for iOS. Yes, the ePub validated OK.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramusthomas View Post
Major first: the ePub is displayed backwards, it starts with page one, but you'all have flip pages from right, reversed reading, arabic style?
Is it a fixed layout epub3 book?

Quote:
Second: the first paragraph is displayed in a somewhat smalller font. Also only in Bluefire?
Does it affect the first paragraph of each chapter?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
ramusthomas
small press

It is a very simple production, a novel, reflowable. I have made a couple of these before, in more or less the exact same way and the major problem’s never shown up before.

As for the paragraph, yes, it is every first paragraph of each new chapter!
Advert
Old 05-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hi all,

Been using the forums as a resource for some time, but can't seem to find anything on this matter:

I've made an ePub in InDesign CC, it validates well, and looks good in iBooks as well as Gerty, but in Bluefire it all goes wrong; two things, one irritating and one major.

Major first: the ePub is displayed backwards, it starts with page one, but you'all have flip pages from right, reversed reading, arabic style? Anyone heard of anything, any solutions?
I've seen that when I set the reading direction to "rtl" instead of "ltr".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
As for the paragraph, yes, it is every first paragraph of each new chapter!
Did you use pseudo, descendant or adjacent selectors in the style-sheet?
If not, please post the HTML code of the first paragraph and the preceding element as well as the relevant styles.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #8
ramusthomas
small press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Is it a fixed layout epub3 book?

Does it affect the first paragraph of each chapter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I've seen that when I set the reading direction to "rtl" instead of "ltr".
I’m not sure I follow you here, "ltr" is standard right? And it’s only in Bluefire. Ibooks, Gerty, Adobe digital etc are are alright. You got that specific Bluefire problem as well?
Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
ramusthomas
small press

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Did you use pseudo, descendant or adjacent selectors in the style-sheet?
If not, please post the HTML code of the first paragraph and the preceding element as well as the relevant styles.
Oh, that’s beyond my competence, sorry, but I use Indesign CC to produce Epubs, ie. I got a IDgenerated CSS, not really a clean slate so to speak, but the "p class" is the same between first and second paragraph (they’re based on the printed versions paragraph styles) except for the indent on the second paragraph.

Here it goes, from the top:

<body id="Ondska-epub-3" xml:lang="sv-SE">
<div class="_idGenObjectStyleOverride-1">
<h1 class="Rubrik--kapitel"><a id="_idTextAnchor002"></a>Kapitel 2</h1>

<p class="Inledning">Hej!</p>

<p class="Brödtext-med-indrag">Hallå!</p>

and from the CSS:
p.Inledning {
color:#000000;
font-family:Georgia, serif;
font-size:0.833em;
font-style:normal;
font-variant:normal;
font-weight:normal;
line-height:1.45;
margin-bottom:0;
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-top:0;
orphans:1;
page-break-after:auto;
page-break-before:auto;
text-align:justify;
text-decoration:none;
text-indent:0;
text-transform:none;
widows:2;
}

p.Brödtext-med-indrag {
color:#000000;
font-family:Georgia, serif;
font-size:0.833em;
font-style:normal;
font-variant:normal;
font-weight:normal;
line-height:1.45;
margin-bottom:0;
margin-left:0;
margin-right:0;
margin-top:0;
orphans:1;
page-break-after:auto;
page-break-before:auto;
text-align:justify;
text-decoration:none;
text-indent:10px;
text-transform:none;
widows:2;
}

// ramusthomas
Old 05-28-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I’m not sure I follow you here, "ltr" is standard right? And it’s only in Bluefire. Ibooks, Gerty, Adobe digital etc are are alright. You got that specific Bluefire problem as well?
Yes, "ltr" is the default. The problem might not be Bluefire. It might be that the other readers aren't respecting the direction setting. ADE ignores it, or at least the older versions ignore it. Have a look for 'dir="rtl"' in the tags or "direction:rtl;" in the styles.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:56 AM   #11
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Interresting Case ...

The first line ist smaller than the rest:
- could it be, that the CSS for the 2nd line is ignored? has it the preferred indention? I dont like "Brödtext", try "Brottext" instead (Use names without accented Chraracters)

The first page at the end:
- is there any CSS for "idGenObjectStyleOverride" ??
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmat1 View Post
The first line ist smaller than the rest:
- could it be, that the CSS for the 2nd line is ignored? has it the preferred indention? I don't like "Brödtext", try "Brottext" instead (Use names without accented Characters)
IMHO, you're on to something. According to the W3C CSS Validation Service Brödtext-med-indrag can't be used as a rule name.

Also older ADE versions will display the following message if you open the book and select Item Info...:

Quote:
The document appears to have minor errors that might cause it to be displayed incorrectly
Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
ramusthomas
small press

Update

So I spent a few hours today trying to figure something out and decided to work things backwards; and yes, now I can open an ePub in Bluefire and read left-to-right, but I’ll have to start formatting from scratch.

I tried numerous versions, exporting to epub without doing anything in the original document (rtl), cutting and pasting css from epub files that read ltr, no (rtl), cutting and pasting the text into an indesign document from which I just two seconds ago made an ltr-epub, no (rtl) et cetera. Finally I cut & paste the manuscript into a notepad, removing all formatting, placing this in a new indesign document, and then exporting to epub without any changes, and voilà, the document looking terrible of course, but it’s reading left-to-right at least! If I get this to work now in new formatting etc I’ll be satisfied, but any takes on this matter?

As for the paragraph troubles I also noticed that the indent of 10px that’s in the CSS do not follow the epub into Bluefire, I’ll try to change the names to english, but more help will be received gratefully.

// ramusthomas
Old 05-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
As for the paragraph troubles I also noticed that the indent of 10px that’s in the CSS do not follow the epub into Bluefire, I’ll try to change the names to english, but more help will be received gratefully.
Well that's what Doitsu confirmed by using a validation-service. You shoudn't use accented (diacretic) characters within names. Some applications may support this, but others, like bluefire, do not.

Concerning rtl: I think, it would be better to make small changes to the book with th fault by using an editor like sigil and then look if the fault is gone.

"idGenObjectStyleOverride" is still suspicious, but it could be anything else as well ...
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, display problems, epub, ibooks