Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #16
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
Life is cruel at times, 5thWiggle... *nods*

Once in a while I reach out and touch my Windows 7 screen. Then I remember... it isn't a touch screen.
I have the opposite problem -- once in a while, I am helping my friend on his brand-new Win8 laptop, and try to move the mouse... and then realize he has Win8. Apparently, the makers figured we'd all be doing something UTTERLY BRAIN-DEAD like touching the screen, so they didn't need to make a touchpad that works for longer than a month or two...

Touch is a hellish nightmare.

Nothing works.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #17
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
My wife tried to pinch-zoom the timetable at the bus stop the other day.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I keep trying to make the mouse pointer move down to my paper notes on the physical desk surface .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:21 AM   #19
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
When in a rush getting ready for work in the morning, it is a foregone conclusion that I will sequentially pull one sock of a unique pair out of the laundry basket and fail to find a match until only the second socks remain.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
When in a rush getting ready for work in the morning, it is a foregone conclusion that I will sequentially pull one sock of a unique pair out of the laundry basket and fail to find a match until only the second socks remain.
I tie my socks together when they go into the laundry bin. Wish I had figured that trick out when I still had kids at home. About once a year we'd take the entire sock laundry basket and make a final attempt to match socks. All the leftovers were then sacrificed to the trash bin, I'd get new socks for everyone, and there we'd go again!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #21
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
When the kids were younger I especially hated the laundry. White socks for four people, but too different to just mix and match. My daughter wore white socks with a thin colored band around the top, my son wore plain white ankle high socks, my wife wore plain white ankle high socks (but larger than his), and I wore plain white mid calf socks.

I called that load of laundry "the dreaded whites."
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #22
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Our dryer is eating my socks... and has been for years. I think I'll tie my socks together next time.

Thanks for the advice, KindleKitten!
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #23
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
Our dryer is eating my socks... and has been for years. I think I'll tie my socks together next time.

Thanks for the advice, KindleKitten!
if you have a top loading washer, that is more than likely the culprit than the drier. I figured that out when I was in the Army. There were about 100 of us sharing 4 washers. Unlike most of the men that would have their own unit barracks and equipment we represented I think about 6 different units. We had to share the barracks and equipment in it, even though we were in rooms only with our own people. In a standard barrack, the furniture and equipment is on the "books" of that unit, usually signed for by the first Seargent. There was a great deal of confusion about who owned our washers and dryers, though they really did belong to the headquarters company. Anyway. ... our washers started dying horribly painful deaths. We didn't even have the option of a coin laundry as those were on another facility altogether and few of us had cars. The powers that be finally decided to bite the bullet and call in a repairman. I happened to be on cq (charge of quarters, not really guard, more like runner for info, take phone msgs, all sorts of random things) duty when the repairman came. I've always been fascinated with watching people work on equipment, maybe that's why I started out in tech related work. ... so the guy tries to get machine 1 to run, tub groans but won't turn. This goes on through all 4 of the washers. So he starts back at the beginning, getting all of the water out, then taking the tubs out. I'm telling ya, I could have started Victorias secrets big sister store with the things that had slid behind the tub! Socks, undies, bras, and I gotta say, some of my sisters in uniform were into some kink!

So, that's your report from the land of lost socks and other unmentionables
Old 12-23-2014, 12:46 AM   #24
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If the socks aren't too dirty, try putting them in a mesh lingerie bag for trip through the washing machine.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Christmas is the season of Christmas carols, and also the season for people who, for good reason, don't sing to sing Christmas carols. Are there any Kwanzaa earworms?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 AM   #26
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

One year my daughter and I went Hanukkah caroling. We had some girl scout friend that lived a couple blocks away and we decided they needed to be cheered up
It was pretty difficult finding appropriate songs for that!
Old 12-23-2014, 08:58 PM   #27
trichobezoar
Riding Against the Wind
trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trichobezoar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1 & Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
if you have a top loading washer, that is more than likely the culprit than the drier...

So, that's your report from the land of lost socks and other unmentionables
The dryer sits by its lonesome, eating the socks hungrily. lol It's one of the mysteries of this house... one of the many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If the socks aren't too dirty, try putting them in a mesh lingerie bag for trip through the washing machine.
They're a bit too dirty. >.>

My car had to be jump started again! Ugh... There's a short in my car. The past two winters, I've had to unscrew one of the battery terminals so the battery doesn't drain overnight. Which reminds me... I forgot to do that earlier. *going outside to unscrew terminal*

Last edited by trichobezoar; 12-23-2014 at 09:03 PM.
trichobezoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #28
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Actually probably a ground, but who's counting?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
My DVD player remote won't turn on the player when I press the power button. That has to be a first world problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
My DVD player remote won't turn on the player when I press the power button. That has to be a first world problem.
My DVD player has a lovely ring-shaped blue light around the power button to indicate that it is switched on. This light has stopped working over Christmas.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote