Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
I’m having problems again, I read what I could find about errors regarding the connection with device, some people had them and it appeared they were because off the usb drivers, I tried to update mine but couldn’t because I didn’t found the one for my motherboard. I read what AlPe said and asked him help and it appears that the solution is switch to a different version of Calibre or of the plugin (not using std lib zipfile) or ask the developer(s) of that plugin to use Calibre's zipfile instead of std lib.

I really like the KoboTouchExtended and since the new versions have more options I think going back may not be the best option. But since jgoguen is working in a way to generate KePub files without having a Kobo device attached, I will wait because then I can drag and drop the files in the glo without all the headaches I had last sunday, which I will detail above.

I usually send a batch of books to the glo so I can have plenty to reed for a couple of weeks, this Sunday was time to send a few more, so this is what happened:

I updated calibre to the last version (0.9.42) and after that I updated the KoboTouchExtended (2.1.0) trough Calibre.

I connected the glo with calibre still open, it started to update the metadata and then the error connecting with device appeared. I closed calibre and went to see in the explorer if I could see the content off the SD card and it appeared empty, the same with the internal storage.

I ejected the glo through the system not caliber, let it process and reconnected again, this time with caliber still closed, all my books showed in the SD card and the ones that were in the internal memory were there also.

I opened caliber and it updated the metadata, using the Kobo utilities I checked the database, which was ok.

I send 3 books to the glo and the error connecting with device appeared, again looking at the SD card from the explorer it appeared empty

I Closed caliber and ejected the glo through the system and let it process. The books I had send were not there

at this point I’m fuming and ready to forget caliber and the kepubs, I just want to put the books in the glo so I can read, so I reconnected the glo to the pc and just drop the same 3 books in the SD card, without using caliber,
I decide to try it again so I opened caliber again and send the books to the device and surprise surprise the same error connecting with device appeared.

I looked in the folder were the kepubs are being stored when they are created with the KoboTouchExtended just to check if the kepubs were created but not sent to the glo, in wich case I could just drag and drop them, but they were not there so I asumed they were not created

I eject the glo, close everything and go to bed to read one off the 3 epubs that I just put in the SD card, and to my surprise the glo has the 3 kepubs but not the epubs that I had dropped in the SD card, and all the metadata for those 3 books are there.

I don’t know what to think off this, if the glo and caliber can’t connect how come the kepubs that were created with the KoboTouchExtended are in it? And how is it that the metadata were updated?

At this point I really don’t care anymore why it happens, it seems it’s just my bad luck, but in case someone out there encounters a similar problem at least they will know what worked for me, and to summarize it was to just drag and drop the epubs in the glo and after that send them to the device trough caliber and the KoboTouchExtended.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #17
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
sorry wrong thread

Last edited by tempest@de; 08-23-2013 at 05:16 AM. Reason: wrong thread
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert