Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Sterney
Sterney began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Removing 3g modem in Kindle DXG

Hello Guys.

I recently bought international Kindle DXG and found one problem.
I live outside the USA and live in a small town. I have no 3g connection and it's impossible to use Kindle free internet. What is important I don't need at all.

Can I remove 3g modem and will it encrease operation time for my Kindle. I think yes because 3g connection need voltage some time even if it's disabled in Kindle menu (whispernet is off). I think it's true because every gsm module checks it's parameters and location for some period of time. If you don't believe, see logs.

I have some questions to enthusiasts who have tried installing different mods on mini PCI-e slot:

1)Will my Kindle work if I remove modem from it? What difficulties it can lead? What cables/contacts I have to disconnect on motherboard of kindle?
As we can see here wireless card number is: E727NV WN2. Is it a 3g modem or not? I didn't find imei, it looks strange.

2)What do I have to do after turning on my kindle? Do I have to edit system entries or something else. I have read in this post that you have to change lines in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs
Maybe this?

If somebody else has removed modem please write your opinion. How long device works: longer or the same.

Thanks
Sterney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I once planned to do so (and replace that modem by a Wifi card), but I never got to do it and then sold my KDX again. The Wifi card is still here on my desk :-)

However, I opened and dissected a (broken) KDX once. It is pretty obvious which part is the 3G modem, removing it should be a piece of cake. Be careful with the antenna connector to not bend it to much.

I have no idea whatsoever if it works afterwards. But I think it will. It might print some error messages to the log, I guess.

The hardest part is opening the device carefully without breaking anything. And for the KDX, it's still reasonable simple. Removing 3G modem is non-destructive, so you could re-insert it again.

As for power consumption: I guess you won't notice the difference at all compared to the soft-off state. It might power up at some times, but that's nothing compared to the time it's not powered.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
intubator
intubator began at the beginning.

Device: kdx
hello,
i bought a kdx yesterday, wireless 3g, but since i live in finland, cannot use it. planned to replace the 3g modem with a wifi one. what do you think, is it "backwards" easier? did hawhill throwe the idea away? are other wifi modems compatible with dx by the way?
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HUAWEI-EM820W...8AAOSwBLlVV2iQ

for example...

thank you
regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I once planned to do so (and replace that modem by a Wifi card), but I never got to do it and then sold my KDX again. The Wifi card is still here on my desk :-)

However, I opened and dissected a (broken) KDX once. It is pretty obvious which part is the 3G modem, removing it should be a piece of cake. Be careful with the antenna connector to not bend it to much.

I have no idea whatsoever if it works afterwards. But I think it will. It might print some error messages to the log, I guess.

The hardest part is opening the device carefully without breaking anything. And for the KDX, it's still reasonable simple. Removing 3G modem is non-destructive, so you could re-insert it again.

As for power consumption: I guess you won't notice the difference at all compared to the soft-off state. It might power up at some times, but that's nothing compared to the time it's not powered.
intubator is offline   Reply With Quote