Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it was mentioned in post #10 above.
I did miss that. But I've edited my post. Now it's correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:18 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekster View Post
It was mentioned.

I really loved Hogfather. Both the book and the movie!
I've seen the movie. I thought it was excellent. I might have to see if the library has Hogfather on DVD.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #18
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
There's an excellent book by Stephen Nissenbaum titled The Battle for Christmas, which is about how the traditions and rituals and images of the holiday evolved, from colonial times. It was serious without being stuffy, and quite fascinating. I believe it was published in the mid-1990s.
This sound really interesting!! I'm going to have to read it for sure.

As far as Hogfather goes, I don't ordinarily do fantasy but am going to make an exception here. That sounds hilarious. And the cover really attracted me.

Most everything else mentioned so far, I have already read. I do appreciate all the suggestions and some of this stuff I had forgotten about and will want to read again.

I also had no idea that Dickens wrote 5 Christmas books!! This is exciting knowledge that I will be taking advantage of asap.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Here are some more Christmas mysteries that are light and not dark:
The Christmas Train by David Baldacci
Dashing Through the Snow by Mary Higgins Clark

Another classic is The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (The Wizard of Oz author). It is a fairy-tale from 1902 about how Claus is found in the forest as a baby by Wood Nymphs who raise him to adulthood and how he comes to deliver toys to children. Google Books has a free version which includes the original illustrations.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #20
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Another classic is The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (The Wizard of Oz author). It is a fairy-tale from 1902 about how Claus is found in the forest as a baby by Wood Nymphs who raise him to adulthood and how he comes to deliver toys to children. Google Books has a free version which includes the original illustrations.
Baum also wrote A Kidnapped Santa Claus.

Here's a link to Christmas books at Project Gutenberg.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #21
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Baum also wrote A Kidnapped Santa Claus.

Here's a link to Christmas books at Project Gutenberg.
Thank you for that. It reminded me of the fact that some of those are also at librivox. I love to listen to short stories when cleaning out closets or drawers.

A Kidnapped Santa Claus is also here on MobileRead in Mobi/prc and LRF (sony format for readers before the PRS T1)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You may like Wishin' and Hopin' by Wally Lamb.
http://www.amazon.com/Wishin-and-Hop...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
I got this yesterday and am about half way through it. So far, it has nothing to do with Christmas, but it IS hilarious. Glad I got it.

In the book, it's currently Halloween so I'm sure Christmas is not far off. Now I just need to Google up a pic of Dondi!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Smile Hooray !

[QUOTE=HarryT;1806907]But why limit yourself to "A Christmas Carol"? Dickens wrote 5 "Christmas Books":...............Harry :QUOTE.

And wouldn't you know it, I've been meaning to read the last 3 for absolute years, and have never got around to it - thanks Harry, ideal for post goose and plum duff.

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Now I just need to Google up a pic of Dondi!
The comic version

or the movie version?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #25
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
"In God We Trust: All Others Pay Cash" by Jean Shepherd. It was used as the basis for the movie "A Christmas Story".
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote