Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 08:00 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
All depends on your needs. The Fire is NOT a generic Android tablet. It is limited in functionality but should make a wonderful media consumption device - books, video, music particularly if you use and want what Amazon offers.
I agree, seems like a nice complement to a 10 inch (or 9.4 ) tablet.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 PM   #17
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
There is also the Velocity Micro Cruz T408 8" 2.3 for $199.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #18
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I think if you look at the specs for the Kindle Fire and the Lenovo Ideapad, you will see that they are almost identical except for the storage card. (and, of course, Amazon's promised 'cloud' content and silk connection when we figure out what it really is).

At this point, I'm starting to lean toward the Lenovo because of the open App marketplace vs. Amazon App store.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM   #19
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I think if you look at the specs for the Kindle Fire and the Lenovo Ideapad, you will see that they are almost identical except for the storage card. (and, of course, Amazon's promised 'cloud' content and silk connection when we figure out what it really is).

At this point, I'm starting to lean toward the Lenovo because of the open App marketplace vs. Amazon App store.

cheers
I think you are right on the major components. The Lenovo has many minor items that the Fire doesn't have and these add up to be a major factor.

GPS is one of the biggest.
The A1 has a microphone. I don't think that the Fire does.
The two cameras.
USB2 OTG
Bluetooth
It comes as basically an Open system.
Android and Lenovo Markets.

I would also like to restate something.
The Jeff Bezos Amazon cloud for storage is fine to a point, but any cloud needs connectivity which for the Fire and the Lenovo means WiFi.
The Lenovo may have up to 32GB internal storage. Numbers mentioned have been 2GB(for 199USD), 8GB, 16GB (for 250USD) and 32GB for 300USD) We don't know what the offer will be on Amazon when it gets over there.
The Kindle Fire has 6GB of 8GB available for the user and then you go to the cloud.
The Lenovo can use an external memory card up to 32GB.
These cards are actually a lot cheaper than buying internal memory for the Lenovo. You can have multiple cards.
The USB2 allow you to hook up to an external drive. A little one costs say 100USD and has 1TB.

The Fire lacks many things, and some of those aren't so important, but memory is.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
With current pricing of 7 inch tablets I wouldn't recommend the Fire to someone who doesn't already own a descent capacitive screen Android tablet. If you're looking for a first time tablet purchase don't get the Fire. It seems folks without any tablet experience are disappointed with what the Fire offers. Those who have tablet experience are not surprised.

People like kennyc and myself are getting the Fire as a complement to our Android tablet. Others are attracted to the Amazon ecosystem and don't care about it not being "open". Many are getting it for their children. There's a vast market for this device.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #21
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I don't currently own a tablet, but I still understand what I'm getting. I'm getting it to stream and watch video's, play some games, and surf the web. I probably won't access my email, I have that on my phone.

I'm not getting it for an ereader, I'm keeping my k3 for that.

So for me it's media consumption all the way. I've already purchased 20gb and have up loaded my favorite movies, instructional videos, view only documents, and my collection of 2d artist pdf magazines.

I'm good to go. You know I think Amazon knows what its doing. I just might buy more.

Question:

I have a live drive account can I use the Fire to access my files and pictures I have through the web browser? I can access it with my iphone but I have a portal through the live drive app that's available through itunes.

I believe LiveDrive is kinda like dropbox.

Last edited by beckywc; 10-13-2011 at 10:31 AM.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #22
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
With current pricing of 7 inch tablets I wouldn't recommend the Fire to someone who doesn't already own a descent capacitive screen Android tablet. If you're looking for a first time tablet purchase don't get the Fire. It seems folks without any tablet experience are disappointed with what the Fire offers. Those who have tablet experience are not surprised.

People like kennyc and myself are getting the Fire as a complement to our Android tablet. Others are attracted to the Amazon ecosystem and don't care about it not being "open". Many are getting it for their children. There's a vast market for this device.
just found out that digital subscriptions on amazon aren't available internationally yet guess i'll have to wait, and even then i think it would be much more expensive
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #23
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
There is also the Velocity Micro Cruz T408 8" 2.3 for $199.
Oh that is nice!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #24
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I want something to replace my laptop. And after the mess I going thru putting my 515 ebooks Back on the Kindle 3 would Love something I can Store ALL my ebooks on & when I want to read an ebook I can! So I guessing Fire Not going to do that ugh [no sd slot]
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Here is another tablet.

AirPad 7" @ $200

When it first was announced I thought it was a good deal.

For me the screen is a big deal, though this screen is not bad the Nook/A1/Fire still is better.

However if ports are your thing this thing has them all micorSD, HTMI, miniUSB, USB HUB!, Bluetooth.

With this device you can attach your phone and charge it. Even use your phone as a 3G hot spot.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I want something to replace my laptop. And after the mess I going thru putting my 515 ebooks Back on the Kindle 3 would Love something I can Store ALL my ebooks on & when I want to read an ebook I can! So I guessing Fire Not going to do that ugh [no sd slot]
It may be hard replacing a laptop with a tablet, depending on what you use the laptop for. If it is just email, facebook, web browsing, ebooks, mp3s then a tablet might work for you, but if it's software development, spreadsheets, book writing, etc. it may not serve your needs.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #27
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I think you are right on the major components. The Lenovo has many minor items that the Fire doesn't have and these add up to be a major factor.

GPS is one of the biggest.
The A1 has a microphone. I don't think that the Fire does.
The two cameras.
USB2 OTG
Bluetooth
It comes as basically an Open system.
Android and Lenovo Markets.

The Fire lacks many things, and some of those aren't so important, but memory is.
Thanks for this info Frahse, I am now looking at the Lenovo as a serious option. I didn't realise it had so many good features.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #28
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I can't help but wonder who all these people are who are already dissapointed in the Kindle Fire, considering no one outside of a very select circle has even touched one yet. I say wait until the Fire is released and we actually know what's what.

We really don't know if it will allow access to the regular android market and apps, and I think it's premature to make claims about what it will or won't do.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
And I hate to tell you, but lenovo seems to have pulled the a1 from their site. You can still get a k1 with all those features, though...for twice the price.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #30
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
And I hate to tell you, but lenovo seems to have pulled the a1 from their site. You can still get a k1 with all those features, though...for twice the price.
Uh, no.
http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote