Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #31
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
A question for those that have kept NC stock and are booting using SD card.

I have been able to access market and obtained a couple of reader aps but they cannot access my books on the NC internal memory.

When I hook up my NC to PC it sees it but when I go to the USB transfer function and turn it on it only access the NC's memory.
How does one go about putting data on the SD card such as books and pictures and videos. Will Calibre place books on the sd card?
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #32
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
How does one go about putting data on the SD card such as books and pictures and videos.
I used MyPhoneExplorer to put media on the SD when I was running CM7 on an SD card. In fact, now that CM7 is running directly on the Nook, I still often use MyPhoneExplorer for that.
If you want to mount the SD partition on the SD card in the Windows OS then you can try this solution:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=952456

Quote:
Will Calibre place books on the sd card?
Not unless the SD card is mounted in Windows. If Windows does not see it, how could Calibre see it? Try the NookColorUMS on the XDA-Developers forum if you want Calibre to do your book transfers for you.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #33
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Deleted duplicate post occurred somehow

Last edited by goldberry; 04-29-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A question for those that have kept NC stock and are booting using SD card.

I have been able to access market and obtained a couple of reader aps but they cannot access my books on the NC internal memory.

When I hook up my NC to PC it sees it but when I go to the USB transfer function and turn it on it only access's the NC's memory.
How does one go about putting data on the SD card such as books and pictures and videos. Will Calibre place books on the sd card?

This post is identical to your post from 1/2 an hour ago??????????????
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
goldberry
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post

This post is identical to your post from 1/2 an hour ago??????????????
Thanks not sure how that happened, you can be sure my memory isn't good enough to type a word for word same post a second time.
Advert
Old 04-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #36
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
Thanks not sure how that happened, you can be sure my memory isn't good enough to type a word for word same post a second time.
If the post was more than three words I could not do that either.
I just thought that it was funny. I guess the MobilRead system is having fun with a few folks today.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #37
stevek28
stevek28 began at the beginning.

Device: nookcolor
I am Confused
Some people write as if their internal memory has not been flashed and others write as if their internal memory HAS been flashed.
If I want to run a modification without flashing my internal memory, what method should I use. BTW I would want to have access to android market and other good things as well
stevek28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #38
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek28 View Post
I am Confused
Some people write as if their internal memory has not been flashed and others write as if their internal memory HAS been flashed.
If I want to run a modification without flashing my internal memory, what method should I use. BTW I would want to have access to android market and other good things as well
I flashed the NC's internal memory with CM7 because I didn't like or want the stock software. I use the NC as a tablet rather than just a reader now.

You do have the option of running CM7 from a microSD card. If you do it that way, when you want to boot into the stock NC software, you can just remove the card. Hope this helps.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #39
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
If you want to mount the SD partition on the SD card in the Windows OS then you can try this solution:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=952456

Not unless the SD card is mounted in Windows. If Windows does not see it, how could Calibre see it? Try the NookColorUMS on the XDA-Developers forum if you want Calibre to do your book transfers for you.
I just got CM7 installed on a 4 GB card, created an image, wrote the image to a 16 GB card, used Easeus Partition to allocate the unallocated memory and it finally works! Slow as molasses...but that's likely my SD card (apparently Sandisk Class 4 is the way to go for speed).

The NookColorUMS worked great once I figured it out...you have to download it with something other than the built in browser then tell it to mount the appropriate partition.
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #40
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I can't stay connected to my wifi with the CM7. It is there for less than a minute then is disabled. I am typing from my laptop, so my wifi isn't the issue and signal strength is excellent. I re-wrote the card and did everything all over, but I still have this issue. I am using the 7.0.2 if that helps.

Edit to add: I reformatted the card with SDFormatter and did the process over again from scratch. I still can't get my wifi to stay connected. This is driving me nuts. I can't do anything if I don't have wifi.
Some people on XDA have found that wifi problems may be resolved with a higher class card, like class 10. My wifi seems to be working but it's slow! I'll probably try the famous Sandisc Class 4 cards they're all raving about.
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #41
irisclara
irisclara is on a distinguished road

Device: eee 900ha, CM7 Nook Color
You should. It works like nothing else. I had tried putting CM7 on two different cards and couldn't figure out why anyone would want to use it. It was incredibly slow and buggy and force closed practically every program I tried to use. On the Sandisk card it is as fast as stock, smoother on the internet, and plays youtube videos like a champ. I can sideload onto the card or the internal memory by activating the USB transfer on the nook. I don't use calibre though, so I can't tell if it would work.

The only strange thing is that I can only sideload onto the card when it is in the nook and the nook is plugged in to my computer. It won't work if I put the card in a card reader or the card slot on my computer.
irisclara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #42
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast
MikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
The only strange thing is that I can only sideload onto the card when it is in the nook and the nook is plugged in to my computer. It won't work if I put the card in a card reader or the card slot on my computer.
Odd, because I had exactly the opposite problem. I loaded CM7 on a class 4 sd card and it ran just fine, but I could not put books on the NC directly. I had to remove the card, place it in the sdcard reader on my computer and then transfer the books. That got tiresome quickly. To add a book I had to (1) power down the NC, (2) remove the card, always worrying that I would break the plastic connectors, (3) insert the card into the laptop and transfer the files, (4) reinsert the card in the NC again worrying about breaking the connectors and then (5) restart the NC.

But my big problem was that the icons on the rooted NC were very, very small and I could find no way to increase their size. Given the issues I ended up removing the card and using the NC as stock. Would not have been so bad if I could have increased the icon size on the device, but there did not seem to be any way ...
MikeFromMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #43
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I haven't had any trouble mounting the SD storage partition over USB, but my default method for moving files from my PC now is ES File Explorer. It's a free app that lets you log into your PC over WiFi, as well as being a full-featured file explorer (go figure!) and having the best video player I've tried so far.

I only mess with USB anymore to get access to the boot partition for updates.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #44
MikeFromMesa
Enthusiast
MikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheeseMikeFromMesa can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Color
ES File Explorer

What a clever idea. I never thought about using wifi.

Quote:
I haven't had any trouble mounting the SD storage partition over USB
Were you mounting the storage card for a normal NC? Or for a rooted NC? I ask because I never had a problem accessing the storage card for a normal NC, but when I opened a usb connection to a soft-rooted CM7 NC I could see the entries for the device and the card, but could not get access to either. When I tried it told me nothing was there (you know, something like "insert a formatted device" error).

I assumed that the device was unreachable because it was not really being used and the sd card was unreachable because it was the root partition. But I don't really know.
MikeFromMesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #45
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
A lot of people (including me at first) don't realize that CM7 doesn't automatically mount any storage when you plug in the USB. You need to go through notifications (expand the status bar upward, or hit the green-arrow-in-a-broken-circle button) to the USB screen and "Turn on USB transfer." If you're running CM7 from SD, it will then mount the system (not boot) partition as if it were internal storage and the remaining partition as "SDcard" (though technically both are on the SD card). I never bothered exploring whether you can get it to also mount the eMMC.

In ES File Manager, your default homescreen will be the storage partition of the SD, but if you click button in the upper left with the SD card icon, it will take you to the root directory where you'll find the folder "emmc."

My NC is running the latest stable CM7 from SD with dalingren's OC kernel @1.3Ghz. On the eMMC I have un-rooted stock 1.2 and ClockworkMod Recovery (that was quasi-accidental, but has come in handy). All of the details of how I got my build except the overclock are in the link in my sig.

Last edited by taosaur; 05-15-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: corrected ESFM info
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote