Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
bigbrother features on nook wifi?

are there any bigbrother "features" on the nook wifi? (for example the nook would secretly send some info to b&n when connected to a wifi spot)
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
No, there aren't. The NookDevs guys would have figured it out by now if there would have been such a feature.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #3
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
No, there aren't. The NookDevs guys would have figured it out by now if there would have been such a feature.
Yes there is. An unrooted nook will autoupdate when connected to a hotspot. Rooting the nook disables the auto updating.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
Yes there is. An unrooted nook will autoupdate when connected to a hotspot. Rooting the nook disables the auto updating.
As far as i know rooting the nook does not disable auto update. it's a separate step: http://nookdevs.com/FAQ#How_do_I_disable_B.26N_updates
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
There have been multiple reports of rooted nooks accidentally updating. So far no catastrophes, but it is definitely an issue to be aware of.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #6
cypresstwist
Nooking in Romania
cypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't littercypresstwist doesn't litter

Device: Nook WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades View Post
That's hardly a "big brother feature". You could say the same thing about every other piece of software out there that has an autoupdate feature. That doesn't mean someone's spying on you.
cypresstwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
for me it is. I don't like when a device is doing something I don't know about or I can't turn it off. OK, maybe this particular thing should not be called a "big brother" thing, but it's still not desired.
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #8
traponk
traponk began at the beginning.

Device: rooted e-ink Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by charonme View Post
for me it is. I don't like when a device is doing something I don't know about or I can't turn it off. OK, maybe this particular thing should not be called a "big brother" thing, but it's still not desired.
The 1.5 firmware supposedly updates your library (or at least your subscriptions in the Daily) every night sometime between 2am & 5am. I like that I don't have to update it myself, but that doesn't mean everyone does, I guess. It may also mean they update the software from time to time, much like your laptop would.

The best way to avoid automatic updates is to keep your wifi in Airplane Mode until you deliberately turn wifi on, then turn Airplane Mode back on when you're done with wifi. Although who knows that they do when you turn your wifi on for 10 minutes.

It's all speculation, so it's hard to say it's big brother or it's not. One thing BN hasn't ever done is sneak into your account and remove files when you're not looking, like Amazon did with the Kindle early on.
traponk is offline   Reply With Quote