Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Look at item 2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
I bought the book then ran it through ereader2html then input the html into calibre. The output of ereader2html looks fine, but when I click V in calibre it shows me a winzip folder (it imported as zip). If I open the book file in there the em dashes and apostrophes are replaced with squares.
You have to set the input encoding prior to adding the html file to calibre. Once you see little squares you know to remove the html set a different encoding and try adding the html back to calibre.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/faq.html#id15
I saw that. It seems to tell me to input the proper encoding. But that's how I started the thread. How do I know what the proper encoding is?

Or is there something I'm missing???
Kovid is pointing you to the area of the manual that tells you to set the encoding prior to adding the html to calibre.

Quote:
2. When adding HTML files to calibre, you may need to tell calibre what encoding the files are in. To do this go to Preferences->Plugins->File Type plugins and customize the HTML2Zip plugin, telling it what encoding your HTML files are in. Now when you add HTML files to calibre they will be correctly processed. HTML files from different sources often have different encodings, so you may have to change this setting repeatedly. A common encoding for many files from the web is cp1252 and I would suggest you try that first. Note that when converting HTML files, leave the input encoding setting mentioned above blank. This is because the HTML2ZIP plugin automatically converts the HTML files to a standard encoding (utf-8).

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-16-2010 at 10:14 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
2. When adding HTML files to calibre, you may need to tell calibre what encoding the files are in. To do this go to Preferences->Plugins->File Type plugins and customize the HTML2Zip plugin, telling it what encoding your HTML files are in. Now when you add HTML files to calibre they will be correctly processed. HTML files from different sources often have different encodings, so you may have to change this setting repeatedly...
The way I parse this is that when adding html I must tell Calibre what encoding it is in. Which is my original question: how do I determine what encoding to enter?

I'm getting rather frustrated. I think my command of the english language is sufficient to comprehend a FAQ...
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
By trying various encodings and seeing which one works
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
The way I parse this is that when adding html I must tell Calibre what encoding it is in. Which is my original question: how do I determine what encoding to enter?

I'm getting rather frustrated. I think my command of the english language is sufficient to comprehend a FAQ...
Kovid told you the answer that everyone uses - trial and error, but there are other methods. You could always ask the html author, check the http headers, etc. (Live http headers in FireFox - look for the Content-Type: text/html; charset= header) You could use a hex editor, look at the high bit characters, and get a table of encodings to match it up. In the end, you're probably back to try it and see what works.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Which is my original question: how do I determine what encoding to enter?
Starson17 said it earlier in the thread, most of us guess, if it doesn't work we try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Most people don't do it that way, however. They just try reasonable options until one seems to work. Here are the ones I usually try:
cp1252
cp1251
latin1
utf-8
Old 06-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Starson17 said it earlier in the thread, most of us guess, if it doesn't work we try again.
Is there a reason that there is not a Pulldown list (with verbose language tips) in that (code page) space, rather than make novices look them up.?

Maybe bias the list order with the most common near the top.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:07 PM   #23
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Is there a reason that there is not a Pulldown list (with verbose language tips) in that (code page) space, rather than make novices look them up.?

Maybe bias the list order with the most common near the top.
Good Idea!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #24
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
That would be very helpful.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote