Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #1
conscioustar
conscioustar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
How to stop Table of Contents from end of .mobi file

Hi, I have searched the forums and find plenty on the topic, but nothing on how to remove the TOC from the back of the .mobi file. I have read that Amazon is removing books (this seems to be going on for the past 5+ years) that have a TOC on the last pages.

Within Calibre's settings, I have the Table of Contents section set so that a TOC should not be generated. No boxes are checked, all fields are blank. Number of links and chapter threshold are set to 0.

When I view the files on my hard drive using Calibre, I see that the TOC at the end of not present for the .epub version. Only for the .mobi version.

Why does Calibre (version 2.38) insist on creating a TOC at the end? Or better yet, how do I get rid of it? That's really what I want to know.

Thanks in advance,
Starlene
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-02-2016 at 12:25 PM.
conscioustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
the TOC is at the end because you set (or left ) that conversion setting for Mobi

AFAIK the brouhaha was about NO (the designated one you get pressing the TOC button) TOC in the front, not a extra (or expanded) at the back
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
the TOC is at the end because you set (or left ) that conversion setting for Mobi

AFAIK the brouhaha was about NO (the designated one you get pressing the TOC button) TOC in the front, not a extra (or expanded) at the back
If I remember correctly wasn't it because if it linked to the back TOC, authors in Select were getting paid for full books read when they weren't actually read.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If I remember correctly wasn't it because if it linked to the back TOC, authors in Select were getting paid for full books read when they weren't actually read.
That is Amazons reasoning. The user (publisher) still controls WHERE.

I move my purchased (KU is not a purchase) copies TOC to the rear.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That is Amazons reasoning. The user (publisher) still controls WHERE.

I move my purchased (KU is not a purchase) copies TOC to the rear.
KU is a borrow.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
ACTUALLY, kiddles:

The Publisher's Guidelines expressly state that the TOC is to go in the front. (Sec. 5.1, HTML TOC Guidelines, p.18 of the AK Publishing Guidelines, v.2015.4.1).

Quote:
Place the HTML TOC towards the beginning of the book and not at the end of the book. This ensures that a customer paging through the book from the beginning encounters the TOC naturally. Incorrect placement of the TOC affects the accuracy of the “Last Page Read” feature. Correct placement ensures that the TOC appears in sample downloads of the book.
It's not merely aesthetics, as they note.

Lastly, if you want the TOC to appear in the right place, from a viable source file, use Kindlegen or KindlePreviewer. If you only have a Word file, use the KDP to convert it.

All of those methods will work.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:56 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Hitch
I could care less what the big A wants. I am the CUSTOMER.
I send them MONEY... They send paid for books (not a borrow).
What I do to those books is now my choice. The TOC goes at the end
The Author should have been PAID, even if I never read one screen-full.

If the OP has a conversion setting that puts it at the End. If they don't want it (for any reason), they need to change that.

It the Original source was at the end... They will need to Move or delete that copy manually
Old 10-01-2016, 10:03 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Hitch

If the OP has a conversion setting that puts it at the End. If they don't want it (for any reason), they need to change that.

It the Original source was at the end... They will need to Move or delete that copy manually
I think we are talking 2 different things.
Hitch and I were referring to authors not buyers.
If you buy a book, the author gets paid. If you borrow a book, the author gets roughly 1/2 a cent per page read.
Scammers were writing nonsense pages and having their whatever click on the TOC and get paid for entire book read. Not to mention what Hitch said.

Now what you as a customer do with the book you bought is your business.
Old 10-01-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Hitch

Duckie, my one twoo wuv:

Amazon doesn't give two s***s what you do with a book that you've bought. That's not whereof I speak. I'm talking about publishers, in the books that they upload for sale.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:48 AM   #10
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
@conscioustar...If you are converting your ebook to mobi then do the following if you want to put your toc at the start of your Kindle mobi:

*Highlight your ebook in Calibre.

*Click on the Convert books button.

*Set Output format to MOBI at top right.

*Click on MOBI Output at bottom left.

*On the MOBI Output page ensure that "Put generated Table of Contents at start of book instead of end" is ticked.

*Click the OK button to compile to MOBI.

If you have an epub, then the other way of doing this is to open your epub in Sigil create and generate the TOC and then, in the Book Browser, use drag and drop to position the TOC file wherever you want in your ebook.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
ACTUALLY, kiddles:

The Publisher's Guidelines expressly state that the TOC is to go in the front. (Sec. 5.1, HTML TOC Guidelines, p.18 of the AK Publishing Guidelines, v.2015.4.1).

It's not merely aesthetics, as they note.

Lastly, if you want the TOC to appear in the right place, from a viable source file, use Kindlegen or KindlePreviewer. If you only have a Word file, use the KDP to convert it.

All of those methods will work.

Hitch
Yep I remember hearing some authors got notices or had their books taken down without warning because they didn't put their toc where Amazon wants them put i.e. in the front. Some authors were quite put out about it too as they had put them up on promotion in some cases and then found that their money had been wasted because the books were removed during that time period. They also felt that the problem was one of Amazon's own making with how they set up the KU system so that when a person went to the toc they were suddenly at the back of the book and the system counted them as having read the whole book rather than just a page or two.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, mobi, toc