Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur
Mitzasuro doesn't litterMitzasuro doesn't litter

Device: Nook, Nook Color
Issues with the color charger

Last week I had problems with the usb cable fo my nook color. Every time I pluged it into my laptop I got Usb malfunctioned and rarely popped up on my computer. My nook classic's micro usb cord work great on my nook color to swap files around. I took it to barnes and noble and they tested out my color's cord on their laptop and it didn't work. They then asked me if i bought it from them and I told them No I ot it from Best Buy. They said that wasn't a problem and ended up giving me a new charger kit that worked since it is still under the 1 year warranty.
Mitzasuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
got a bad cord, happens.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzasuro View Post
Last week I had problems with the usb cable fo my nook color. Every time I pluged it into my laptop I got Usb malfunctioned and rarely popped up on my computer. My nook classic's micro usb cord work great on my nook color to swap files around. I took it to barnes and noble and they tested out my color's cord on their laptop and it didn't work. They then asked me if i bought it from them and I told them No I ot it from Best Buy. They said that wasn't a problem and ended up giving me a new charger kit that worked since it is still under the 1 year warranty.
wow! Now that is service with a smile.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Device: way too many =)
I'm having issues with my Nook Color USB cord too. I'm hoping it's just the cord, and not a problem with the socket of the device itself. I'm going to pick up a new charge cord today and see if it works. If it does, I'll see about exchanging just the charging kit or something. I don't want to exchange the whole Nook if I don't have to.
Ozric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

I love the B&N service, I just hated driving 63 miles in a blizzard to get there just so I can charge my nook color lol. Best Buy wanted to replace the whole unit, but they where out and told me it would be after christmas until I can get a new one in. That's when I just decided to go B&N.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:14 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
I'm having issues with my Nook Color USB cord too. I'm hoping it's just the cord, and not a problem with the socket of the device itself. I'm going to pick up a new charge cord today and see if it works. If it does, I'll see about exchanging just the charging kit or something. I don't want to exchange the whole Nook if I don't have to.
before you exchange just make sure your nook color screen is unlocked,
if it is locked the computer won't recognize it.

would hate to waste a trip and time for a simple solution.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Mitzasuro
Connoisseur

My bunk cord was changing from red to orange and wouldn't charge the cook color right.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
Ozric
Zealot
Ozric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watchOzric is clearly one to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
before you exchange just make sure your nook color screen is unlocked,
if it is locked the computer won't recognize it.

would hate to waste a trip and time for a simple solution.
Oh, I was having problems just trying to charge it from a wall socket. I just got a new charging kit (they seemed to be out of just the cable) and that seems to be working just fine. If I don't have any further problems, I'll see if I can return the charging kit that came with my Nook and get a refund--or maybe another functional charging kit, since having a spare laying around wouldn't be the end of the world.

Has anyone else noticed that the power input on the Nook is a little bit picky how the cable is inserted? I'm finding that when I plug it in, I have to pay more attention to it than I'm used to.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozric View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the power input on the Nook is a little bit picky how the cable is inserted? I'm finding that when I plug it in, I have to pay more attention to it than I'm used to.
Yes, that's how it is.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #10
Ozric
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yes, that's how it is.
Thanks, that's good to know. Since I ended up having a cable that went bad after a few uses, I was concerned that something more serious might be wrong.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM   #11
busy 1
busy 1 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
nook color usb cable/wall adapter issue

I have a usb cable/wall adapter issue with new nook color. This began as soon as I brought it home. Attempted to connect usb cable to reader and could only insert it about half way. Not wanting to force it in, I took the entire unit back to B & N the next day. They swapped the usb cable for one from their display model ( I wasn't really happy about not getting a "new" one since I had just purchased this the day before, but I figured that as long as it worked I would go with it). I then tried to charge it at home and found that the indicator light didn't go on at all. So, back to B & N I went again, and asked if the light was supposed to stay on. The sales person told me it was and checked my cord...after working with it for a while she said it was okay. The connection on the usb where it plugs into the reader actually looks like it's bent...and this is the one they gave me from their display model.
Back home again and plugged charger in. No indicator light. Tried it at several outlets. Finally figured out that if I stood there and held the adapter in the wall outlet, it would light. Seems the prongs on the adapter have to be able to be pushed and held firmly in the most upright position in the outlet. I really don't have time to stand there and hold this in place in the wall for 3 hrs. or even 1 hr.
So, I still have 2 unresolved issues after having returned to the store twice since purchasing the reader. I'm still within the return period and am giving some thought to just returning it and getting a Kindle 3.
I am surprised that B & N didn't offer to give me a new charger, which seems to me to be the easiest solution if they want to have a satisfied customer who doesn't end up canceling out the sale. What would you do???
busy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Try calling technical support and see if they'll send you a new cord. There's a reason why you initially purchased the device instead of the Kindle 3. If those reasons are still valid, then press on.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by busy 1 View Post
I have a usb cable/wall adapter issue with new nook color. This began as soon as I brought it home. Attempted to connect usb cable to reader and could only insert it about half way. Not wanting to force it in, I took the entire unit back to B & N the next day. They swapped the usb cable for one from their display model ( I wasn't really happy about not getting a "new" one since I had just purchased this the day before, but I figured that as long as it worked I would go with it). I then tried to charge it at home and found that the indicator light didn't go on at all. So, back to B & N I went again, and asked if the light was supposed to stay on. The sales person told me it was and checked my cord...after working with it for a while she said it was okay. The connection on the usb where it plugs into the reader actually looks like it's bent...and this is the one they gave me from their display model.
Back home again and plugged charger in. No indicator light. Tried it at several outlets. Finally figured out that if I stood there and held the adapter in the wall outlet, it would light. Seems the prongs on the adapter have to be able to be pushed and held firmly in the most upright position in the outlet. I really don't have time to stand there and hold this in place in the wall for 3 hrs. or even 1 hr.
So, I still have 2 unresolved issues after having returned to the store twice since purchasing the reader. I'm still within the return period and am giving some thought to just returning it and getting a Kindle 3.
I am surprised that B & N didn't offer to give me a new charger, which seems to me to be the easiest solution if they want to have a satisfied customer who doesn't end up canceling out the sale. What would you do???
Don't waste time waiting for cs(phone) to tell you to exchange it. My first NC was the same way, and if you don't have another uUSB cable they'll have one in the store(and a charger) that you can test it against. Just don't let them try to BS you into believing that that's "the way that it's supposed to be" and that it's "fine". I had this runaround with the drone at the store when I took mine back the very next day as the first day after wiggling it around a bit I managed to insert it twice, but no amount the second day would get it to go in. What I should have done was to take it back as soon as I had first gotten it home and had trouble, but just as I was about to give up I got it in and then hoped that it would "loosen" up which turned out to not be the case.

Shoddy QA, which surprises me from B&N as much as their godawful cs in my nearby store.

NC #2 has the problem where the screen is overly sensitive w/the charger plugged o.w. being completely A-OK, but I've read on the B&N forums that it might be a charger related problem, so I guess that I'm going to have to waste time on the phone getting an answer from them as I'd rather just go back to the store this time and skip the runaround if the charger is the problem and should be replaced.

(I checked NC #2 in the store at the register BEFORE leaving with it after the cs experience and having read of various problems OOB w/some NCs. You should do the same before leaving, make sure EVERYTHING is ok this time while they're watching...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 01-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
My NC is completely unusable when charging, especially the keyboard. From other posts, I thought this was normal. Are you saying that with some chargers these problems go away?
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakdaleMike View Post
My NC is completely unusable when charging, especially the keyboard. From other posts, I thought this was normal. Are you saying that with some chargers these problems go away?
That is not normal. It may be common, but it's not normal. Request a replacement charger.