Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
voyager13
voyager13 began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Can we replace the battery?

Hi Everyone

Just purchased an Iriver Story and am curious to know how to replace the battery when it shows signs of dying. Any clue?

Ta
v13
voyager13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
etoile
etoile began at the beginning.

You can just recharge its battery. connect your Story to your computer. That's all you need to do.
etoile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
inside there is a "PR-395280N" 1800mAh 2,7V lithium battery
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #4
voyager13

Thanks for your response guys, the question though still remains, how can I replace the battery? Even though the Iriver Story comes with a strong lithium battery, there will come a time when it will need to be replaced. That's the time am talking about.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
wowen
wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.wowen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager13 View Post
Thanks for your response guys, the question though still remains, how can I replace the battery? Even though the Iriver Story comes with a strong lithium battery, there will come a time when it will need to be replaced. That's the time am talking about.
I think the idea is that time will never happen in the lifetime of the product due to the immense battery life.

If the battery lasts you two weeks of use before recharge and that will be 25 charges per year, if has a recharge cycle of 300 to 500 times then you have 12 to 20 years of life. But more realistically I think the battery life will drop over time, but I would guess 5-6 years useful life is to be expected.

I suppose the manufacturers are expecting progress to be like phones, we will all be moving to newer sexier devices within 2-5 years and the battery lifetime will be irrelevant so the need to add the manufacturing cost by making it exchangeable isn't needed.

I think realistically it won't be long before color e-ink with video playback capability is here, and monochrome e-ink devices become better and cheaper to the point where they become almost disposable devices costing $30-40.

Yes, its a bit cheap of them, but realistically it shouldn't be a problem.
wowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:14 AM   #6
goodscoolwf
goodscoolwf began at the beginning.

Device: none
except to recharge its battery, what else can you think of ? more suggestion
goodscoolwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
voyager13

Makes heaps of sense. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowen View Post
I think the idea is that time will never happen in the lifetime of the product due to the immense battery life.

If the battery lasts you two weeks of use before recharge and that will be 25 charges per year, if has a recharge cycle of 300 to 500 times then you have 12 to 20 years of life. But more realistically I think the battery life will drop over time, but I would guess 5-6 years useful life is to be expected.

I suppose the manufacturers are expecting progress to be like phones, we will all be moving to newer sexier devices within 2-5 years and the battery lifetime will be irrelevant so the need to add the manufacturing cost by making it exchangeable isn't needed.

I think realistically it won't be long before color e-ink with video playback capability is here, and monochrome e-ink devices become better and cheaper to the point where they become almost disposable devices costing $30-40.

Yes, its a bit cheap of them, but realistically it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Good post, wowen, and I suspect you're correct in all aspects.

I'm a bit skittish with products that don't offer a fall-back position, no matter how reliable their manufacturers assert they are, so I would have preferred a user-friendly option.

But if you look at the back of the Story, there is a little plastic plug in each corner. I suspect if these were popped out, the case could be unscrewed and the battery replaced. I'm assuming we're talking about devices outside their warranty, of course.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:28 AM   #9
voyager13

I would be so very careful to pop those plugs out as the e-reader feels quite delicate to the touch and would fear if I wont mess up something inside in doing so.
Though I agree with MacEachaidh that there MUST be a fall-back, the manufacturers should take care of things like that.