Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-09-2022, 05:06 PM   #16
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
I like both, so having them all in one place works great for me.
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #17
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Separating sci-fi and fantasy is a fool's errand. There are just too many edge cases.
There are a lot of things that are easy to separate but I agree that there are too many edge cases to do this properly. Just leave it alone at this point.

"Properly" is defined as "the way I would do it."
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 06:34 PM   #18
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I would prefer that they were separated, but it doesn't bother me that they are grouped together.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That would be like trying to separate Action/Adventure or Crime/Mystery or Thriller/Suspense. I can separate these things in MY mind, but chances are slim that my separations would match the separations of anyone else here.
Yes. I can imagine that choosing to split these genres would give the people running the shop a new hobby: arguing with the clients about which book should go where.

There is already plenty of other overlap anyway. Horror, mystery, crime, adventure, romance and eroticism all the rest regularly get mashed up. Even fiction and non-fiction get mashed up often enough to sometimes cause issues trying to separate them on the shelf.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:28 PM   #20
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Separating sci-fi and fantasy is a fool's errand. There are just too many edge cases.
There are "edge cases" in EVERY genre, if that's a reason for not separating SF and fantasy, why bother separating any? I should add that couldn't give a fetid dingo kidney for what happens in pbook stores, I just hate having to scroll through 50 pages of "SF/Fantasy" at Kobo to find 5 actual SF stories.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #21
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I just hate having to scroll through 50 pages of "SF/Fantasy" at Kobo to find 5 actual SF stories.
That is the exact thing that prompted this thread. Especially since I noticed that Amazon grouped them together, but actually had subcategories (and further subcategories, such as 'space opera' or 'epic fantasy').
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:34 PM   #22
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
That is the exact thing that prompted this thread.
Yep, but the discussion seemed to have shifted to focusing on the difficulties of categorizing physical books in physical stores, a situation different enough to be considered separately, imo.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:43 PM   #23
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yep, but the discussion seemed to have shifted to focusing on the difficulties of categorizing physical books in physical stores, a situation different enough to be considered separately, imo.
Yah. With digital books, if there's overlap, you can just tag it as both. Physical books not so much.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #24
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
I ignore online stores that don't at least make an effort to separate the two. I'd rather not plow through page after page of results riddled with fantasy while browsing for interesting sci-fi.

Of course there are many edge cases, but even so it's vastly better than having everything lumped together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
In another thread I've argued for micro genres. I'm all for adding specific labels/tags to books when those tags can be in addition to sorting in more well known genres.
Yes, this. To anyone out there who might start an online bookshop someday: please, please, please, yes!
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:21 PM   #25
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
By the time I make it to a bookstore - online or physical - I am looking for specific titles. So "search" in online stores or a sales person in a physical store works for me. As far as how I get the specific titles, much of that comes from these forums - gleaning titles from various posts. Some are friends recommendations. Sometimes I'll look at new release lists. Other times I'll remember some series or author I started once, and go do specific searches on that to see if they have released anything new.

I can't say that I've ever just wandered into a bookstore, online or not, with zero idea of what I might want. That would take a long time to just randomly stumble into something I might be interested in. I probably have indeed done this sometime long ago, but it was so long ago that I've forgotten that I did it.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:22 PM   #26
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
[QUOTE=cpegg;4220708]I ignore online stores that don't at least make an effort to separate the two. I'd rather not plow through page after page of results riddled with fantasy while browsing for interesting sci-fi.

Worse still are the online shops that don’t distinguish between YA and adult especially with Fantasy (as YA fantasy has seen quite the rise in popularity)

I’m not saying YA is inferior to adult books but the two are clearly written for different audiences. Sure there are a few edge cases here, books like Enders Game (admittedly sci-fi not fantasy) can also be YA. But books by Sarah J. Mass are decidedly YA not adult.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:46 PM   #27
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's because physical stores are the only place that matters. If you have to scroll through fifty pages at Kobo, you'd be better off looking to the left and choosing the correct sub-category. I don't normally shop Kobo and was able to figure it out in ten seconds.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:24 PM   #28
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
That's because physical stores are the only place that matters. If you have to scroll through fifty pages at Kobo, you'd be better off looking to the left and choosing the correct sub-category. I don't normally shop Kobo and was able to figure it out in ten seconds.
You really need to tell me where to look again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-10 00.24.20 www.kobo.com ed48b19ee9d4.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	193742  
Old 05-09-2022, 11:26 PM   #29
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I do actually know how how to search subcategories, despite your apparent assumption that I do not. When I select "Science Fiction" from the sub-category list at Kobo, these two are both on the first page of results:
Quote:
The Eternal Machine
A woman with the strength to rebel.A shapeshifter who wears the souls of the dead.Together, they face a lethal enemy.Em helped create it. Now she must craft its defeat.In a city owned by industrialists, Em sells her magic to make ends meet. The extraction procedure is brutal and potentially deadly. Desperate for change, she joins an underground resistance movement to weaponize her magic and stop ... Mages too, practising heart magic and skin magic, along with shapeshifters, demons and automata

A Pilgrimage of Swords

ENTER THE EXECRATION,WHERE THE DAMNED AND THE DESPERATE COME TO PRAY TO THE MAD GOD…It is two hundred years since the deity known as the Absolved went mad and destroyed the Kingdom of Alnachim, transforming it into the Execration, a blasted wasteland filled with nameless terrors. For decades, desperate souls have made pilgrimage to the centre of this cursed land to seek the Mad God’s favor, their .
Neither is SF to me, despite labelled as such. I did not go past the first page since my point was proved thereon. To find SF even in the subcategory so labelled, one still has to to scroll past Fantasy books. Kobo's labelling is awful - anywhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the Regency Romances and mysteries I buy there are also labelled "nonfiction", which is as wrong as calling a book all about mages, demon and shapeshifters "SF".
Old 05-09-2022, 11:34 PM   #30
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I guess I was thinking physical store constraints for two reasons:

1) only in a physical store do you have to choose just one category to put the book in (I suppose they could put half the stock in each category), in the online system plenty of books are put in both (which doesn't actually help much with the problem, see next)

2) only in a physical store is book categorisation (actual shelf placement) up to the book seller. In online stores categories are generally provided by the publisher, so the fact that you end up with YA stuff appearing under romance, sci-fi, fantasy, and George Orwell and Émile Zola appearing under YA is (as far as I know) not Kobo's fault.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote