View Poll Results: Your preferred style of eReader
Square (Forma, Oasis, etc) 33 25.58%
Oblong (Clara, Nook, Pocketbook, etc) 67 51.94%
Don't care 30 23.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-15-2022, 10:46 AM   #16
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Even though I've never used one of the new asymmetric design readers, I chose to stick with the "oblong" shape when I bought my Clara because I wanted something that could slip into my rear jean pocket for a minute when I get to the front of the line I'm standing in when reading and need to place my order or pay, so I voted oblong.

It's not a vote against buttons, as I'd love to have the buttons from my Kindle 3 back, on a device like the Clara.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:56 AM   #17
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I voted oblong, I have used square readers exclusively for the past three years, but I recently revived an old Paperwhite 4 of my husband’s (I bought him the PW 5 for Christmas, lucky him!) and I have been really enjoying the compact size and symmetrical form. Plus I was actually able to put it in my back pocket, something I had never previously tried to do. I can hold it above me when reading in bed and it just feels right, instead of feeling something is going to topple. I often read the Oasis in landscape mode to get the symmetry, but then I make the margins wider as otherwise the lines are too long for me to scan easily. So I probably end up with the same number of words on screen.
I use Charis Modified Larger to compensate for the slightly washed out font on the PW4 and it is the perfect reader for me. I'm now contemplating selling my Oasis 3, even though the display is noticeably sharper, and it has the amber light.
I find myself wishing that Amazon would make a new 6” reader in a neater body, with the amber light, plus a glass screen.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2022, 07:01 AM   #18
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I’ve not tried one, but I’ve not felt tempted by the square readers. Up until recently I was doing most of my reading on a phone because it’s the most comfortable one-handed in my tiny hands, but the iPhone 13’s square edges are not as comfortable to hold as my XR was.

I’ve gone back to a Sony PRS-350 for working on my older ePub collection, and love it’s small form factor. That Chinese Android phone shaped device intrigues me but not enough to mess with. I hope someone else pursues that form factor.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:13 AM   #19
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
I was 100% convinced would hate the Oasis shape. it was like coming home the first time I used it. I love it.
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 02:32 PM   #20
Bembo
Enthusiast
Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bembo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would really like an affordable eink in 9:10 format (could display a full standard paperback 'page' , just as the print version did.)
My standard view (font, line spacing) is already the same except it is missing the last bunch of lines.
What settings / sizes do you use to replicate the paperback sizing?
Bembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bembo View Post
What settings / sizes do you use to replicate the paperback sizing?
(base) font 1.2em, standard line spacing:1.2, 4pt body margin (no wide blank areas allowed except for BQ. My bezel takes over that function. Screen is for CONTENT, not gaps)

600x800 screen. I held the printed area of a paperback side by side.
it matched line by line till I ran out of lines
If you have a different resolution, you can play with it.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:34 AM   #22
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Oblong. Because if a pdf isn't readable in the usual orientation, being able to rotate it and read the top half, and then the bottom half, of each age can be handy.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:38 AM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
Oblong. Because if a pdf isn't readable in the usual orientation, being able to rotate it and read the top half, and then the bottom half, of each age can be handy.
Huh?? My Forma and Sage both have a near square body shape but can be read in either portrait or landscape -- the screens are the same 3x4 aspect ratio that eInk seems rather fond of.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 06:40 PM   #24
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I like the shape of Nooks and also, critically, the large bezels that are easy to grip and hold with lots of room for your hands & fingers while staying well clear of the screen.

My very old Simple Touch (before there was even a backlight option) might be my all time favorite tablet device "in hand"
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 02:49 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
I like the shape of Nooks and also, critically, the large bezels that are easy to grip and hold with lots of room for your hands & fingers while staying well clear of the screen.

My very old Simple Touch (before there was even a backlight option) might be my all time favorite tablet device "in hand"
My Nook Simple Touch (with Glowlight) is my favorite reader. If I didn't bust the screen on my first one, I likely never would have moved on.

I have since gotten a replacement and it's the reader I use the most. I wish I could take it and drop a modern screen, waterproofing and orange lighting into it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:50 AM   #26
Ashjuk
Fanatic
Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ashjuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony PRS 600/650
Oblong definitely.

The vast majority of paper books fall into that category, so an oblong reader seems to be the logical choice for replicating that.
Ashjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:36 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashjuk View Post
Oblong definitely.

The vast majority of paper books fall into that category, so an oblong reader seems to be the logical choice for replicating that.
I'd love to see a rounded type of oblong Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 08:30 PM   #28
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'd love to see a rounded type of oblong Reader.
https://www.pocketbook-int.com/ge/pr...tbook-360-plus

And it is its own case.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:48 AM   #29
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I had to vote "don't care" since dodecagonal was not offered as option.
Corners are overrated! Bring on a spherical ereader.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:51 PM   #30
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I thought I knew what "oblong" meant before reading this thread, but turns out I didn't.

It appears that Oasis and Forma readers are also oblong, just less oblongated than the others.

Last edited by ApK; 05-17-2022 at 01:37 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote