Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
robaire
robaire began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Connecting an external keyboard to Kobo Touch/Aura

Is anyone aware of a method of connecting an external keyboard to a Kobo eInk reader? I know this can be easily done for Android tablets with backlit screens using either usb, wireless or BlueTooth connection but why not eInk based eReaders? I find eInk screens very easy to read (partly as they are not illuminated out of necessity) but the virtual/touch-screen keyboards available are almost unusable for typing text. NB: I have heard of usbnet but know little of it's application in connecting to peripheral devices or if it can be used in this way.
robaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
There's currently no way of connecting an external keyboard to any of the e-ink Kobo devices.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you will find the issue is that Kobo does NOT implement USB HOST mode in the eInk devices. Yes I believe some have made a H/W and kernel modification to allow this, but ....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I remember seeing where some in the soaring community had hacked Kobo devices by adding a serial to Bluetooth adapter. Perhaps such a mod would allow the use of a keyboard. Then you would still need to add the firmware support for an external BT keyboard.

Google; "kobo mod Bluetooth"
http://code.google.com/p/kobo-hacks/...uetoothConsole

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 11-14-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:13 AM   #5
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Just out of curiosity ; how often do you have to type so much text that you need a keyboard ?
I only use the touch keyboard for entering a URL or book/author when searching. Some people make annotations, I guess, but where would you store all the text that you plan to type ? Are there notepads/wordprocessors for e-readers ?
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
robaire

There are some apps that can be installed on the Kobo including a WP app via rooting the device. I know this has been done with the Nook Touch with keyboard connectivity. Eink screen are easier to read for many and do not light up or glare like a tablet or laptop screen. Most prefer to read text on an eink screen
Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robaire View Post
There are some apps that can be installed on the Kobo including a WP app via rooting the device. I know this has been done with the Nook Touch with keyboard connectivity. Eink screen are easier to read for many and do not light up or glare like a tablet or laptop screen. Most prefer to read text on an eink screen
Other apps?????
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
robaire

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201632
Old 11-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #9
lohtse
Groupie
lohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciselohtse juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robaire View Post
thought you meant OTHER apps besides launcher etc..
lohtse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #10
gloriousglib
gloriousglib began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Anyone have luck connecting an external keyboard on an Android-hacked Kobo?
gloriousglib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I haven't heard of anyone connecting an external keyboard to the Kobo under Android. On Linux, which is what the Kobos ship with, the hack exists to use an external keyboard, but it has yet to evolve into something user friendly.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM   #12
iBurger2
iBurger2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd g

#######################
!! Kick from 2014 -> to 2017 !!
#######################

I would like to connect my bluetooth Keyboard, to koreader, so i can use the wireless keyboard to click the next page. I am also thinking of getting an 'night reading' holder, or an armstand, which allows you to hold the reader.

Does anyone know if it is possible to use a bluetooth keyboard in 2017 with the Kobo?

iBurger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:02 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The first challenge is that only the very first Kobo eReader had Bluetooth hardware.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aura, external keyboard, kobo touch, mini