Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
needleinthehay
needleinthehay began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Organizing books not in collections (Paperwhite)

I've just upgraded from a Kindle 3 (Kindle Keyboard) to the new Paperwhite, and I'm confused about how collections now work (although this may have changed in Touch, not sure since I don't have one). On my Kindle 3, my homescreen looked something like:

[Collection 1]
[Collection 2]
Book #1 (not in any collection)
Book #2 (not in any collection)

Once I finish reading a book, I file it into a collection and it's off my main list view, so all the books which are on my homescreen and not in collections are books I haven't read. I've successfully ported all my books over from the old Kindle to the new Paperwhite, but all I see on the homescreen is:

[Collection 1]
[Collection 2]

I can only see Books #1 & 2 if I sort by author/title or if I search for the item. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or any way to revert to the previous collection behavior? Thanks!
needleinthehay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

On my PW I'm using List View and sorting by Collections. I see the list of Collections followed by books not in any Collection.
Advert
Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by needleinthehay View Post
I can only see Books #1 & 2 if I sort by author/title or if I search for the item. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong, or any way to revert to the previous collection behavior? Thanks!
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. It's the way that the home screen is designed to work - and for once, I have to agree that it works correctly.

If you sort by collections, you want to see collections, not books. So any book which already is in a collection will not show up again outside of that collection - after all, you wanted to see collections, not books

Think about it: suppose that you have 1000 books sorted in 50 collections. You want to see the 50 collections on the home screen, not the 1000 books. That's the whole point of collections

And, as you already said, you can still list all the books if you sort by author or title - or search for it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
needleinthehay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Nope, you're not doing anything wrong. It's the way that the home screen is designed to work - and for once, I have to agree that it works correctly.

If you sort by collections, you want to see collections, not books. So any book which already is in a collection will not show up again outside of that collection - after all, you wanted to see collections, not books

Think about it: suppose that you have 1000 books sorted in 50 collections. You want to see the 50 collections on the home screen, not the 1000 books. That's the whole point of collections

And, as you already said, you can still list all the books if you sort by author or title - or search for it.
Hmm, my problem isn't that books in collections don't show on the main page, it's that books not in collections don't show up in collections (which makes sense, because they aren't in them), but they also don't show up on the main page (which seems like it should be the case based on my previous Kindle and what jswinden said). I know for a fact that I have around 10 books which I haven't read yet and aren't in any collections, but when I look at my main page, I don't see anything except the collection titles.

For instance, I just sideloaded a copy of Robinson Crusoe which isn't in any of my collections and it doesn't show up below the list of collections. I usually look at my Kindle in list & collections view, so it's rather annoying to sort everything by name just to find new books ...
Old 10-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just a thought, not sure it will make a difference though. Do you have My Items (menu right below the shopping cart icon) set to All Items? Sideloaded books on the Fire are treated as docs rather than books. I don't know if the PW does that are not and I don't have any sideloaded books on mine to test it out.
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by needleinthehay View Post
Hmm, my problem isn't that books in collections don't show on the main page, it's that books not in collections don't show up in collections (which makes sense, because they aren't in them), but they also don't show up on the main page (which seems like it should be the case based on my previous Kindle and what jswinden said). I know for a fact that I have around 10 books which I haven't read yet and aren't in any collections, but when I look at my main page, I don't see anything except the collection titles.

For instance, I just sideloaded a copy of Robinson Crusoe which isn't in any of my collections and it doesn't show up below the list of collections. I usually look at my Kindle in list & collections view, so it's rather annoying to sort everything by name just to find new books ...
Ah... ok, so I misunderstood you, sorry.

I don't have a PW yet (only a Kindle Touch, but firmware-wise the PW is just a new Kindle Touch (Touch=5.1.2, PW=5.2.0)). As jswinden said, if sorting by collections, any books NOT in collections are also displayed on the home screen.

If that's not the case for you, this is indeed erratic behavior - books which aren't filed into collections yet should appear on the home screen. But try jswinden's last suggestion, too.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
needleinthehay

Just following up in case anybody has similar problems--I spoke with Amazon technical support this afternoon, and they think I'm seeing a firmware bug of some kind. They're going to follow up with the programmers and contact me in a week, so hopefully there'll be a resolution of some kind Thanks for the comments, ixtab and jswinden!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
jbharman45
jbharman45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505, 700, 900, Kindle 2/3, Nook, NookColor
On the PW Kindle, all book not in a collection show up in a list after the whole list of collections. The only difference is that for some reason collections always show up in alphabetical order, rather than in last opened order, as it does in the Kindle Keyboard. Not sure it I am missing some sort setting that would make it work as it did before.
jbharman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbharman45 View Post
On the PW Kindle, all book not in a collection show up in a list after the whole list of collections. The only difference is that for some reason collections always show up in alphabetical order, rather than in last opened order, as it does in the Kindle Keyboard. Not sure it I am missing some sort setting that would make it work as it did before.
They might have changed the sort order for Collections. They also seemed to have changed how the sort works as far as which characters sort first. Once upon a time we could force the sort to place a Collection at the top of he page when sorting alphabetically by placing a period in front of it. For example, .Zzzzzzz would appear before Currently Reading when sorted alphabetically. That trick no longer works. Hope to find another trick that will.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@jswinden: Err, according the the tests meme did on the K3, and I did on the Touch for the Kindle Collections plugin, a leading dot was always sorted more or less randomly.

Code:
# Kindle ignores these characters and sorts them randomly (unless name is only invisible characters:!
SORT_INVISIBLE = '-?/]#.\'\\*})&:@%;"!,'  # means the visible are " _`^~'([{$+<=>|" + 0-9, a-z
# And on the Touch...  Didn't care to test the 1 char invisible stuff, so the order might not be completely accurate...
TOUCH_SORT_INVISIBLE = ' #[:?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'

# Sort order for all chars (invisible needed in case the collection is 1 char long)
SORT_CHARACTERS = '- _,;:!?/.`^~\'"()[]{}@$*&#%+<=>|0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
# And on the Touch... (Note that you shouldn't be able to put a leading/trailing whitespace in a collection name, be it via the default UI or Collections Manager, that's why I put it in the invisible list on the Touch).
TOUCH_SORT_CHARACTERS = '_-`^§©®+<=>¬|~¢$£¥€0123456789 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ#[:·?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'
FWIW, I'm using ~ on the K3 for my 'Currently Reading' collection (=> '~Reading~'), and - the Touch (=> '-Reading-'), and it works pretty well.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-06-2012 at 05:23 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@jswinden: Err, according the the tests meme did on the K3, and I did on the Touch for the Kindle Collections plugin, a leading dot was always sorted more or less randomly.

Code:
# Kindle ignores these characters and sorts them randomly (unless name is only invisible characters:!
SORT_INVISIBLE = '-?/]#.\'\\*})&:@%;"!,'  # means the visible are " _`^~'([{$+<=>|" + 0-9, a-z
# And on the Touch...  Didn't care to test the 1 char invisible stuff, so the order might not be completely accurate...
TOUCH_SORT_INVISIBLE = ' #[:?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'

# Sort order for all chars (invisible needed in case the collection is 1 char long)
SORT_CHARACTERS = '- _,;:!?/.`^~\'"()[]{}@$*&#%+<=>|0123456789abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ'
# And on the Touch... (Note that you shouldn't be able to put a leading/trailing whitespace in a collection name, be it via the default UI or Collections Manager, that's why I put it in the invisible list on the Touch).
TOUCH_SORT_CHARACTERS = '_-`^§©®+<=>¬|~¢$£¥€0123456789 abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ#[:·?)\\"{.!/%…;&]},*\'(@'
FWIW, I'm using ~ on the K3 for my 'Currently Reading' collection (=> '~Reading~'), and - the Touch (=> '-Reading-'), and it works pretty well.
Well it worked on some reader I had way back when. So I continued to use it and never noticed it failing. Regardless, the scheme I'm using now to ensure top of the alphabetic sort list is simply 1. [collection name] as in 1. Currently Reading. Clunky but it works.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-06-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jswinden: Ah, that explains it .

As you can see, Amazon likes to change the sort order on a whim... . But I'm pretty sure those lists are accurate (at least on a K2/3/4/5, can't say about the PaperWhite yet), so if you or anyone else want to switch to something else... .
Old 10-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

The only Collection I always want on the top of the list is my Currently Reading collection, so I guess I can live with using a "1." as the first characters. The others can sort where they may, I'll find them eventually. But I want my current books up front and close to hand so to speak.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I had -currently reading collection. On the touch it was always the first collection on the list. On the KPW it sorted by the "c" and the "-" was ignored. I changed it to "AAA-Currently reading" and all is good. Weird but good.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Stingo: Awesome, I'll have to re-check the order once again. w00t. >_<".

Thanks for the confirmation .