Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you contacted Amazon and asked their advice, as I suggested previously?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:42 AM   #17
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I have 216 items in DOCS, so I'm far away from the limit. I'd just use Calibre if it becomes an issue. The docs are already there anyway.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #18
montechristos
Enthusiast
montechristos began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note 2 (from Kindle Voyage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you contacted Amazon and asked their advice, as I suggested previously?
No, not yet. I will.
(even though my hopes for a useful reply are quite low)
montechristos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #19
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Does anyone remember when they changed the way docs were stored in the account? I looked into my a count and all docs start at 2011. But I know that I have send many before that via the email option. I can't recall when the send to kindle add on thingie came about, but I used to use the email address back in the day. My docs should go back for as long as I had kindles, 2008.

As it shows now since 2011, I am not above that threshold yet mentioned in the OP. I don't use calibre for those. Its mostly recipes and things like that and some books I bought elsewhere. The kindle cloud is much more easy accessible to me than calibre. Its always there, while calibre is on a computer I'd have to start up first and all that. I only go into it every 2 months or so to backup my purchases from amazon, that is about it. I don't use it to send stuff to my kindles either. So I'll have to figure out something if that is the max number. If that happens, I'll contact amazon. The rate I am going I should be there within the next 1-2 years.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:52 AM   #20
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by montechristos View Post
No, not yet. I will.
(even though my hopes for a useful reply are quite low)
Clearly these documents of yours don't have DRM, and 1199 seems an almost arbitrary number, so perhaps it is size of storage rather than number of files.

Certainly many of us have a lot more ebooks on our Kindles than that, but most are probably Kindle ebooks and thus not really stored in space allotted to us, but in generic server housing, because many have the same ebook and it would be waste to store that same ebook many times (thousands, possibly millions in some cases) ... that would indeed be a waste of storage.

When it comes to personal documents though, they don't get that choice, and each needs to be stored.

However, because they are yours, you can use whatever cloud service you wish (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc). You can even tee things up with calibre backups, though I believe the backups need to be zipped to overcome some naming issues, with one or more cloud services. Combining both though would be the simplest way to kind of emulate the Kindle Storage you have been doing.

P.S. If it were number based, then try and combine some documents, and see if that helps.

Last edited by Timboli; 03-14-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
Inquisitive_Ram
Inquisitive_Ram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I had this question today as I have started sending free ebooks I found off Project Gutenberg to my kindle via the email function. I contacted Amazon using their chat function and they told me there was no limit to the number of documents I can store in the Kindle library. I currently have around 30 documents (i.e. ebooks I have emailed) and 120 books I have bought from Amazon in my Kindle library so I think I'll be OK for a while if others have had up to a 1000 docs stored

I find it amazing when I hear of people with 1000s of books (I realise that the OP was talking about docs they'd created which is different). I have browsed Project Gutenberg and found around 30-50 books on there I want to read. Are those with large collections very avid readers who get through them all? Or do people just like adding any ebooks they find on the offchance they may read them one day?

I want to stress I am not criticising those who do this. Just quite intrigued!
Inquisitive_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive_Ram View Post

I find it amazing when I hear of people with 1000s of books (I realise that the OP was talking about docs they'd created which is different). I have browsed Project Gutenberg and found around 30-50 books on there I want to read. Are those with large collections very avid readers who get through them all? Or do people just like adding any ebooks they find on the offchance they may read them one day?

I want to stress I am not criticising those who do this. Just quite intrigued!
I have several thousand ebooks in my library, downloaded/purchased from many different places. Certainly I have no hope of ever reading them all, I'm not a particularly fast reader. But I don't just add any ebooks to my library. Only those I'm actually interested in and might potentially read one day.

The majority of my ebooks are from Amazon, Kobo, Google Play and Smashwords. Many are from other sources, including Gutenberg.

I don't use the Amazon cloud. All my ebooks reside in my Calibre library.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #23
Inquisitive_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I have several thousand ebooks in my library, downloaded/purchased from many different places. Certainly I have no hope of ever reading them all, I'm not a particularly fast reader. But I don't just add any ebooks to my library. Only those I'm actually interested in and might potentially read one day.

The majority of my ebooks are from Amazon, Kobo, Google Play and Smashwords. Many are from other sources, including Gutenberg.

I don't use the Amazon cloud. All my ebooks reside in my Calibre library.
My only e-reader is a Kindle and so, for me, it makes sense for me to use the Kindle Cloud Library as my main storage option as most of my books are there already. I use Goodreads too and use that as a way of recording my star ratings / reviews etc and have mirrored my shelves and collections between the Amazon Library and Goodreads (which took a little while to begin with but is easy to maintain now)

I do use Calibre to store the books I have downloaded from Project Gutenberg. Not really sure why as, once they are in the cloud, I don't really need a copy on my pc. I do like Calibre but I guess if you are predominantly an Amazon Kindle user the books are already stored in the Cloud
Old 12-21-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My only e-reader is a Kindle and so, for me, it makes sense for me to use the Kindle Cloud Library as my main storage option as most of my books are there already.
I started use Calibre for managing my library back when I had only Kindles too. With 100-200 books there was no need for much managing, but once my library reached 500 and more, I had to have a way to organize them. The organizing and managing options of the Kindle Cloud are, to put it mildly, nonexistent. And Amazon won't always notify you that you've already bought a book, so there is a possibility of duplicate purchases. Therefore I moved all the way to Calibre. I already had the backups of all my ebooks there anyway, so it was simple.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #25
Inquisitive_Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The organizing and managing options of the Kindle Cloud are, to put it mildly, nonexistent.
Agree completely. That's why I ended up using Goodreads to mirror my library.

Do you use Goodreads and Calibre or just Calibre?
Old 12-21-2020, 11:26 AM   #26
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
No, the Amazon Cloud or any other cloud is simply a trap, a marketing convenience.
Goodreads exists to feed Amazon since they bought it. So I don't update it with what I read now.

I only use temporary Cloud documents, for real time collaboration. Afterwords they are exported/downloaded.

Calibre and also SEPARATE backups.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Agree completely. That's why I ended up using Goodreads to mirror my library.

Do you use Goodreads and Calibre or just Calibre?
No, I don't use Goodreads. I mean, I use it to search for things sometimes, like series order, but not for my personal books.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #28
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
...once they are in the cloud, I don't really need a copy on my pc...
Thinking like that could be your downfall some day.

"Free storage/features" are sometimes forced to "paid storage/features" as time goes on. Research PhotoBucket online photo storage. Research Wink smart home hub. Research Barnes & Noble ebooks. Research Canary video cameras.

Sometimes the storage company just plain goes out of business and you lose access.

Depending on free cloud storage is as Elton John would say, "Like a candle in the wind". Depending on paid cloud storage is slightly better, about "Like a BIC butane lighter in the wind".

If it's important to you, don't hand it to someone else for safekeeping. You can hand it to them for convenience, but safekeeping is your job and your job alone.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Thinking like that could be your downfall some day.

"Free storage/features" are sometimes forced to "paid storage/features" as time goes on. Research PhotoBucket online photo storage. Research Wink smart home hub. Research Barnes & Noble ebooks. Research Canary video cameras.

Sometimes the storage company just plain goes out of business and you lose access.

Depending on free cloud storage is as Elton John would say, "Like a candle in the wind". Depending on paid cloud storage is slightly better, about "Like a BIC butane lighter in the wind".

If it's important to you, don't hand it to someone else for safekeeping. You can hand it to them for convenience, but safekeeping is your job and your job alone.
Yeah. I have several backups of my ebook library. On 4 different laptops, on 3 external hard drives and, for an off-site copy, in Dropbox.

Of course, if you're the type who only reads once and deletes, you won't need a backup. But if you want to hang onto your ebooks, never trust any one company to do it for you.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:49 AM   #30
Inquisitive_Ram

I get the point; although even were Amazon to go bust (which right now seems unfathomable but things can change) or decide to just cancel its entire ebook business (ditto), I can't believe someone wouldn't buy the Amazon Library and provide continuity of service as it is so widespread. All that said, I do get what you are saying and I will look into doing local backups. And I do really like the functionality within Calibre.

The response above about Goodreads interested me. I want to tread carefully here because I understand the purchase of Goodreads by Amazon was very contentious at the time. If anything, I'm rather surprised by the lack of integration between the two. I get that there are links to buy books off Amazon there (although not exclusively Amazon) and I'm sure Amazon mine the data aggressively to market things to me (albeit I turn off all email adverts from Amazon). And for some people that's enough to avoid it. But I actually find Goodreads surprisingly unpolished and actually find it a bit fiddly and slow and I'm surprised AMazon haven't overhauled it. It does what I need it to (catalogue my books, enable me to have discussions with like-minded people, share (with my Dad) and store reviews of books in an easy way) but it feels a bit like an orphan of Amazon. The community on there is good though and I find very helpful. (I've only just joined here and I am sure this community equally helpful!!!)

Tags
document, limit, voyage