Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #1
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
Linux BenQ S6 as ereader

I love gadgets and am not a total NOOB regarding rooting and/or updating my devices, so when I saw the BenQ S6 with Linux operating system offered for sale for just $59 on a daily deals site, I decided to buy one. I have not worked with Linux, but assumed that I would be able to find information for loading programs to it via a Google search. I have not been very successful with this since the BenQ apparently doesn't have the standard Linux system. THe BenQ S6 arrived with FB reader on it, so I am able to load books to that reader, but reading in the app that was preinstalled is cumbersome because the page forward buttons don't work so I have to use the side slider and slide down the page oftentimes sliding too far and skipping pages. When I went to the FB website to see about updating the app, I just got confused. Has anyone here successfully installed any other ereader programs on this device? If so, would you please walk me through it?
Thanks
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I have one on the way. You should be able to convert any ebooks to .txt or .doc and read them in office if nothing else.

I'm guessing you could just try some of the different linux readers and try and find one that works.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

I look forward to your impressions of it. I think that it is a cool little gadget, but I am not realizing its full potential. Please keep me posted as to what programs you use on yours. Often I convert books to FB2 so that I can read them on it, but I usually just pick up a different device to read since the FB2 reader that is installed does not seem to have as many functions as it does on other devices.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Will let you know. I ordered it before I did my homework. I thought I could dump xp onto it but in googling found that isn't going to be as easy as I thought - in fact I think it is over my head from what I read.

Will see what the future holds in a few days :-)
Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
Will let you know. I ordered it before I did my homework. I thought I could dump xp onto it but in googling found that isn't going to be as easy as I thought - in fact I think it is over my head from what I read.

Will see what the future holds in a few days :-)
I'm assuming you have received your BenqS6 now. What do you think? Have you made any modifications to it? Are you using it? If so, what are you using it to do?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict

Have had it a couple weeks now and it is stored in the garage :-) Get it out and mess with it now and then.

It can run xp (I've read) but it only has 2 gig memory, not the 8 gig of the xp model so it is not going to have much room for extras with xp. I haven't really tried very hard. I had a bootable xp on an ssid I'm not using so copied all the files over and it tries to boot but stops early. As near as I can tell from reading it needs a new bios that works with xp. Suspect that might work.

It has an office suite on it and very little else. You can do the basics of email, contacts, browser etc. but not much else. Forgot to mention music and video.

All in all an android tablet would be more fruitful.

The benq is a nicely built item for sure.

Last edited by exscentric; 11-07-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Memory lapse.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #7
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur

One thing that I have found it can be useful for is that it is a way to transfer files(such as movies) that are on a micro sd card or a usb flash drive to my Kindle Fire, my phone and my Samsung Galaxy Tab when I don't have an internet connection. I can see how it could be handy for that when traveling since it is fairly small. I haven't used it that way yet, but at least there is that use for it. I guess also in a pinch I could use it to charge thsoe devices. Probably if I had it to do over I would pass on buying it. Oh well. Live and learn.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
can you install Ubuntu on it?
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #9
exscentric
Addict

I think I read you could. Google Ubuntu on benq s6. There are how to's on xp if you are interested as well.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
ok, I don't have one yet but they look real nice.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote