Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Where are the Kindle apps in UK?

Why don't we have Kindle apps (scrabble, sudoku etc) in the UK? I've tried searching the web but all I see are kindle apps that let you view books on other devices or apps for the Fire. I assume it must be a legal thing but can't see how this would apply to all apps.

I know we all just want to read but it seems a shame I can't have a simple time waster or two on my device. I don't expect it to play a great game of chess but it would be nice if it could connect to one of the chess servers to display the state of your current games etc.

Mike
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon in their wisdom only sell "active content" in the US (or possibly Canada too). Nowhere else. It is irksome.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do they offer any reason?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
Do they offer any reason?
Yes - a very generic reply which doesn't say anything. This is straight from an actual conversation with Amazon support, I've only edited out (XXXX) a few personal details. (Also note the date, this conversation is over 15 months old, and nothing has changed).

Quote:
Hello,

I understand you've contacted us regarding the availability of Kindle content specifically Kindle Active content in Europe.

Regarding the Kindle content:

Please understand that publishers grant eBook rights on a country by country basis. As a result, availability of titles in the Kindle Store can vary based on your country of residence. We are actively working with publishers to increase our selection.

Regarding the Kindle Active content: I understand that this content is developed directly by Amazon Digital Services and should be available to the International Customers, unfortunately Kindle active content is only available to customers located in the United States.

However, this is something that we need to take serious consideration and I've forwarded your feed back to our Kindle development team, they'll carefully review your comments and take necessary action.

We value the feedback of our customers and make every attempt to integrate their comments or suggestions into our stores and procedures.

We do value our international customers and hope to make Kindle Active content available in more locations in the future.

I can understand that this will be disappointing, however, I hope you will understand our limitations in this situation.

As always, please feel free to contact us should you have future suggestions, questions or comments. We have team of experts who takes into consideration each and every feedback of our customers and brings them into practice.

You can reach us via phone, chat or e-mail through our Help pages here:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

Appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter.

We look forward to seeing you again soon and apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

If yes, please click here:
XXXX

If no, please click here:
XXXX

XXXX

Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
To manage your Kindle and content online, visit:
http://www.amazon.com/cs/manageyourkindle

---- Original message: ----
---------------
03/14/12 16:02:04
Your Name: XXXX
Kindle Name: Kindle
Kindle Serial Number: XXXX
Comments:Hello,

I have a very simple question concerning Kindle content (specifically the free games): why are they not available in Europe? I mean they're free after all, and as far as I can see, they are developed by Amazon itself (Amazon Digital Services; meaning that there shouldn't be any artificial distribution rights issues or so), so why are you putting your international customers at a disadvantage?

Thank you for clarifying this,
best regards

XXXX
---------------
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Probably a good idea to keep hassling them from time to time so they know that people care. It's about time I sent them another moan about it myself. I'll do so.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes - a very generic reply which doesn't say anything. This is straight from an actual conversation with Amazon support, I've only edited out (XXXX) a few personal details. (Also note the date, this conversation is over 15 months old, and nothing has changed).
LOL - I love corporate speak
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #7
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

It's bizarre that they don't have a any real reasons listed in there. It just smells like laziness though you'd think it would take more effort to maintain two versions of the Kindle, one that supports apps and the others that don't. It just seems to make more sense to have a common platform where everything is the same.

Mike
Old 06-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

They don't have "two versions of the Kindle". All Kindles support active content.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:18 AM   #9
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Indeed they do... I have Scrabble on mine (UK)
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
They don't have "two versions of the Kindle". All Kindles support active content.
You're correct. I should of said the systems that list the active content available to the user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Indeed they do... I have Scrabble on mine (UK)
How do I get that then?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
How do I get that then?
You'd need to create an account on Amazon US and pretend that you lived there. I'm afraid I don't know how easy or otherwise that is.

Personally, I have various tablets (Android and iOS) and run apps on those instead. Much less hassle.

I would recommend complaining to Amazon UK about the lack of active content here. The more of us who complain, the more likely Amazon are to take notice.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Exactly as Harry says... live (or pretend to live) there.

Obviously if you flit back and forth across the pond too often alarm bells will sound at Amazon HQ and you may find your account summarily terminated.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
barba
Enthusiast
barba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughingbarba can shake the floor when laughing

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite 1 and Nook HD+ rooted
Also you have to use addon anonymoX from Firefox to change your IP to a USA' IP, because they check your IP
barba is offline   Reply With Quote