Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #76
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtai View Post
Is it wrong of me to be amused at seeing this argument again when the original subject was comics which are usually colour graphics?

Let's face it, even if eInk was the best ever possible display for text, if you need to display colour today, it's not even a contender.
I share your amusement.

I came to this thread honestly back on page 1 when the discussion was about which apps are best for this purpose.

Any talk of the iPad seems to attract visitors from other forums who like to invent ridiculous anti-LCD arguments and call others "fanboys" when their idiocy is pointed out to them.

I do have to wonder what attracted the e-ink evangelists to a thread about comics...color envy?
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #77
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
what's that saying about the grass being greener on LCD?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 07:23 PM   #78
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
[ ... marked for deletion ... ]

Last edited by Sonist; 05-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #79
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
There's nothing more open than a zipped folder with images in it. Pretty sure it's possible to read those a few centuries from now.
I was referring to legit stuff purchased from iBooks, or from vendors like Marvel (see this review here: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01...cs-for-ip.html)
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #80
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotoman View Post
I do have to wonder what attracted the e-ink evangelists to a thread about comics...color envy?
The fanboys and anti-fanboys are just as bad as each other and it is just a shame they can't take their argument to any one of the multiple ebook topics and leave this one to comics like the topic title states.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 09:11 PM   #81
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
To briefly mention the subject of the thread
Had my first chance to get my hands on an iPad this evening.
I emailed myself some pdfs of small extracts from a couple of magazines and a couple of comics to try out on the screen.
Really was better than could have expected, the comics were perfectly readable (as single pages, not double spread), and really looked good. This could be for comics what my eBook reader is for normal books for me.
For eBooks, I was slightly disappointed. I like reading with small fonts, and I did find that the reduced DPI vs my PRS-505 showed, the smallest font sizes (in iBooks) did become a bit blocky. Setting both to an equivalent small sized font, I think the PRS-505 would look better, however, I think that scaling the fonts to give the same text shown across the width of the screen in both, the iPad would look better.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #82
Kirtai
Addict
Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kirtai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-650, iPad, Samsung Galaxy SII (JB), Google Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I was referring to legit stuff purchased from iBooks, or from vendors like Marvel (see this review here: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/01...cs-for-ip.html)
You can get comics legally as scans. Antarctic Press sell the Gold Digger comics up to the end of colour volume 2 (including all specials, mini series and crossovers up to then) on DVD in jpeg and pdf form.
Kirtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:37 PM   #83
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Other sources for comics (and comic-like materials):

http://www.wowio.com/

http://comics.drivethrustuff.com/

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...ls-ebooks.html

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #84
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
just so you know, most scientific research regarding health-related issues usually includes a test group (subjects using the new style, say LCD screens in this test) and a control group (subjects using the existing style, say eInk screens in this test).
You concluded LCD and eInk has the same reading quality. As the technology is different you have to proof that the (reading) results are the same.

A comparison between lcd and eink displays in reading quality is like comparing VHS with BluRay technology. I haven't seen any scientific proof that Blu Ray has a better quality - it speaks for itself.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #85
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

well. that's exactly what a research test would show or disprove wouldn't it? that lcd and eink have the same, or different reading qualities.

still doesn't change the fact that your reference was really nothing more than a fluff piece which lacked any sort of testing at all.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #86
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
well. that's exactly what a research test would show or disprove wouldn't it? that lcd and eink have the same, or different reading qualities.

still doesn't change the fact that your reference was really nothing more than a fluff piece which lacked any sort of testing at all.
A pharmaceutic company has to proof that their pills have the same effect so you implied that lcd and eink have the same quality so you have to proof that.

You doesn't seem to get the idea of a proof.

At least I brought a PhD. paper from an university - there is nothing from your side.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #87
scottjl
Reader of Books

lol. you brought a paper that isn't much better than marketing material from eink manufactures, who probably commissioned the "study" to begin with. next you'll be quoting the national enquirer? you've dragged this thread off-topic enough. enjoy your b/w eink and your "proof". i'm not here to teach you proper research methods.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #88
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
lol. you brought a paper that isn't much better than marketing material from eink manufactures, who probably commissioned the "study" to begin with. next you'll be quoting the national enquirer? you've dragged this thread off-topic enough. enjoy your b/w eink and your "proof". i'm not here to teach you proper research methods.
I doubt you know how to proof anything in a scientific way. No proof or even facts whatsoever from you - I can't take you seriously.

Play with your 'superb' lcd display
Old 05-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #89
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Mods, is there any chance of changing the title of this thread so people won't mistakenly expect to find stuff about comics on the ipad in here when actually it is now a tired old e-ink vs lcd argument that might be relevant to ebooks, but has nothing at all to do with comics since the vast majority of them need a colour screen.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote